Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Scale Boating
Reload this Page >

big jet boats kits?

Notices
RC Scale Boating Enjoy rc scale boating? Talk about it here.

big jet boats kits?

Old 09-07-2007, 05:12 PM
joshturner03

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default big jet boats kits?

im looking for a kit or plans prefurably a kit for a large jet boat around 3 to 4 feet long thanks for the help.
Old 09-07-2007, 05:47 PM
Umi_Ryuzuki

Default RE: big jet boats kits?

Swashdrive was making a 2'-7" jet boat for a while.

http://www.swashdrive.com.au/
Old 09-08-2007, 04:19 PM
LClark

I think you could apply jets to a variey of kits......I am putting dual jet drives in a Dumas Dauntless. I bought the items below (2 of everything of course). I am sure to get heck from the traditional Dauntless builders, of whom I have the greatest respect, but I wanted to modernize her. I will be modernizing the cabin structure as well, designing on the fly, looking at modern yacht magazines for ideas.

So Umi, I respect your opinions.....do you think two of these units will push the Dauntless at a reasonable speed? I am not looking for speed records, although the dauntless was fast for her time.

Scale JET drive - copy of a full scale drive system
11-3/8" long x 2-1/4" wide x 2-3/4" high. This is a copy of a full scale jet boat drive system. The basic unit allows forward travel only and steering. The turbine and chambers are made of injection molded nylon. The design and quality of the system is in the tradition of Graupner’s famous high quality propellers for boat and aircraft use. Shafts and bearings are corrosion resistant. Boats fitted with the JET drive can run in very shallow water since there is no rudder, prop shaft, or propeller hanging down. Power each JET drive with a SPEED 700 motor GR3308.
GR2340 Basic JET Propulsion Boat Drive ..... $ 89.30
IN STOCK
Reverse Mechanism
Order this to add reverse to your JET drive. When the reverse mechanism is lowered, the water stream is deflected forwards and the boat runs in reverse. When you lower the reverse mechanism at about half throttle, and give a rudder command, the boat rotates on a dime!
GR2340/1 Reverse Mechanism for Basic JET Propulsion Boat Drive ..... $ 24.90
IN STOCK
This set contains an injection molded flange and an ABS reversing flap.
GR2341 2:1 Toothed Belt Gearbox for Basic JET Propulsion Boat Drive ..... $ 33.90
IN STOCK
Allows the motor to run at very high RPM. Reduces current draw by about half and doubles the running time. This might be desirable if you are using high speed motors such as the ULTRA motors.
Old 09-09-2007, 01:45 AM
joshturner03

well that site u gave me is a little 2 expicive for my blood i make 20.00 an houre and i cant aforred 400 $ for a hull but thanks as for a body i am looking for a wooden one thanks any help aprcieated
Old 09-09-2007, 11:32 AM
Umi_Ryuzuki

I would imagine that those drives would do a good job in a Dauntless.
Quicksilver could give you a better opinion on how well the jet drives run.

Most of my efforts were experimental, and were attempts to get the graupner drive to
perform outside is normal operating parameters.
Old 09-09-2007, 12:43 PM
Quicksilver1

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: Umi_Ryuzuki

I would imagine that those drives would do a good job in a Dauntless.
Quicksilver could give you a better opinion on how well the jet drives run.

Most of my efforts were experimental, and were attempts to get the graupner drive to
perform outside is normal operating parameters.
well, I've got a bit of the same problem, I cant seem to keep myself from overpowering them Which is a problem, since my boat has been sitting on the shelf for about 2 months, after I melted the impeller at 32,000+ rpms.

I think that is the proper drive for the dauntless. You're going to need two 700 series motors for them. I dont think you need the gear box though. You could do it, but that's too complicated for me. It will move the boat dont worry. I use one of those drives on my 30" traxxas villain and am definitely in the 20+mph range. The only part that might be complicated is batteries. Personally I use 16 cells in series, which is overkill, just use 12. With two drives you're looking at 24cells. You could buy the graupner speed 700 9.6v motors, which would cut it down to 16cell. I hear the 8.4v motors are worthless. You'll definitely want to run water cooling off the drives, being a scale boat, youll want to go at a range of speeds so cooling is a must.

They should look pretty scale.

In response to the thread starter, I would just a pick a model you like and install jets on it. There arent too many model jet boats out there. Picking something like the dauntless is nice. The drives graupner makes can fit in almost anything. They also have various sizes. There is one company that makes many kits just for jets. Kehrer in germany makes high quality jet units and boats, but theyre not cheap and shipping isnt cheap as well. Check them out though for ideas if nothing else. www.jet-drive.de
Old 10-07-2007, 12:53 PM
texas_hippie

I put jet drives in the Dumas American Enterprise kit! SCHHHWEET!