Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Scale Boating
Reload this Page >

Scratch built push tug

Notices
RC Scale Boating Enjoy rc scale boating? Talk about it here.

Scratch built push tug

Old 09-14-2010, 08:45 PM
redlined_b16a

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Scratch built push tug

props and shafts are in

mock up but they look small so i'll leave room for 60mm props or maybe 5 blades,what do you think

I can see know where I went wrong on alot of the hull but this is my first and I know the next will be better...and smaller.
do you think the 50 mm's are too small,I hooked them up to a dremel and at 10000 rpm freeload turned into about 5000 in water,one prop pushed a great bit of thrust.I based my prop size off of my Bristol Bay with a 3 blade 50mm,direct drive 550 50 turn it pushes alot of propwash so I figured two 50mm's shoudl do it
Old 09-15-2010, 05:01 PM
rblubaugh
My Feedback: (5)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think "looks can be deceiving". You have TWO 50mm props driven by counter rotating 550 motors with 3:1 reduction (either gear or belt, doesn't matter) so you're talking about a LOT of thrust. Would 60mm props be better? Maybe, but one thing for sure they would definitely be over working the motors (I know, you're going to water cool them, still you'll be working the motors a lot harder with 60mm props). Five blade 50mm or 45mm could make a difference without killing the motors.

Right now things 'look' pretty good. You're going to neede to finish up the boat with something like 1 oz. fiberglass on the hull, seal the inside, get your deck with push knees installed, bitts and any other deck hardware you want, a light weight superstructure (build it out of styrene or sintra), get all the gear inside and hooked up, THEN you will know for sure about the props. Whew!

Bob
Old 09-15-2010, 08:44 PM
ironman123

Looking pretty kool Micky.  What kind of Rudders are you going to use?   I didn't leave much room for a big rudder on mine so I added 1 and a half inches to the stern and made a bigger rudder.   I think I will miss the World Championship Gumbo Cook-Off in New Iberia in October.  No dog sitter lined up.  Ray  (ironman123)
Old 09-15-2010, 10:21 PM
redlined_b16a

ORIGINAL: ironman123

Looking pretty kool Micky. What kind of Rudders are you going to use? I didn't leave much room for a big rudder on mine so I added 1 and a half inches to the stern and made a bigger rudder. I think I will miss the World Championship Gumbo Cook-Off in New Iberia in October. No dog sitter lined up. Ray (ironman123)
SO HOW DO YOU know ,my name and Gumbo Rocks
Old 09-23-2010, 07:54 PM
Rogue Sub

Didnt really get a sense of the scale till I saw the pic of it next to the bristol bay. Looks like a nice big pusher. I also looked for anything you could put a b16 in and didnt see it in the photos.
Old 09-26-2010, 12:23 PM
redlined_b16a

ORIGINAL: Nuke Mechanic

Didnt really get a sense of the scale till I saw the pic of it next to the bristol bay. Looks like a nice big pusher. I also looked for anything you could put a b16 in and didnt see it in the photos.
lol that was my del sol/eg6 days........long gone the b16a ia a torqueless wonder and its very reliable
Id perfer the b18c for showing off but the b16 for sport
Old 02-19-2013, 07:48 PM
redlined_b16a

Added 1" of bottom to clear 65mm props

And more scale