Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Scale Boating
Reload this Page >

Boat Kit Manufacturers?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Scale Boating Enjoy rc scale boating? Talk about it here.

Boat Kit Manufacturers?

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2009, 11:36 AM
dlemo2000

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Boat Kit Manufacturers?

I am finishing my first build in the next month or so and want to purchase another kit. I my building the Jolly Jay from Dumas. It is all wood construction which is kinda fun to work with. The instructions could be better but overall not too bad. I am looking at a couple from Model Slipway, Caldercraft and Billings. Is one better quality than the other or all about the same? I see alot of them have fiberglass hulls already made. I know this will speed up the process but I liked building it from the ground up. Opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Doug
Old 02-20-2009, 12:02 PM
oldiron11

Default RE: Boat Kit Manufacturers?

The three kit manufactures you've mentioned are all excellent kits. Caldercraft and Model Slipways tend toward fiberglass hulls, while Billings tends toward wood plank on frame hulls. That said, Billings are doing fiberglass hulls for some models such as the Smit Nederland. I'm just finishing up a Neddy on a fiberglass hull. I have found the instruction sheets and drawings to be sketchy. Not many words in the instruction sheets, relying more on picture stories. Caldercraft tend to have very good instruction booklets. Caldercraft and Model Slipways produce a very good fittings package for their kits. Billings tends to be more basic turnings with abbreviations in some areas.
Thats my two cents worth.

John
Old 02-21-2009, 09:56 AM
dlemo2000

John, Thanks for the opinion. The Smit is one of the models I am considering. I think from a learning standpoint the wood models built from the ground up help understand the process and terminology. I am not in any hurry so I don't mind the extra time. This forum is great, there are some really talented people with a wealth of knowledge. Thanks again.

Doug
Old 02-21-2009, 08:12 PM
CROWMAN17

I have both the Wyeforce, and Envoy tug from Model Slipways both excellent kits, and great boats to build. Really do enjoy them instructions are OK quality is great.

Marc
Old 02-27-2009, 02:01 PM
scalerc

Can't go wrong with either a Model Slipway or Caldercraft both excellent manufactrurers and first rate customer service. Had a cracked hull on a Marie Felling kit and caldercraft shipped me a new one free of charge. If you want more modern ships you might want to try a Tyne Models kit. I have never built one or seen the quality but the end results look nice. If you are really adventuresome you might want to try a Mount Fleet Models kit. Nice models all designed by the original Caldercraft designer. Only knock is that sometimes the kits are missing pieces and it can be a pain to get replacements but nice range of models.