Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Scale Boating
Reload this Page >

Invader Tug

Community
Search
Notices
RC Scale Boating Enjoy rc scale boating? Talk about it here.

Invader Tug

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2009, 03:44 PM
CKS

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Invader Tug

Hi Guys,
I had my eye on Harbour Models Invader tug boat. It's just the right size but it just vanished now that I want one. I'd appreciate any input on this. I did have an idea about alternative motors for it though; I was thinking about converting two of those electric starters for airplnes. Lots of torgue and a darn sight cheaper. Two of them should really move some water! Any body ever tried it?

CKS
Old 07-27-2009, 04:11 PM
cadmunkey

Default RE: Invader Tug

I don't know anything about the tug, but I would think the airplane starters might not be a good idea. They draw quite a bit of power which would kill your run time. they might not like to be continuously run for a long periods of time either. The one I have says not to run it for more than 30 seconds at a time, and it draws about 15 amps. I am thinking that you could get more power out of a smaller unit that is designed for extended runs and draws less.

I'm just thinking here. Personally I would not go in that direction, but maybe it is a fine solution. Get a couple more opinions on that one before you make your choice.

Cheers,
Old 07-27-2009, 05:59 PM
toesupwa

Have a word with Harbor Models direct, either by phone or by Email.

He may have a hull / kit left or be able to help in tracking down a hull / kit.
Old 08-04-2009, 08:32 AM
CKS

Thanks for the tips. I'd not thought of an extended run time being a problem. A tug that size should hold a car battery so that should not be a problem. I've e-mailed Harbour Models and so far as I can remember, they should be available by now; I might try them again. There just HAS to be a motor for the job that's not RC specific out there somwwhere. Maybe something off a car or something.
Old 08-07-2009, 07:42 PM
wjr63
My Feedback: (1)

Hey CKS Go to your local auto junk yard and get a electric radiator fan motor.lots of power. I am going to build a 52 in coast guard
boat and that is what I am going to use. Wayne
Old 08-08-2009, 08:37 AM
CKS

Thanks Wayne, I just knew there had to be an option to a big Pitman motor. I want to build a big tug over the winter but I don't want the 'Darby'. It's been posted (R/C Groups) that the Invader's glass work is less than ideal, do others think that too, and what other source could I look to for a big (50" min.) tug like the Invader? Thanks again.
CKS
Old 08-10-2011, 11:49 AM
Busch1981

its back at harbor models