Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Scale Boating
Reload this Page >

lindberg blue devil destroyer

Community
Search
Notices
RC Scale Boating Enjoy rc scale boating? Talk about it here.

lindberg blue devil destroyer

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2010, 11:16 PM
TruckCrazy
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default lindberg blue devil destroyer

was looking around on the forums and i kept seeing people ripping on the blue devil destroyer saying its cheap and lacking details, grant ya it is but i figure if someones that close to my boat were gunna have an issue lol anyways so i baught one and spent the night building it, its still not done with paint and what not but from what i seen building it i hate the way they set up the drive shafts, to me metal on plastic cant be a good combo and might wear out quick and also not impressed with the way they made the gear box, still trying to figure a way to secure the gears on the brass shafts cause there loose therefore not able to turn the shafts, anyways let me know what u guys think, and maybe give me a few sugestions on what i can do to improve on it or at least tell me how to get the gears to fit snug on the shaft, anyways heres some pics and happy sailing guys.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd92139.jpg
Views:	1191
Size:	70.8 KB
ID:	1404369   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xt60222.jpg
Views:	3186
Size:	60.4 KB
ID:	1404370  
Old 03-24-2010, 11:21 PM
Deathwish
My Feedback: (6)

Default RE: lindberg blue devil destroyer

i see you got your deodorant near by for those long night's at building stuff. lol I also had a blue devil. Geeat little ship.
Old 03-24-2010, 11:22 PM
TruckCrazy

how did u get the gears to press snuggly onto the shafts? mine are lose and pissing me off lol
Old 03-24-2010, 11:32 PM
Deathwish
My Feedback: (6)

oh i cant remeber it was back in 96 i had one.
Old 03-24-2010, 11:33 PM
TruckCrazy

lol alright no worries ill figure something out lets just hope ill still have hair by the time i figure it out, tired of ripping it out in frusteration
Old 03-25-2010, 10:38 PM
Saxondog

I have one shelfed,it's been a number of years but they had an upgrade kit for the blue devil and the PT109.I installed the kit and a world of difference.Kit contained two black cap type motors,twin props,shaft supports,couplings and mounts.It may still be available,also they are releasing the 1/144 Arizona this year soLindbergmodels are stillproducingnew large scale kits and they may generate renewed interest in the older Lindberg large scale ships.
Old 03-26-2010, 07:09 AM
cheap tank

I build one years ago with twin motors, brass tube stuffing boxes and props it was a great running model.
Old 03-26-2010, 08:36 AM
cyclops2

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I built 2 of them.

I used the direct drive to the props on the first one....Got smarter on the 2 nd boat & used 1 prop in a plastic tube with a LIGHT coating of grease on the shaft. 1 larger rudder only.
a modified standard sized servo as my speed control.
After I got the hull & RC stuff working in a bathtub, I spot glued the receiver antenna around the inside top of the hull. Do not get too close to the top, or the main deck will not fit right.

The boat IS VERY top heavy. I cut out all the center part of each deck as I built it up. EVERY RC thing is mounted RIGHT ON THE CENTERLINE on the bottom of the hull. I used GE Silicone rubber VERY lightly ALL around the hull to deck & superstructure to main deck seams. SEAL ALL holes that will let splashed on water get to the bottom of the hull. THe top leve was removable &l had the RC battery charge / on / off switch. The drive motor ran off the receiver batteries.

Piece of cake. The boat is VERY FAST with almost any prop. A single STOCK prop was more that enough. GE rubber is removable if you need to get into the hull again.

