Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Scale Boating
Reload this Page >

RFI Suppression

Community
Search
Notices
RC Scale Boating Enjoy rc scale boating? Talk about it here.

RFI Suppression

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2010, 08:47 AM
Reilly4

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RFI Suppression

I have fitted 2 Graupner 700 motors in my 1/24 scale MTB and I am looking for help in what RFI suppression components I need to fit to the motors - ie Capacitors sizes etc.
The motors will run at either 9.6 or 12 volts.

Thanks
Old 01-26-2010, 10:16 AM
mfr02

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts
Default RE: RFI Suppression

Graupner motors that I have used have come ready fitted. Look at the tags - if there is a small thin wire disappearing into the case alongside each tag, they are already in there, and will become connected when the leads are soldered on.
If you need to fit your own, values are very uncritical - anything between 0.001uF and 0.1uF is OK (look for 0.047uF). They should be RF rated, but ceramic, polyester, polythene are all good. Depends on what is available in the shop. The lowest voltage rating (probably 50) is well in excess of anything we use, so the cheapest will work.
Normal configuration is one direct across the motor tags, some feel the need for one from each tag to the motor body.
Old 01-28-2010, 07:21 AM
Reilly4

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: RFI Suppression

Thanks for the advice mfr02. Much appreciated.

I will have a good look at the motors. I did get a friend to buy them in England a few years ago so hopefuuly they will have the suppression fitted.

I bought some 0.047uF capacitors a while back so they should do the job if needed. I also wasn't sure about the smaller ones from the tags to the body.