Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Scale Boating
Reload this Page >

I was given a almost completed Fletcher class Destroyer

Community
Search
Notices
RC Scale Boating Enjoy rc scale boating? Talk about it here.

I was given a almost completed Fletcher class Destroyer

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2008, 11:26 AM
rva1945

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I was given a almost completed Fletcher class Destroyer

I met a guy last Saturday and he showed me an old kit he almost completed, he said it was the Blue Devil Fletcher class destroyer.

All the info I found was of a Lindberg 1/125 kit, the Lindberg 1/125 "Blue Devil Fletcher class destroyer".

Did it exist (the real ship)? Is it an accurate replica?

Could I build another Fletcher class, with the assumption that all of them where "clones"?

OF COURSE I WILL MADE IT RC!!!

Thanks
Old 11-24-2008, 12:09 PM
subsinker
My Feedback: (61)

Default RE: I was given a almost completed Fletcher class Destroyer

Hi,

The ship in fact did really exist. DD-680 USS Melvin I believe. She was a Fletcher class destroyer in WW2. There were two basic designs of that class of ship. Round bridge or square bridge. Armament varied from early war to late war. So any armament you add/delete is probably accurate. Do a Google and you can find out more. As for scale accuracy, that has been a debate for many years. In general, it is a good representation of that class of warships but does have several innaccuracies. Most glaring is the shape of the hull.

However, don't let that stop you from rc'ing one. Just remember to keep it light and keep the weight low in the hull. Otherwise it will heel over badly in turns. I built one a few years ago and it turned out ok. Currently, I am building another 1/96th scale USS Kidd DD-661 so I am brimming with info on Fletchers.

Pete
Old 11-24-2008, 06:56 PM
Deathwish
My Feedback: (6)

Oh the i remeber that one. I had one when i first started out in r/c ships. I got it about 10 yards out sailing smoothly until a radio glitch started making it go backward which put water over the stern of it. Then it sunk . I tryed to go find it but it was November and the water was freezing. Won't be doing that again. Now i have learn from my mistkaes and use a backupsystem to find my ship's (A fishing line and some floation in the superstructor of the ship.
Old 11-25-2008, 06:28 AM
rva1945

I'm so sorry for your loss....

Obviously this hull takes water easily, so to make it RC I will install a WTC inside (water tight cylinder or box) where all the electronics / electric stuff will be installed, and all the available room in the rest of the hull will be filled with a water displacement stuff, maybe foam or something like that. Unsinkable!
Old 11-25-2008, 11:17 PM
HoaRC

I am finishing the fletcher as well!
Old 11-25-2008, 11:19 PM
HoaRC

ORIGINAL: subsinker

Hi,

The ship in fact did really exist. DD-680 USS Melvin I believe. She was a Fletcher class destroyer in WW2. There were two basic designs of that class of ship. Round bridge or square bridge. Armament varied from early war to late war. So any armament you add/delete is probably accurate. Do a Google and you can find out more. As for scale accuracy, that has been a debate for many years. In general, it is a good representation of that class of warships but does have several innaccuracies. Most glaring is the shape of the hull.

However, don't let that stop you from rc'ing one. Just remember to keep it light and keep the weight low in the hull. Otherwise it will heel over badly in turns. I built one a few years ago and it turned out ok. Currently, I am building another 1/96th scale USS Kidd DD-661 so I am brimming with info on Fletchers.

Pete
Dear Mr. Pete,

Can you cite any battle situation where a Fletcher Destroyer saw combat? I'd love to try and reenact one of those some day..

Cheers,

Jeff
Old 11-26-2008, 02:28 AM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

Coral Sea, Midway, Savo Island, GuadalCanal, Cape Esperance, Leyte Gulf, Okinawa, Marianas and is that enough?
Old 11-26-2008, 07:12 AM
rva1945

I think I'll make it as close as possible to the USS Johnston (DD-557). It has an interesting history.
Old 11-27-2008, 02:05 PM
hansvonpensch

A man in our club built one, a comcazie hit his and now he has a purple heart license plate, I saw it the other day on the military channel, it made the top ten ships of all time, they were all over place, they protected aircraft carriers, shelled the shore previous to beach landings, and in at least one critical time, one went head to head with a Japenese cruiser and I think battleship, not wise but it had a couple of American ships out numbered and the destroyer refused to stay clear.
Old 11-28-2008, 03:20 AM
DJLaPalme

You are talking about the " Battle of Leyte Gulf". The USS Johnston fought valiantly against several battleships, heavy cruisers, light cruisers, and anything else the Japs could send. She even got close enough to launch torpedo's. She was sunk in the battle, but she went down fighting. There is a book in another thread on the USS Johnston that tells the story. Dennis