RC Scale Boating Enjoy rc scale boating? Talk about it here.

Shelly Foss Tug Build 76 inch

Old 06-24-2010, 06:12 PM
tsenecal

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Shelly Foss Tug Build 76 inch

dallas,

I have built the 24" shelley foss, so this is bringing back memories, both good and bad amazing what similarities there are.. (is mine a 1:3rd scale version of yours?) great build.

one thing i would recommend: ditch the grain of wheat bulbs and go for LEDs.
Old 06-25-2010, 01:12 AM
dallas2254

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

My first Shelly Foss was a 36 inch back 20 years ago. I did a really novice paint job and railing job on it so recently I cleaned it all up, repainted it the true colors and re did all the railings with solid brass and solder. Looks really good now. Gave me the motivation to knock off this big Shelly Foss.

With regards to the Grain of Wheat lights. I researched the LED's and could probably figuring out the wiring for them. I could do it but I decided that I wanted more authentic lighting and besides I am running two full size marine blue top optima batteries in this tug to get the weight in it so I am not going to have an electrical supply problem. May even put an air horn in it. I may still put a few led's for the spot lights.

I just started wiring my 6 foot Harbor Tug tonight. The motor, prop and shaft is in and the power supply is on it. Just need to hook up the controllers for the motor and the bow thruster and I will be ready to do it's first test run to see how much wieght that tug will need.
Old 06-25-2010, 11:54 AM
tsenecal

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

dallas,

I switched over to LEDs because of the life span, not for electrical reasons.

With a life of 20,000 hours, I don't think my great grand children will need to replace them, andIt is nice to know that I will never have a dead bulb in the middle of a mast that I have to fish out and replace again.

I like what Umi has done with LEDs cast into components, they look fantastic, and never have to be looked at for maintenance.
Old 06-25-2010, 01:56 PM
dallas2254

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Ok,

Now you have peaked my interest. Show me what UMI has done. I originally built these two monter scale tugs for just hauling a few carona beers down to my neighbors sitting on their docks or out to boaters on the lake without having to move off my dock (with style). Might as well consider doing it with some bling. I have never worked with lights on my boats nor experimented with LED's which I understand need a few extra electrical connections.

Thanks

Dallas
Old 06-25-2010, 06:20 PM
tsenecal

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

LEDs only weirdness is that they need a specific voltage, and the best way to get to that voltage is by wiring in a resistor. no biggie, and several websites now exist that will calculate the proper resistor for your voltage needs.

UMI's stuff may be a little small for this beastie, but you can always ask.

her website:
http://mysite.ncnetwork.net/res1tf1s/id12.html

Old 06-29-2010, 02:05 AM
dallas2254

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

14:1 scale is what I need. Sort of no man’s land when it comes to building large scale. On the one side is all the hobby stores that carry the kit parts for 20:1 or smaller scale applications and then there is West Marine that carries all the accessories for 1:1 scale. With 14:1 scale there is definitely a requirement for a band saw, drill and big imagination.
Old 07-09-2010, 03:42 PM
tsenecal

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

dallas, any progress lately?
Old 07-10-2010, 10:22 AM
dallas2254

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Summer rolled in and I had to catch up on all my honey do projects and water skiing. I ordered 95 yards of comp mulch (bark) to spread out in the yard so that is taking my time. Big Yard, 1 acre

I have been ordering up some of the running gear for it and working on my 6 foot version of the 85 foot harbor tug (in another thread) putting all the electrical in so that I can get a better idea of how to do the electrical in this Shelly Foss.
Old 09-23-2010, 08:25 PM
Rogue Sub

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

any news?
Old 09-27-2010, 11:19 PM
dallas2254

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

not really, bought a 2004 42 foot country coach motor home and that became my new hobby for a few months. Much prefer a 12 liter cat diesel engine to a pittman motor. Will try to work on the tugs this winter.

Dallas
Old 01-12-2011, 01:10 PM
Apismelifera

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I have been following your build with great interest. You're doing a fine job of it so far. And am awaiting further pictures of your tug as you progress. I'll just sit quietly over here in the corner and keep out of your way.
Old 01-12-2011, 02:57 PM
foodstick

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Just out of curiousity, does anyone have a guesstimate of what the all up weight will be with ballast?
Old 01-16-2011, 06:20 PM
dallas2254

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I think this tug will be about 35 lbs for the finished tug plus three deep cell 12 volt boat batteries (40lbs each) for ballast that I install after I have lowered the tug into the water. I made the hull lite without any ballast so I could easily transport it.