Use just enough to seal. NO EXTRA HEAVY or the deck is a problem to remove. It takes 6 hours to set.
PM me if you need some help.
Old 03-26-2010, 01:39 PM
TruckCrazy

made a little modification my guess is its gunna burn out the little motors but i used two butchered servos which i learned to do way back for robots or when i used to make mini ww2 tanks and used them for drives(pretty strong) but i stripped them and put them in seems to work alright im the bathtub, forward and reverse works alright just need to hook up rudder next and i have a perfect idea for that, but what i noticed out of the older futaba servos gave me the perfect motors to mount to the existing mount all u have to do is use the one mounting peice where ur shafts would of exited and then take out the plastic bearing and ur left with three holes. middle largest which need to be reamed to fit the motor and the other two beside it surprizingly matched up perfectly to the mounting holes on the motors, shocked me made life so easy, so anyways that basicly what i did, see what u guys think of the pics, will kinda explain themselves

Name:	Yw66723.jpg
Views:	1987
Size:	85.6 KB
ID:	1405311   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cx76798.jpg
Views:	804
Size:	76.7 KB
ID:	1405312  
Old 04-04-2010, 10:12 PM
deckape

Ahoy

Here is a picture of mine i bought this back in 1962 I had this all those years I built it 40 years ago I was 19 years young back then I built it when i was aboard ship bo

xed her up and sent her home 3 years ago i Rc her she runs great

Name:	Ge94333.jpg
Views:	2762
Size:	97.6 KB
ID:	1412061   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hc93191.jpg
Views:	599
Size:	92.7 KB
ID:	1412062  
Old 04-05-2010, 04:56 AM
karel47

nice boat dough a missed opertunety to add more detail i find, that's just the fun of making models, build little details scratch so make it like the real one. A pity you left him in the state lindberg made it, no offense meaning
Old 04-05-2010, 04:58 AM
karel47

you still can do rework on it its worth the result it's almost 96cm tall
Old 04-05-2010, 08:28 AM
deckape

THE BLUE DAVEL DESTROYER AT ONE TIME WAS VERY POPULAR SHIP FOR $11.95 IT WAS THE MOST EXPENSIVE MODEL ON THE MARKET IN PLASTIC, I GOT MINE AT A TO Z DISCOUNT STORE IN VENTURA CALIFORNIA. I GOT IT IN 1962 WHEN IT WAS FIRST RELEASED. A TO Z HAD OVER 200 KITS OF THIS STOCKED TO THE OVERHEAD, ONLY WAY TO GET THESE KITS SOLD WAS TO SELL THEM HALF OFF THE MARKET PRICE. I GOT MINE FOR $5.00 I WAS HOME FOR LEAVE WHEN I WAS IN THE NAVY I TOOK IT ABOARD SHIP AND BUILD IT WHEN I HAD THE TIME I HAD A CHEAP BADGER AIRBRUSH TO PAINT HER BY. THE PAINT THATS ON HER NOW WAS ORIGINAL PAINT I GOT FROM THE PAINT LOCKER ABOARD SHIP, HAZE GRAY. BLACK PALE GRAY WITH RED OXIDE ANTI FOUL PAINT FOR THE HULL. I WAS STATIONED ON THE U.S.S. WILLIAM C LAW A 2100 TON CLASS FLETCHER.

THE HULL WASN,T ACCURATE I HAD TO MODIFI IT I ADDED BILGE KEELS THE MOTOR ASSEMBLY BACK THEN WAS THE STATE OF ART NOW DAYS JUNK BUT USEABLE. MINE HAD THE GEARED REDUCTION THAT OPPEREATED TURRETS AND TORPEDO TUBES. A GIMIC KIT TO SAY THE LEAST 3 YEARS BACK I GUTTED ALL JUNK INSTALLED 2 THREE BLADED SCREWS TO MOTORS DIRECT DRIVE SPEED CONTROLL SET UP 6 VOLT WET CELL BATTERY I,M ALL SET. THERE WERE NO DETAIL PARTS DO IT RIGHT BACK THEN IT IS BUILT OUT OF THE BOX EXCEPT THE MODIFICATION TO THE HULL AND BILGE KEELS
Old 04-05-2010, 03:57 PM
karel47

yes thats right, but am busy on a 1/128 sale HMSHowe the sistership of the HMSKing George V its 186cm tall and also no beams on the body ... that's just the fun to add scratch items i have just a few items and plans. I have to build much in scratch or rebuild some items halve like the big four barrel cannons are realy lack details anywhere but its a start. I payed about 150€ for the fiberglass hull and its items and plans wich is very cheap ... it will take maybe ten years of modelling on it but that's the fun ... making our models realistic ... i bet with a little scratchbuild your fletcher will be almost close to a scalemodel ... not that i accuse you of anything ... i think if i had the chance to buy a fletcher i will do and upgrade him totaly

