RC Scale Boating Enjoy rc scale boating? Talk about it here.

Shelly Foss Tug Build 76 inch

Old 02-23-2011, 07:48 PM
Alexanderd

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Shelly Foss Tug Build 76 inch

Dallas
I placed my oder today for the Shelly Foss kit today from Aerodesign I cant wait to start this build Im going to start building the strong back this weekend
Old 02-25-2011, 01:16 PM
dallas2254

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Shelly Foss Tug Build 76 inch

I sent you and email today describing the build. Take your time on the strong back and wait to glue it together until you lay out the ribs and the Keel to see where the Jig will align with the ribs and Keel. You are going to have to re notch a few of the rib points on the Keel so don't assume that the jig will fit correctly untill you get the parts. From experience, I had to bust off a couple of my jig holders and move them a 1/4 inch here or there to get them aligned with the Keel, and bulkwards and ribs. This Kit is not perfect but it does save alot of time and the laser cut parts are pretty kewl! You will need a board that is at least 7 feet long for the base and maybe 30 inches wide to put the vertical jigs in place. My board was 6 feet long and the hull stuck out over it. When you are working with fiberglass it would be nice for the jig to get the droppings and not the table or floor.

Have plenty of wax paper to lay down when you are putting the parts together with fiber glass cloth and resin. Since this tug is over 6 feet long and the parts that are cut from smaller plywood will have to be puzzled together, it makes for a good bond to lay down wax paper, the laser cut pieces, a thin layer of fiberglass cloth the next laser cut peice and the wax paper covered with a long peice of 3/4 sawdust board (flat) with a bunch of wieght on top of the that to get a really smooth peice. Basically you will be given a buch of laser cut pieces that need to be doubled up and they fit together like puzzle pieces. I have found that using fiberglass in between the joints assures a really good joint that will not break at the joint when you are are bending it later. This applies to just the ribs.

There is so much I learned how to do while building this model that I know I could rebuild it in half the time now that I know how to do it. there are not instructions with a model like this. Just alot of improvising. By the way, have on hand a bunch of straps that can be tightend by a ratchet, clamps of all sizes and lenghts and bungie cords too. You will see in some of my pictures on the build that you will need them if you are working by yourself.

D
Old 02-20-2019, 07:17 PM
dallas2254

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Update on my 76 inch Shelly Foss Tug Boat. Finally found time to finish it this past month by taking in to our motor coach to Palm Springs and setting up a wood working shop in my Casita. Installed all the hardware and painted it Foss colors. Then had a change of plans and changed it to Island Tug and Barge (Seattle) colors since our next door neighbors are the owners of that tug company and he was considering buying the tug at one time. Manson now owns it and has painted it Red and White. Now the owner of ITB is interested in it again now that he sees it the way he would paint it. He thought it might be for sale again. The following are the paint scheme of Foss Tug (original colors) and then the repaint a few weeks later to what it is now. Ready to launch it after I get my order of 200 lbs of steel shot through Amazon next weeks to add ballast to it (after I put it in the water) the tug weights about 40 lbs without the 12 volt Blue Top AGM battery and removable ballast.

Has twin Pittman motors on separate speed controllers with a Futaba 2.4 ghz twin controller Navy transmitter. Sound board and smoker too.

76 inch Shelly Foss Colors

76 inch Island Tug & Barge (Seattle) colors (formerly Shelly Foss)

Old 02-20-2019, 08:01 PM
Kmot
My Feedback: (24)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Oh wow, she looks fabulous!! Bravo!!
Old 02-23-2019, 12:34 PM
dallas2254

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

First run of 6 foot long Shelly Foss, painted in Island Tug and Barge, Seattle WA, at Motor Coach Country Club pond in Indio CA. loaded up with 200 lbs of ballast. Two pittman motors and a Blue Top AGM battery with a Futaba F-14, 2.4 ghz navy transmitter. This thing has a lot of push. Ran great. Sound just like the real tug too.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/15OD...ew?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Uu-...ew?usp=sharing

Last edited by dallas2254; 02-24-2019 at 10:39 AM.
Old 02-23-2019, 04:40 PM
Kmot

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

That tug is awesome! Would love to see a full length video. Loading ballast, launching, running, retrieving, pushing, etc.
Old 02-26-2019, 10:33 AM
dallas2254

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

having fun playing with the new tug and twin screws

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1g6O...ew?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1wx_...ew?usp=sharing

Last edited by dallas2254; 02-26-2019 at 10:45 AM.
Old 03-05-2019, 11:02 PM
dallas2254

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

More video of 76 inch Shelly Foss

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1nm5...ew?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1g6O...ew?usp=sharing

Last edited by dallas2254; 03-05-2019 at 11:13 PM.
Old 03-06-2019, 04:02 PM
Kmot

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I can think of two companies that make sound systems for boats. Model Solutions of Canada, and Harbor Models. Are either of those the sound unit you are using? It sounds very authentic by the way and really enhances the model. I might be tempted to add the Harbor Models smoker as well.
Old 03-07-2019, 08:02 AM
dallas2254

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I have the smoker and sound from harbor models installed on this tug. Pictures donít show the smoke because it was turned off. With the large smoker I only get about 45 minutes of smoke at a regulated 12 volts (I am running a optima 12 volt AGM battery so pushing more than 12 volts. I have the tug running on a large canal system in the Coachella so I run out of smoke oil before canal 🤪
Old 03-07-2019, 03:44 PM
Kmot

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Awesome! ��
Old 03-09-2019, 08:32 AM
dallas2254

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Well now that I am done building the 85' harbor tug (other post) and the 76 inch Shelly Foss that Martin at Aerodesign helped me design, Martin is redesigning the 85' foot Harbor tug cabin to go on the Shelly Foss Hull. The Shelly Foss Hull by far a great platform for building almost any stable twin screw hull and it was fairly easy to work with light plywood to make the hull look like a steel hull. I am going for a mid century looking tug now that resembles the older style tug look but with twin screws (big electric motors and 5 inch counter rotating 5 bladed props) so I can pull large objects in the canal. I am thinking red on white cabin and black hull would complete my fleet.

Thanks to Martin for collaborating with me to laser cutting many of the structural elements including the cabin. Expecting two very heavy boxes of laser cut plywood to show up in the next couple weeks.

Maybe with the look of a 1954 tug like this with a more modern Shelly Foss hull under. Painted red on white with a black hull