Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Scale Boating
Reload this Page >

yorkshireman, good boat for newbies?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Scale Boating Enjoy rc scale boating? Talk about it here.

yorkshireman, good boat for newbies?

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2008, 10:21 PM
tootough

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default yorkshireman, good boat for newbies?

Hey,

i want to buy the boat for sale that Subsinker has. looks pretty cool and i have the cash, no problem. do you guys think it would be a good boat for a newbie such as myself? seems like he has pretty good stuff, going buy his ratings.

Paulie
Old 10-07-2008, 02:31 AM
LtDoc

Default RE: yorkshireman, good boat for newbies?

Paulie,
The company that makes the 'Yorkshireman' kit is a very good one, they make a very nicely done, quality product. The instructions are good. But this isn't exactly a boat a 'newby' should try to build as a fist project, it is not a simple project.
Having said that, and knowing that the boat you are looking at is already built, it may still not be the 'best' thing to learn with. That depends entirely on the one doing the learning though. Sort of like learning to drive in a beat up old junker, or a new Rolls Royce. Certainly possible with either, just less expensive with the junker when you make a 'goof', you know?
If done correctly. As in taking your time. Learning what is/isn't possible with it. Paying attention to what you're doing. Maintaining it like it should be. It would be a very nice boat for the 'right' person to learn with! If you fit in that 'right' category, have a ton of fun with it! Unfortunately, I fall into that 'junker' category. It wouldn't be my best choice as a beginner, I tend to make too many mistakes learning anything.
I hope 'Subsinker' forgives me for saying all that.
- 'Doc
Old 10-08-2008, 09:29 PM
subsinker
My Feedback: (61)

Doc,

No offense taken of course. I agree, it is a very comprehensive kit and somewhat difficult to build. Maintenance is around average. Pull the shafts & grease them, cycle the batteries, dust it and clean it once in a while. But, there are a ton of other RTR boats around today that are probably more suited to "newbies" I know, I run the risk of turning off a potential buyer but I want whomever buys this to be very happy and feel that they got their monies worth.

Pete
Old 10-09-2008, 01:53 AM
joe2011

i think a nice first boat would be an AquaCraft Atlantic Harbor Tugboat if you like tugboats it comes rtr and look's nice to and its easy to keep up or may be a AquaCraft Bristol Bay i have both and they run nice and don't cost too much
well good luck i hope you find what you are looking for
Old 10-19-2008, 12:26 PM
texas_hippie

Just found this thread, although a bit late. Personally, if you have the bucks available, jump on it! The craftsmanship apparent in the pics is top notch. Start slow in an inflatable pool on your back patio, and get used to the handling characteristics and such, and you'll have ship handling down in no time! Before you know it, you'll be entering towing contests. Considering the hours I know it took to build to that standard, you're getting a bargain.
Old 10-24-2008, 11:10 PM
flylady51

Paulie,

Looked at the boat in question, it's awsome. Beautiful detail.

I am not sure as how "newbie" you are but I know that I have a Myrtle Cory on the shop table now, rated for newbies like ourselves and it will be quite a project. I have a Bristol Bay, 3 years running with no problems which led me to racing a Miss Vegas. Both good boats, and thought I was ready to tackle the build. It will be a winter project, the kits are good but if you are not adept building it could be frustrating. I am not a builder, so it has me a bit...cussing. Ive managed to ca things together that are unheard of. I will have to agree with Joe, an RTR is the best intro into boating. As I am finding, the kits can be a bear. Admit they are awsome finished.

If you want to see how you like boating, the Bristol Bay is your girl. Miss Elam or Miss Vegas is your intro into speed. Your kit is awsome, if it's a good price it's worth keeping in the shop until you feel ready to build.

Lady