RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Scale Boating (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-scale-boating-103/)
-   -   the unofficial home of the dumas dauntless (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-scale-boating-103/4688536-unofficial-home-dumas-dauntless.html)

rblubaugh 09-06-2012 01:52 PM

RE: the unofficial home of the dumas dauntless

<font size="3">DF,

For technical questions I refer to Bill, he has much more expertise. Mine is limited to U.S. Navy and what I picked up after the service asking questions; certainly not enough to make me knowledgeable. I've watched the video from the Dauntless several times, doing a stop/ start method over and over to look at different areas and in that area you just can not tell if there are one or two anchor chains, he just moves the camera too fast. From his naration I would expect there to be anchor chain from the anchor chain "hole (?) into the anchor storage locker which may or may not becovered when underway and the anchors aren''t expected to be used. For that matter, the anchor chain may well be remover and stored under the deck, out of the way because most of the time they are tying up at a pier and have no use for the anchor and chain, covering the chain recovery hole with a semi-permanent cover.

As for the windlass, since it wasn't used for the anchor chain I suppose it could just as well be used for the rope while docking but I really don't see the need in a windlass for docking purposes.

There is the extent of my ignorance. Just enough knowledge to be dangerous. Maybe Bill will chime in and clear it all up for us.

Bob</font>

rblubaugh 09-06-2012 01:57 PM

<font size="3">Rich,

I'm working on it.:eek:  Pictures will accompany my "meager" progress.

Bob</font>

Sound Sailor 09-06-2012 04:11 PM

OK, here's the smarta that thinks he knows it all.
First I am not sure that Dauntless had that anchor chain pipe when first built or if it was added later. the plansonly show doors to the locker forward.It would be vey unusual to have 2 holesin the forepeak like that as there would likely be tangles between anchor rodes and also you would not put out 2 anchors. The multiple chains in the St Croix pics were most likely put out to moor her there in the event of more storms.
Dauntless carried a Danforth type anchor and we all know it was stored on the foreward cabin top. When using a Danforth anchor a short length of chain is first attached to the anchor stock and is to provide weight to hold the stock down then the anchor line is attached to the chain and that style anchor requires a lot of line. That anchor does not hold by weight but rather by digging in the flukes. That is the reason for the chain and long line so as to pull on angle.
As for storage underway no professional crew would have the anchor chain and line on deck. it would be stowed in it's locker in the foredeck. that is why you see the anchor on the cabin top without any attachments. Anchor lines lying on deck would be a slip hazard and also not present seamanly appearance. It's sort of like running with fenders or linesover the side, sometimes known as Irish pennants. :)
Now!! I know the S&amp;S plan calls it a windlass but my understanding was that a windlass is horizontal and a capstanis vertical, Be that as it may I believe the capstan would be used to tie off mooring lines also. Fore and aftlines are usually led through chocks to keep them pulling in one direction and not running down the rail. It also prevents wear on the rails. Spring lines are not lead through chocks normally on pleasure craft but may be through fairleads on bigger craft.

DF, it is interesting how that bowlight was mounted but i guess it was to get it above the lip. I assume the pipe support carried the wires to the light. Nice work on making the light fixture BTW.

dauntlessfan 09-06-2012 04:24 PM

Very interesting info, thanks so much!!!

rblubaugh 09-07-2012 05:40 AM

Thanks Bill.

Rich404 09-07-2012 06:05 AM

Great information Bill!!

-Rich.

rblubaugh 09-07-2012 06:08 AM

<font size="3">BTW, do you think the long delays in posting might have anything to do with the fact that this forum is so large?  I was just at another forum that has only a little over 200 posts and posting time is only a few seconds, 4 to 5 (All Day Dan's Sterling 48).  Just a thought.  Maybe there needs to be a "<u>official home of dumas dauntless, forum #2</u>"?  That or the keepers/monitors of RCU.com need to do some housekeeping and upgrade the system or streamline the existing system.  Again, just my opinion, but waiting 50 to 75 seconds for a post to "post" is a bit too much.

Bob</font>

dauntlessfan 09-07-2012 09:39 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Houston... we have a davit...:)

So in the prototype pics of Dauntless that include the dingy crane, there's never any rigging on it. Is this another area where the crew stows all of that away to keep things neat, proper, and tighty? Even the pulleys? Also there had to be some sort of winch... hand cranked or otherwise, to lift the dingy, right? Where would that have been on big D?

Sound Sailor 09-08-2012 05:19 AM

DF, you are correct in most cases the davit would be kept rigged but in Dauntless case that seems it was not the case. I doubt the dinghy would get much use on a commuter yacht running between Tarrytown and NYC, there just is no need  when going from dock to dock. There most likely would be a simple block and tackle stored aboard for if needed. A small dingy could be lifted easily with a block and tackle without a mechamical aid.
On my dauntless I thought the davit looked naked without any rigging so I put a block (thanks Rich :) ) at the top and ran a line through it and fastened both ends on a cleat I attached to the lower part of the davit.

Bill

Rich404 09-08-2012 09:15 AM

ORIGINAL: rblubaugh

<font size="3">BTW, do you think the long delays in posting might have anything to do with the fact that this forum is so large?</font>
According to a moderator a long time ago the answer to that question would be 'NO". It doesn't matter if the forum is big or small. A good way to test this is to try to post replies in smaller or newer forums on RCU and compare notes. If the newer forum allows you to post significantly faster then you have some info for the mods.

