Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Scale Boating
Reload this Page >

atlantic harbor tug rebuild into a navy YTB or USCG tug *update*lets vote

Community
Search
Notices
RC Scale Boating Enjoy rc scale boating? Talk about it here.
View Poll Results: A poll
U.S. Navy YTB
66.67%
USCG tug
33.33%
Voters: 9. You may not vote on this poll

atlantic harbor tug rebuild into a navy YTB or USCG tug *update*lets vote

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2008, 10:49 AM
Aslvrfrost98csvt

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default atlantic harbor tug rebuild into a navy YTB or USCG tug *update*lets vote

Well my wife went out and got me the atlantic tug for my birthday. As expected the revese was bad, however i had a stock tamiya TEU-101BK esc from my lunchbox and now i have awsome reverse with the stock radio . there is a slight delay for reverse but i can live with it.The next thing is working smoke .i have a few smoke generators from some of my smoke and sound 1/16 rc tanks that i plan on using. they work really well. Plan on changing the pilot house door to the side of the wheel house ,add some wood trim around the pilot house windows as well as change the top of the stack to more of a carol moran type. I also plan on adding more realistic accessories to the tug and finish it off with a navy paint scheme .any other ideas or opinions from you boat guru's would be great thanks.
Old 07-24-2008, 09:59 PM
grinder-RCU
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: atlantic harbor tug

I also own a Atlantic harbour tug. I was wondering about the stuffing tube on mine and if i should be keeping it greased. I tried undoing the grub screws on the rudder servo arm to remove the rudder to remove the flex shaft to lubricrate it but no way was those grub screws coming out so i just left it. I probably have a good 9-10 hrs of run time on the boat. Not a single drop of water inside yet. Other than that i'm very happy with it, minus the reverse issue.

Grinder.
Old 07-28-2008, 05:27 PM
Aslvrfrost98csvt

what would be the proper U.S. navy colors to use on the deck and the cabin areas. the hull will be black .im going to try to scratch build a fire monitor station in front of the wheel house (see pic).and change the bumpers out for the rope style .i just hope it turns out as nice as the rc tanks that ive done.

Old 07-29-2008, 12:04 AM
grinder-RCU

I personally haven't done any scaling out but this would be a good tug platform to start from.

Grinder.
Old 07-29-2008, 11:25 AM
TCHedOff

GRINDER-RCU: Y
es you want to lubricate the flex shaft - not just to keep out water but to reduce wear. In Nitro boats, I've seen comments as that suggest every 2 hrs of run time which sounds about right (some do it more some less).... but that is when running at 25,000 to 30,000 RPMs. Your shaft doesnt turn nearly that many revs, so you'll have much longer between greasing's. Dont know your revs, but this should give you a starting point and you'll just have to do some math.
Old 07-30-2008, 10:57 PM
Aslvrfrost98csvt

after doing some searching i found a couple picture of a yt tug that has some of the same lines as the atlantic tug .

Old 07-31-2008, 09:34 AM
grinder-RCU

I'd say, those pics of the U.S.S. Wahneta Y.T. #134 look pretty close to the Atlantic as your ever gonna get.
Old 08-01-2008, 02:06 PM
Aslvrfrost98csvt

well i did some work mainly on design for my tug. I extended the top deck out so i can put a fire monitor in front (see pics) but before i make the deck in plastic i want some opinions from you guys as to weather it comes out far enough or not .It looks fine to me but opinions are always a good thing.also what would be a good thickness for the styrene to get .

Old 08-02-2008, 12:08 AM
Aslvrfrost98csvt

i thought about lowering the deck house still might. here are some more pics. i decided to move the wheel house door to the side instead oh the back i think it turned out pretty good. ill have to remake the back wall should be simple enough. next will be lip molding around the back of the deckhouse then on to making the masts (any suggestions on what to use would be great).

Old 08-04-2008, 10:55 PM
Aslvrfrost98csvt

Well ive done some more work on the tug today.Thanks to some ideas from toesup i now have my masts mocked up with the rear mast fire monitor platform to see how it looks.I planned on lowering the rear mast to the top edge of the lower blue tape .Let me know what you guys think . Ive also done all the body work on the wheel house and deck house and both now have their first coat of primer. when all is done the deck house and wheel house will be haze gray and the deck itself will be a darker gray, the hull will be either all black or black with the top side edge gray cant decide which (see pictures for reference)the last pic is what look im going for with the rear monitor.

Old 08-06-2008, 11:16 PM
Aslvrfrost98csvt

Well my plastic came today so I decided to do some more work on my tug. First I removed the wood upper deck so I could replace it with the custom one I fabricated out of 2.0mm styrene, which incorporated the front extension for the fire monitor. I made it wider so that there would be an overhang to match the lower deck, instead of being flush. My goal was to make the lower deck and upper deck side overhangs join together flawlessly with some concave edge pieces. After a lot of measuring, cutting, and shaving to make the pieces fit right I think it came out rather well. All thats left is some final smoothing of the body filler and the deckhouse will be ready for paint.

The only real thing I'm struggling with is the three foward mast lights. I have no idea what size to get to make it look right, so any help in that department would be great. As always comments, as well as ideas or suggestions will be greatly appreciated. This is my first scale boat and my backround is scale armor. Don't get me wrong I love my tanks but I've always wanted a tug, so I thought when I came across the atlantic, "Why not?" I know its not perfect, but with some work I think I can pull off a believeable YTB tug.The last picture is the effect i was going for.I think i got the side overhang pretty close.

Old 08-08-2008, 06:15 PM
Aslvrfrost98csvt

well all the major body work and fabrication is finished on the wheel house and deck cabin the over hangs ,fillets are all smoothed out and primed and read for paint. the wheel house has its door relocated and a new back wall is in place and complete and is also ready for paint .The colors are going to be haze gray for the sides of the cabin and wheel house .Dark gray for the actual deck and deck of the cabin the roof of the wheel house will be black .as for the hull im still decideing on the color to go with.either all black or black with the top inch of the hull being haze gray.

Old 08-08-2008, 06:16 PM
Aslvrfrost98csvt

well my wife saw a couple pictures of coast gaurd tug s and suggested that i make mine into a coast gaurd vessel instead of a navy tug (she is not much for the gray) what do you guys think with the mods ive made d you think it could be pulled off making it into a uscg tug below is the pic she saw its belongs to CG Bob .lets take a vote .

Navy YTB or USCG tug.

Old 08-10-2008, 12:40 PM
misshydro

I'd left you a reply to your paint question on generial boating forum. The gray is called battleship gray that the US navy uses on all there ships
Old 08-10-2008, 10:49 PM
Aslvrfrost98csvt

Default RE: atlantic harbor tug rebuild into a navy YTB or USCG tug *update*lets vote

I went and made some bumper housings for the upper deck. The reason i made them was after looking at many pics of YTB's alot of them had them they turned out really good. I also think im going to have to raise the height of the rear mast,because after using one of my sons transformer little dudes (as a stand in for crew) as well as reference pics of the actual mast it looks like it might need to be up higher i might be wrong tell me what you guys think.