Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Scale Boating
Reload this Page >

start out modeling?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Scale Boating Enjoy rc scale boating? Talk about it here.

start out modeling?

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2007, 01:25 PM
RC_Bob

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default start out modeling?

Hi everyone
I'm a beginner to this scale modeling stuff. I'm interested in these model boats that you make from kits and the rc stuff you add to it. However, I do know that I should start out with something easy for starters. So heres my question: To start out, should I get a simple kit that's for making a model boat for display? Or should I get one of those rc boats that requires some assembly?
I'm a big newbie here so don't expect me to know so much. [sm=rolleyes.gif]
Old 07-15-2007, 04:51 PM
LtDoc

Default RE: start out modeling?

RC_Bob,
It sort of depends on how handy you are. If you are all 'thumbs', can't cut anything unless a finger is also cut, and sometimes can't remember which shoe goes on which foot, you're not a lot worse off than a lot of us. It does pay to try to start off a bit 'simple', but not necessarily with a non-R/C boat. Not that a static model is a bad way to start, but it will be different than the average 'R/C' thingy.
Your first boat probably won't be the bestest thing you'll ever build. It will probably be one of your favorite ones though, no matter how bad it is - lol. There are several good 'first boats', and I'm sure you'll be told what they are. I hate to sound like a commercial so I'll leave that alone. One of the 'other' things you might start looking into is tools. Having one of everything in the world would be nice, but certainly not necessary. One of those thingys that people seldom think of to start with is a flat working surface. It also helps if it's level, sort of, and at least as large as the boat/plane/car/bulldozer/whatever you want to get put together. You might also think about starting to grow another hand, arm and shoulder coming from the top of your head! Very handy!
I can't see why you can't do it if I can, or that pencil-necked-geek guy can! Just don't get in a hurry, pay attention to what you're doing, learn to cuss fluently, and don't worry too much about it. Have fun!
- 'Doc

I don't do tattooing, body piercings, or knee caps. I do use those things while teaching cursing. You have to supply your own blue paint and grass skirt.
Old 07-15-2007, 11:32 PM
DONS BOAT WORKS
My Feedback: (3)

Default RE: start out modeling?

You might look at a Vac-U-Tug, good for beginers.
http://www.vac-u-boat.com/Vacutug.htm
A tug also makes a good recovery boat.

Don M.