Dallas
Old 02-18-2011, 07:21 PM
Alexanderd

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Dallas I was wondering if youve decided on the motors for the tug
Old 02-19-2011, 11:52 AM
dallas2254

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I am going to use a combination of Pittman Motors and belt reduction drive units. See pictures below. I bought a reduction belt drive and replaced the motor it came with, with a pittman 12 volt motor. Not easy to find these Pittman motors anymore but I did find a few over the year. Have not worked on the Shelly Foss for a year now. Too many other projects on my bucket list right now. Just went down and snapped these pictures this morning for you.

The picture of the motor in the boat is of my 6 foot harbor tug set up which works really well. The prop is slightly bigger than the two props that will be on the Shelly foss. The pittman gets pretty warm to the touch since it is turning a 5.25 inch prop on the harbor tug. With the Shely foss it will be turning 4.5 inch kort props with a 2:1 reduction belt drive X 2 props and motors.

Dallas
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	hf10051.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	382.4 KB
ID:	1566503   Click image for larger version

Name:	kf14253.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	801.1 KB
ID:	1566504   Click image for larger version

Name:	ns44530.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	668.2 KB
ID:	1566505   Click image for larger version

Name:	vo37150.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	753.6 KB
ID:	1566506   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lg17616.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	67.9 KB
ID:	1566507   Click image for larger version

Name:	Id95779.jpg
Views:	321
Size:	99.2 KB
ID:	1566508  
Old 02-20-2011, 07:24 PM
Alexanderd

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Dallas Iv been looking for that model of pitman motor with no luck Im looking at Astro Flights 442 marine motor with a gear box with a 3:3 to 1 ratio do you think they will push the shelly foss at a decent speed
Have you worked out how much ballast Tug is going to need to get her down to water line
Old 02-20-2011, 10:08 PM
dallas2254

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I have the astro flights in my 48 inch shelly foss but not sure if they would be good for a 4.5 inch prop. You want a motor that has sufficient windings and armitures so that the electronic speed control does not get figity at lower speeds. Creates a lot of heat when an electic motor is pushing a big prop at slow speeds and the electricity is arcing across the armitures as it spins around.

I am not an electrician nor do I know motors that well. I do know that the Pittman motors that I have do the best job at slow speeds and they are so quite. These motors were made for a particular navy project and were surplused many years ago. You can actually still get them as brand new but you pay over $200 or more for them. Probably not worth it. I found mine from other model builders that had them. The one in my harbor tug is brand new old stock.

I am not sure if the gearing in the Astros will be good for swinging the big prop either. I like the belt drive reduction over the gear. I have toyed with using various motors out of transfer pumps like they have at harbor freight for $25. Just take apart the impellor and pump on the front and you have a motor. Then order the belt, pulleys, bearings and shafts from some place in Europe over the internet and built the gear reduction unit. The trick is to find a motor with good windings and lots of armitures to reduce the arcing of the magnets when you are running slow to avoid the heat build up. Again I am probably not explaining this right but it does matter in terms of the quality of the motor to run at both slow and fast speeds efficiently. The 800 or 850 motor that was in one the previous pictures with the gear drive mounted on it really got hot with the 5 inch prop at all speeds. I replace that motor with the Pittman motor and it was just fine.

One guy I met at a rc meeting actually took at motor from a radar on a boat and used that for his belt driven drive motor. As I recall it was surplus and it was about 4 inches round by 6 inchs long. He was turning a 6 inch prop.

I am not sure when and if I will be getting around to finishing the 6 foot foss tug. I guess I would need maybe three more weekends to finish it but with the number of hobbies I have, I do not have that time right now.

Hope that helps

Dallas
Old 02-21-2011, 12:29 AM
Alexanderd

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Thanks Dallas It does help I dont want to order Tug Kit untill Iv the drive train for it sending to $$$$$ for it is not the problem getting them is LOL
Dallas what about the American Bosch motors from Loyalhanna Dockyard running through a gear box of 3:1 reduction just putting ideas out there
Old 02-21-2011, 09:16 AM
dallas2254

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

The american Bosch are very good motors too. I tired to get some but they were out. Ebay is very limited on them too. They have not been made for years. If you go to a wrecking yard you might find them on the older 1960's and 1970's car wiper motors. The problem is that some of them have a adapter places on the face of them that are part of the wiper assembly and so they are not a clean motor. If you can find two of these at Loyalhanna then you will have a good motor to use in your tug. They are twice the size of the Pittman but that is ok since you will have more than enough hull to put them in. They work at lower speeds too since that is whata they were designed for. You may need to had a belt drive to make the speed of the prop more authentic though.

