RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Scale Boating (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-scale-boating-103/)
-   -   A modern passenger freighter (aka. tramp steamer) for Q-ship project??? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-scale-boating-103/10964972-modern-passenger-freighter-aka-tramp-steamer-q-ship-project.html)

DUKWsInARow 02-18-2012 03:20 PM

A modern passenger freighter (aka. tramp steamer) for Q-ship project???

1 Attachment(s)
While at work, I was kicking around the idea of attempting to construct Ragnar Danneskjold’s ship from the eerily prognostic novel ‘Atlas Shrugged.’

Since many of the political/economic/social events foretold in Atlas Shrugged (published in 1957) are coming to pass in the present, I figure that I’ll set this model in the present as well.

In order to begin this project, I was hoping to find a model that met many of the following requirements which I’ve listed in order of importance;

• A model that is large and light enough to be RCed, though not necessarily a purpose built RC model (I’ve already RCed several formerly static models).
• A Passenger Freighter (aka. a Tramp Steamer). At the end of the novel, Ragnar mentions that (having won the war) he is disbanding his crew (with generous bonus’s and offers of employment) and converting his ship into a passenger freighter.
• A ship that is large enough to support a batters of concealed weapons including;
o M2HB .50cal (for gaining the compliance of unarmed merchant vessels)
o Phalanx CIWS (for defense)
o RGM-84 Harpoon anti-ship missiles
o UGM-109 Tomahawk missiles
o (At least one) Turret, possibly salvaged from a tank. (remember, this is a resistance movement)
• A ship that can conceal both a helipad and helicopter, possibly among deck cargo or shipping containers on deck.
• A ship that can launch small boats (RHIB’s) to aid in attacks.
• A model that is the same scale or nearly the same scale as a modern model warship. This is necessary so that I can “poach” parts (weapons) from the warship model to add to the Q-ship model.
Thank you in advance for any help you could give me in finding such a model…

herrmill 02-18-2012 04:54 PM

RE: A modern passenger freighter (aka. tramp steamer) for Q-ship project???

Deans offers your best solution when it comes to merchant kits for what you're seeking

http://www.deansmarine.co.uk/shop/index.php/cPath/10_20

mfr02 02-19-2012 02:19 AM

Model Slipway 10 hatch coaster, Graupner Neptun, pretty sure that theres something in the Robbe range that will modify, as well as the Deans range.  <div>Container ships offer the chance of hiding weaponry in deck containers with drop down sides (much like the WW1 and WW2 Q ships and merchant raiders with their false cargos) and the top of the container stack offers a respectable size heliport.</div>

jerseys 03-08-2012 06:22 PM

You write very well.Thank you for your shared

DUKWsInARow 03-10-2012 06:07 AM

My apologies for taking so long to get back, my regular job’s been making overtime available and I’ve been getting additional work for my security company (aka. me, myself, and I).

The good thing about this is that it will actually allow me to afford one of these models…

Looking at the models, I think I’ll go with the Dean’s Marine ‘Celtic Warrior’, which I will rename the ‘Atlas’ after I complete the modifications.

While she isn’t a passenger steamer (as per the novel), a small container ship will likely make a better Q-ship.

Also, since this ship is 1:72, it will fit nicely with my 1:64 model trains when she isn’t running around a lake…

DUKWsInARow 03-10-2012 06:08 AM

My apologies for taking so long to get back, my regular job’s been making overtime available and I’ve been getting additional work for my security company (aka. me, myself, and I).

The good thing about this is that it will actually allow me to afford one of these models…

Looking at the models, I think I’ll go with the Dean’s Marine ‘Celtic Warrior’, which I will rename the ‘Atlas’ after I complete the modifications.

While she isn’t a passenger steamer (as per the novel), a small container ship will likely make a better Q-ship.

Also, since this ship is 1:72, it will fit nicely with my 1:64 model trains when she isn’t running around a lake…

Thank you for the suggestions