RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Scale Boating (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-scale-boating-103/)
-   -   My boat lost ‘reverse’; where might the problem lie? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-scale-boating-103/10756659-my-boat-lost-%E2%80%98reverse%E2%80%99%3B-where-might-problem-lie.html)

DUKWsInARow 10-09-2011 02:42 PM

My boat lost ‘reverse’; where might the problem lie?

I was testing my recently sea-worthy model of the USS Kearsarge when the ship suddenly switched from forward to ‘reverse’ in a sudden jerk that I did not signal from the receiver.

Following this, the model would reverse, but would not go forward.

In an attempt to diagnose the problem, I switched the power wires leading to the motor and revered the polarity of the signal coming from the radio.

Now the boat will only go forward, and not reverse (so I know the engine is capable of turning both directions).

Also, the rudder servo functions flawlessly.

Any ideas as to what might have caused this issue, and how to fix it?

I’ve listed the components of my system below.

Radio; Futaba Attack-SR 75.750MHZ

Receiver; Futaba FP-R122JE

Speed controller; DuraTrax Intellispeed Auto-sport forward/Reverse ESC

Motor; Traxxas #1275 Stinger

Deathwish 10-09-2011 05:54 PM

RE: My boat lost ‘reverse’; where might the problem lie?

Sounds like the esc burnt out. Try the esc on another motor or boat.

mfr02 10-10-2011 01:19 AM

<span style="font-family: 'Times New Roman'; font-size: medium; "><div style="margin-top: 0px; margin-right: 0px; margin-bottom: 0px; margin-left: 0px; padding-top: 0px; padding-right: 0px; padding-bottom: 0px; padding-left: 0px; background-image: initial; background-attachment: initial; background-origin: initial; background-clip: initial; background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255); font-family: Arial; font-size: 12px; background-position: initial initial; background-repeat: initial initial; ">Either its goosed itself or forgotten its programming.  In the case of ESCs with a relay for reverse, the symptoms would indicate a relay stuck operated, and either a good thump or  a poke with a pointy thing would set matters right.  In the case of fully electronic ones, one of the output transistors has died or grown a dry joint and won't switch on, so only the pair offering reverse is switching on.  Moderately lucky - the other fail mode is that one of them refuses to switch off, this puts a dead short across power and blows the fuse if there is one, lets the magic smoke out of itself and the wiring if you are less lucky, or incinerates the boat if its a bad day.</div></span>

DUKWsInARow 10-10-2011 07:02 PM

Thank you guys;

The inside of the hull was bone dry, but even with that, I left the ESC under a heat lamp for a day just to make sure that it wasn’t effected by moisture. Unfortunately, that didn’t correct the problem.

Since I had just purchased the ESC a week ago, and it burned out on the Alpha test, I was able to return it to the hobby store in exchange for another identical model (the fact that I also purchased another radio and the running three additional screw sloops I have under construction, namely the CSS Alabama, CSS Shenandoah, the USRCS Bear, and paint probably didn’t hurt my chances), and, after installing it in the model, it functioned perfectly!!!

Thanks!!!