-Rich.

deep sky 09-08-2012 04:47 PM

1 Attachment(s)
hi captains well i win i think she looks like a dauntlesslots of small work left but she is ready to install shafts and rudders

Rich404 09-08-2012 05:56 PM

ORIGINAL: dauntlessfan

Houston... we have a davit...:)

Hi Dauntlessfan &amp; Deep...lookin' good guys!!!

My starboard motor is crossing the U.S. and is on it's way to California to be serviced. I will let you all know when I hear more. I think it's going to be rebuilt.

-Rich.

Sound Sailor 09-09-2012 11:25 AM

Rich, I hope they do faster service on your motor than they are doing on the connectors I need for my 208Ds. I ordered them on Thurs and requested ASAPand they haven't shpped them yet. I might have to sea trial Red Baron with an esc thatI have with lower power. For what they get for their connectors you would think they would ship out the door in less than 3 days!

Bill

Rich404 09-09-2012 01:08 PM

ORIGINAL: Sound Sailor

I might have to sea trial Red Baron with an esc thatI have with lower power. Bill
If that's the case make sure you have Folly on standby in case the magic smoke gets released from the ESC.

I don't mind if they take a little while rebuilding the motor as long as they do it right.

If this year is anything like lastwe may end up running boats all winter long..Wouldn't that be a hoot...

Once the motor comes back I am going to wrap water cooling coils around both motors and hook up the water lines. Between that and the fans I think she will run cool.

Remember that air chamber thingy I built a while back...I decided to use it in the engineroom after all. It will be set up near the ceiling to pull out the hot air and air lines will be set up at the exhaust vents to exhaust the air outside the boat. I thought of this after running the Astro 25's and noted how warm it was in the engineroom. So after busy season at work ends, the rebuilt motor and all the motor cooling devices goes in. Then another round of sea trials.

-Rich.

dauntlessfan 09-09-2012 09:01 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Thanks Rich and good thinking on re-purposing that complex and impressive air chamber!

DS you continue to amaze.

Bill thanks for the davit details and I'd love to see a pic of your final crane design and rigging. Maybe you already posted it. I'll check.

BTW Bill is to blame for tonight's addition using scraps of vinyl sheet protector as he did a while back:D. I highly recommend this very quick and easy detail. Adds a great amount of realism and interest to the boat in no time. And it didn't cost a dime ;).

Rich404 09-10-2012 05:24 AM

Hi Dauntlessfan,

Man I love the way your boat is looking. By seeing how all the details are coming together in the bridge definitely makes it play the part. The boat is am amazing piece of art. I also like the blue light that shines behind the seat. What is that? It looks cool wherever it is coming from.

I have an extra block that I will send you. I have not been home in a few days because of work obligations but when I do get home I will drop it in the mail for you. I should be home hopefully by the end of the week.It is brass and will give your davit nice detail. It is small &amp; light so shipping is nothing..

Hopefully Bill will show you his so you have a better idea on how it looks.

-Rich.

dauntlessfan 09-10-2012 09:06 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Awesome Rich, thanks for doing that! So cool of you. I can't wait to get it!

The bluish light is coming from a tiny LED utility light that I set in there to light up the bridge for the pic. I found it at Dollar Tree. At a buck I figured what the heck just to play around with. Most of the stuff I find at the dollar store is... well... worth about a dollar. But this little thing is actually solidly built, suprisingly bright, batteries included, and it has an effective diffused lens. Huh!

Are you thinking of backlighting your bridge area when it's on public display?

Sound Sailor 09-10-2012 10:27 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Dauntless is in dry dock at the moment awaiting new esc's but i managed to go aboard and take this shot for you.

Bill

Rich404 09-10-2012 10:33 AM

Very cool Dauntlessfan!!

Hi Bill, I know it takes some work climbing aboard to get that shot, thanks! This is inspiring me to finish up that detail.

-R.

deep sky 09-10-2012 02:59 PM

1 Attachment(s)
more headway shafts are in a little more moldind around shafts left then i should be allmost ready for more primer

Rich404 09-10-2012 03:14 PM

ORIGINAL: guapoman2000

If you can, I would love to see what you do for a stuffing tube, etc... as I am trying to learn, if you can of course.

Keep up the drive!
Carlos[8D]
Hi Deepsky....This is a good question for you being that you just did the stuffing tubes. Please explain this process to Carlos so that he has a better understainding on what to do.

Thanks.

-Rich.

deep sky 09-10-2012 04:42 PM

1 Attachment(s)
the first thing was to mesure 2/1/2 in from the keel on the inside of the hulland mark where the rudder blocks go at center then drill at center once the holes are drilled then i mesured 2/1/2 from the center of keel on the bottom made 2 lines to go by then mesure 2/3/8s from the rudder holes thats were the struts start i glued the struts on with a drop of 5 min epoxy once i made shure they were in line then slid the shafts in the struts this tells me were the tubes go thrue the hull by making the 2 lines on the bottom it keeps the shafts in line then i drilled the hole with a long bit you just have to keep cutting the hole longer until the shaft and tube fits then i epoxyed with thick 5 min epoxy to set them in i hope this helps here some pix

deep sky 09-10-2012 04:43 PM

i hope i explained it ok

deep sky 09-10-2012 05:32 PM

i allmost forgot if yoy put the rudders inthe holes it helps line up the shafts by sliding the struts on the shafts and then slide the shafts forward you will see were they toucth they should toucth the lines you made the rudder holes are the key once the rudder holes are there you can line the shafts to the holes and the lines this keeps them strait.

Kmot 09-10-2012 07:00 PM

ORIGINAL: rblubaugh

How about these side wake comparisons?

Bob

#3 looks spot on!