Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Scale Boating
Reload this Page >

Mister Darby - Original Kit

Community
Search
Notices
RC Scale Boating Enjoy rc scale boating? Talk about it here.

Mister Darby - Original Kit

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2008, 10:02 AM
PondProwler

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mister Darby - Original Kit

First of all I would like to thank RCU for allowing me access to this great forum and to thank all those that have contributed to the many subjects available.

Briefly, I am new to the forum and my boating skills are very limited. I retired in 2001 and decided that I wanted to build a Dumas Mister Darby tug where upon I purchased the kit, hardware, motors, etc. Upon receiving the order and inspecting the contents of the boxes, all was placed in storage (basement shop) until yesterday when my son stopped by and asked if I still had the kit - he wanted it... I had forgotten about it since other matters required my attention but the prospect of now starting construction as a joint venture with him sounded very appealing to us both.

I have researched the forum and have come to the conclusion that the Dumas motors, speed controller, and hardware kit are less than desirable for use with this kit. If I am right, what do those who have built or are building a Darby recommend? Harbor Models?

Bow Thruster? I can add this, if recommended, but which one? Speed controller(s)?

Probably more questions later but a link to a site that has build photos/documentation would help to reduce the questions asked so many times before.

Thanks in advance for any help you may provide.
Jim
Old 02-05-2008, 01:40 PM
Umi_Ryuzuki

Default RE: Mister Darby - Original Kit

Welcome To RCu

If you have the Dumas Motors, then they should be fine. I think that most people avoid them purely on the basis of cost for "what it is". Dumas charges a bit for putting their lable on it.

A good Electronic Speed Control (ESC) will be a great improvement over the Dumas Mechanical speed control.[link=http://search.horizonhobby.com/index.jsp?D=esc&sid=117EADBF3E7F&Ntt=esc&N=763]Pro Boat[/link] offers two options, and [link=http://www.hobbypeople.net/guru/hps_1017601557.asp]Mtroniks[/link] Viper Marine(10, 15, and 40) is another brand of water proof ESC.
Of these two, I prefer the Mtroniks for scale ships, as they allow a lot of low rpm control. The Pro Boat jumps from fast to faster and seems designed for "go Fast" electric boats.

[link=http://www.modelcontrol.com/]Model Control Devices(MCD)[/link] and Vantec are also good marine ESC. Though the Vantec is subject to a "Frequency Feedback" through the motor. The feed back does not affect any running aspect of the boat, however there is a fairly loud "Whine" that reverberates out of the motors at low speed.

I have only a little experience with the Graupner Bow thruster and it is adequete for what it is.
It is limited to 6-7.2 volts, and complains loudly if run on a higher voltage. Not sure how the Robbe version of the bow thruster runs. But for low speed docking maneuvers or aligning a boat for pushing a load, the thruster can help get the boat in position quickly.

Post pictures of your Darby as you build. Everyone loves a good build up thread.
[8D]
Old 02-05-2008, 10:05 PM
roddys

Default RE: Mister Darby - Original Kit

http://www.rktman.com/rlh/group/group2.html

Try this site. It has some very good pictures.