You are going to need the weight of at least three car batteries to get the hull to go down to the waterline. Build the tug light without any lead ballast so you can easily carry the hull where you want to take it. Biggest mistake I see is someone building these big boats and getting them so heavy that they need a small trailer or two people to load them into the water. That is what led shot weight packets from dive shops are for. I throw a few of them into the bottom of my tug for extra weight if I am just running one deep cell optima boat battery for weight.

Dallas
Old 02-22-2011, 04:24 AM
Alexanderd

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

dallas are you planning to make the nozzles for your propsor are youbuying them from some whereand how are you going to support them against the tugs hull i would like to use nozzles on my build just trying to figure to hows of useing them on a twin prop hull I think Im going to have to buy a lathe and milling head LOL let me know how are you going to handle this if you dont mind
Old 02-22-2011, 09:39 AM
dallas2254

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I bought some special order cut pipe (aluminum and copper tube) from a place located here in Seattle. Quite the Candy store for buying all types of metals in any length you want. [link=http://www.onlinemetals.com/]Onlinemetals[/link] . I bought various pieces that I can tig weld or braze together depending upon whether I go Copper or aluminum. I think I walked away with an overkill amount of various odds and ends of metal so that I can improvise.

You will see the round tubing that I plan to use for the kort nozzels in the pictures I just took this morning

D
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	mk27706.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	738.1 KB
ID:	1568259   Click image for larger version

Name:	je99211.jpg
Views:	189
Size:	599.1 KB
ID:	1568260   Click image for larger version

Name:	lr39438.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	621.6 KB
ID:	1568261   Click image for larger version

Name:	dw65182.jpg
Views:	186
Size:	687.1 KB
ID:	1568262  
Old 02-22-2011, 10:51 AM
Alexanderd

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Dallas those Pics are making my mouth water I cant wait to get started building mine youve done a greatjob on your build did you use the build instruction for Dumas Shelly Foss tug Iv ordered them to help in my build
The props in the pics did you get them from harbor Models I dont think they had nozzle props of 4.5 inches
Old 02-22-2011, 02:14 PM
dallas2254

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I had my 36 inch Shelly Foss as my prototype to build this on. I used the plans off the dumas 36 shelly Foss also. I ended up redoing the railings, electronics and paint job on my 36 inch model because it was my first build about 25 years ago and I did a really bad job on it. Now it looks as good as my Harbor tug and provides me inspiration for building the 6+ foot Shely Foss. I also have (2) 48 Shelly Foss Tugs. One still in its originaly unmolested box that has not been built yet and one that someone else started to build but passed away before they could finish it and I bought it off their estate. The builder got off the plans a bit building out the fiberglass hull and mating the deck to it so I figure I will start over with it and make it better. But then again, the 6 foot Shelly Foss is the bomb and anything smaller just does not seem right.

I got most of the prop hardware from a number of german hobby shops and Harbor Models. I have bow thrusters, smoke generators, fire monitors, water pumps, LED 12 volt lighting, electronic switches and all the other fun stuff to go on these big tugs. Trick is finding the right scale stuff to look right. I found various new old stock real rubber tires from various hobby model trucks and 4 wheeler manufactures that were selling the remaining stock of tires so that I could put tires around both tugs.

I live on a large lake here in Bellevue WA so both of my 6 foot tugs will be easier to see and be able to tow a sizable load.....like me on a inner tub with a cold one.

Now if I only had the time to work on them.

D
Old 02-22-2011, 02:38 PM
Rogue Sub

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

wow touring around in a motorhome sampling the lakes of america with your tugs...good times
Old 02-22-2011, 02:38 PM
Alexanderd

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Dallas I know what you mean about other hobbies I also have gas models and a6 foot american cup sailboatnot to mention Ev a 30 feet fishing boat iv always wanted to build a very large tug boat had just about giving up on building a large tug untill i came across yours on RCU as for all the hardware i think Iv everything lined up now Iv got to make space in my DOG HOUSe for this large model Hope to start building in about 8 weeks

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service