RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Scale Boating (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-scale-boating-103/)
-   -   When is a scale boat not one? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-scale-boating-103/4632853-when-scale-boat-not-one.html)

Ron Olson 08-16-2006 11:44 PM

When is a scale boat not one?

I just went through reading some of the threads here and one interesting question seemed to pop up in my mind, hence the title of this thread so I wanted to see what we consider scale boats modelers think about this.
I've been to a few scale boat regatta's as they used to hold the Great Lakes Regatta almost literally down the street from my house.
What became an interesting subject came up at the Toledo show. Would you consider a scale version of a racing boat being entered in competition, either static or operational a scale boat or a competition boat? Would you accept say, a Miss Bud hydro at a scale boat regatta? I do realize that it would be tough to get one around a course such as they have at scale ship regattas but what about judging? I'm not picking on the Miss Bud per se but it could occur with any scale race boat that was done to scale size. The fine line can get ugly when we're discussing what is scale and what is thrown into the competition class at places like Toledo. Those who have been to the Toledo show know what I'm typing about. We could throw sailboats into the mix if someone wanted to. Would that go into sail or scale if it was a model of for instance, an America's Cup sailboat?
Note that I said scale boat, not ship as some regatta's do use the word ship and some loosely at that.

Tug Guy 08-17-2006 07:10 AM

RE: When is a scale boat not one?

How about a scale Sailboat class?
As far as race boats go I myself would have to say it all depends on how much detail is built into the model. If it is just the scale size of the boat and some paint I would say I want to see more. I want seat belts, gauges, all the usual cockpit attire, and and all hull details as exhaust ports, etc. In other words if it is a scale boat it should reflect that. If not then it is just a race boat.
Some years back a group of very professional detail race boat builders came to show at our symposium. They were very angry at the end when awards were handed out that they didn't receive any. They left and never returned as they were that upset. These were boat that had won many awards for winning races and were very well built. The judges in talking to them later said they just didn't consider the boats to be detailed enough for an award. Yes they had won races and were very well painted. But they lacked the fine detail that they other boats had.
So if the race boat is detailed out as the original is then I would accept it in competition for an award. Documentation is everything when trying to win awards. The more you have the better your chances are of winning one.

Tug

LtDoc 08-17-2006 08:08 AM

Ron,
I think of a 'scale' boat as one that tries to be a smaller, accurate reproduction of the real thing. Just how 'scale' it is depends on how much work you want to put into it to place rivits, seams, and other peculiarities. Maybe there are different 'levels' of 'scale'. As for a 'Miss Budweiser' in a 'scale' contest/event? I think it would be possible for one to compete in a 'static' judging, kind'a difficult in a 'maneuvering' kind'a thingy. Same for sailboats I would think.
In general, I think in terms of three classes of boats, 'scale', go-fast', and 'sail'. That seems about typical for most forums too. Lots of lee-way in that.
- 'Doc

PS - Ship vs. boat. Boats are usually defined as something that could be carried on a larger ship. A ship is something that you can't carry on an even larger ... ship. (Except for the sub-guy's, but they're a little odd anyway.) Then again, I'm only aware of one 'scale' or otherwise model that couldn't be carried on a larger ship (depends on the carrier and who has to load the @#$ thing?), so they're all 'boats'? Need more coffee...

Kmot 08-17-2006 11:41 AM

Look at the E-RCU guys. They build exact scale race hydros. Gauges, motors, seats, steering wheels, drivers, etc. They look awesome. AND, they race them! http://www.e-rcu.org

However, I normally think of 'scale boats' as the fully detailed working, military, and pleasure boats.

Ron Olson 08-17-2006 12:23 PM

See, this is the same problem that also arises in this forum and and others, not just in competition.
Wouldn't you just love to see someone with a hydro do a conning event?[sm=lol.gif]

patmat 08-18-2006 06:07 AM

Yup, while the tug steering courses at "scale" regattas are intended for slower and more maneuverable models, the static judging is open to ANY scale model. At Toledo Weak Signals, Jack Kipfer's 1920/30's Gold Cup kind of boats are frequently entered in scale... at the Toledo Regatta in July, I entered a scale sailboat in "pleasure craft", even went home with a plaque.

In these events, points usually accrue for:
- Quality of build (craftsmanship);
- Accuracy of build (faithfulness to the original);
- Documentation (photos and plans that you worked from);
- And scratch always trumps kit.

Pat Matthews

Massey 08-19-2006 11:59 AM

1 Attachment(s)

ORIGINAL: LtDoc

PS - Ship vs. boat. Boats are usually defined as something that could be carried on a larger ship. A ship is something that you can't carry on an even larger ... ship. (Except for the sub-guy's, but they're a little odd anyway.) Then again, I'm only aware of one 'scale' or otherwise model that couldn't be carried on a larger ship (depends on the carrier and who has to load the @#$ thing?), so they're all 'boats'? Need more coffee...

If this is the case then the USS Cole would be a boat. See attached pic.

Just a little fun not flaming you Doc.

Massey