Just have fun with it

karel

yes i poste pics as soon as my foredeck is ready installed with the ankers
Old 04-06-2010, 12:04 AM
deckape

As to the my Blue Devel I,m not that serious about detailing her out and make her scale I just had it most of my life I done as much as I wanted to do it works. I have a picture of Battleship Row all Rc U.S.S. ARIZONA BB39 1/8TH SCALE U.S.S. WEST VIRGINIA 1/300 SCALE All scratch built from plans from the Floating Drydock they both painted in Measure 1 5D 1941

Name:	Qo40419.jpg
Views:	887
Size:	80.0 KB
ID:	1412820  
Old 05-31-2010, 08:56 AM
1sgt

Wow,
What a find, I was looking at posts from cheaptank on a post he made on PZ IV schuzern and saw he commented on the Blue Devil. I also buil her back in 1980. I was stationed in Holland and bought it at a Dutch toy store. With the exchange rate ( pre Euro ) it was a steal. I also bought RC equipment and installed it as well. I junked the turret and torpedo tube mechanism, as well as the gear box. Used direct drive with a speed controller. Boy oh boy was it fast. Had to be carefull not to floor it from a standstill as the torque would almost capsize it( didn't think of using counter rotating props ). I still have it, but in all my military moves she has been kinda busted up. Was thinking of trying to rebuild her, or just get another one. I do admit detail is lacking and either way I go, I will probably upgrade her. Also own the Lindberg comemerative edition of the PT 109, 1/40 scale I believe, just haven't built it yet ( got tied up with 1/16 rc tanks ), as well as the Robbe PT 15 Japenese Patrol boat about 1/40th as well I would love to get the 1/144 Arizona, I'm sure it would be big enough to RC.

Jim
Old 06-04-2010, 08:48 PM
Saxondog

Deckape,WOW just love the old battleships,miss the Tennessee and California large scale wooden kits available in the 60-70.Yours looks great and proper coloring as well. Hope the new ARIZONA comes out soon have you any news on the kit? Please post some more picture of thebattle wagons? And the blue devil looks great,I am posting the PT-109 WHICH HAS THE SAME UPGRADED ENGINE PACKAGE AS MY Blue Devil. That kit and several others are in storage. I do have two unbuilt PT109's one is on e-bay,have not decided about the other. On a side note,Buckley lived in Memphis and in Cordoba part of Memphis is the little known PT Boatmuseumhisgranddaughterwas running it several years back,many rare personal items. Saxondog (TRUCKCRAZY This was the aftermarket drive package motors,this boat is 20yrs old,These engines really made the blue devil roll. I will try to find out if the kit is still available. Great job you have done.

Name:	Eb87040.jpg
Views:	551
Size:	232.2 KB
ID:	1447998   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kf14340.jpg
Views:	586
Size:	289.0 KB
ID:	1447999   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bg94303.jpg
Views:	526
Size:	214.5 KB
ID:	1448000  
Old 06-12-2010, 03:07 PM
flyboy4422

Guys,I just used a pair of associated car motors that were real cheap,this thing hawls butt.I also used an 8.4 nimh battery for power.I have the PT 109 that is powered the same way but is a little faster.Cant knock the boats for the price for a model adapted to Rc,had mine for 20yrs now and still goin strong
Old 05-13-2015, 12:22 PM
jefftarz64 @gmail.com

How to: blue. Devil destroyer
.motor shafts batteries etc.n. how to take deck on n off without breaking fine details..