RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Scale Boating (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-scale-boating-103/)
-   -   the unofficial home of the dumas dauntless (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-scale-boating-103/4688536-unofficial-home-dumas-dauntless.html)

dauntlessfan 11-13-2012 02:34 PM

RE: the unofficial home of the dumas dauntless

DS - With your speed controllers, remember that each of your EVX-2's will come pre-wired to accept one or two batteries with a maximum voltage of 8.4V each.

If you only use one battery per ESC, you can't use anything above 8.4v. and the speed of your boat won't be very exciting at only 8.4 volts being fed to each motor.

As the EVX-2 is designed out of the box, you'll need a total of four 6-8.4v packs to get a healthy 12-16.8 volts to each motor.

Or... if you found some super high-capacity 6-8.4v packs, you may be able to use just use two batteries - each in parallel - feeding one of the two battery inputs to both ESCs.

Or... according to the forums I've read, you can rewire the EVX-2 to accept a single battery up to 16.8V. It involves making a jumper on the non-BEC battery input side. Check out the Traxxas user forums for a diagram if you feel comfortable expereimenting with this route.

Hope that doesn't muddy things up too much :eek:.

deep sky 11-13-2012 08:03 PM

1 Attachment(s)
hi here are the latest pix finely got the roof glued on im happy with the trim on the dash primed the rear roof and put the side window suports in not done yet im still messed up on this esc thing the evx2 calls for 2 batterys can i use 1 12 volt batt on one side or do i need 2 batterys that = 12 volts

dauntlessfan 11-13-2012 08:30 PM

ORIGINAL: deep sky

can i use 1 12 volt batt on one side or do i need 2 batterys that = 12 volts
When I had an EVX I used two 6 volt batteries with no problems. That would be my recommendation.

deep sky 11-13-2012 10:32 PM

so if i understand this right i need 2 6 volt batterys per esc as i will be running 2 escs one for each motor and the 4 batterys will work when i use the y cable for the escshttp://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/js/f...used_smile.gif

Rich404 11-14-2012 08:07 AM

Hi Bill,

I plan on sailing Dauntless in Binney Park during my lunch break. Will you be around?

-Rich.

Rich404 11-14-2012 08:09 AM

ORIGINAL: dauntlessfan

ORIGINAL: deep sky

can i use 1 12 volt batt on one side or do i need 2 batterys that = 12 volts
When I had an EVX I used two 6 volt batteries with no problems. That would be my recommendation.
Hey DF..Is this in series or in parallel?

-Rich.

dauntlessfan 11-14-2012 09:26 AM

OMG Rich I read your post too quick and I thought it said, "I plan on SELLING Dauntless..." [X(] I about fell out of my chair.

Anyway, as to your question - when I used two 6 volt batteries, each was just directly connected to the EVX ESC because it has two battery plugs coming out of it.

deep sky 11-14-2012 09:39 AM

just wondering if there is 2 leads for 2 motors why cant you use 1 12 volt per escso you feed each motor 12 v or do you have to use bolth leads on each esc

Sound Sailor 11-14-2012 10:21 AM

Hey Rich, sorry about that! I'm still catching up on things here after Sandy and forgot we talked about sailing today and was out doing erands. Did you sail? how is the pond?

On another note I have interesting graphics coming from Callie for Sandy B.

Bill

Rich404 11-14-2012 10:50 AM

ORIGINAL: dauntlessfan

OMG Rich I read your post too quick and I thought it said, "I plan on SELLING Dauntless..." [X(] I about fell out of my chair.

LOL!! even though sometimes I feel like this boat has a wacky hold on me & I would be better off without it.. http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/js/f.../msn/50_50.gif

-Rich.

Rich404 11-14-2012 11:23 AM

Hi Bill,

Yes, I went to Binney today...Is that park freakin' haunted?? Too many things were going wrong over there....

I parked and started at the canal near the tennis court...

1) I tested the boat before placing her in water, all was fine... Then I put her in water and the port coupler slipped off and she let off the most wicked scream... then I had to bring her in & put it back on...what a pain in the arse....

2) tried to take pics of her in the canal which was really difficult because I had to use an old slow camera and with the head wind Dauntless had to cruise pretty fast to stay on course.. (toward thecobblestone bridge)

3) I almost got hit by a car crossing the street while Dauntless was sailing under the cobblestone bridge...(There's a lot of risk sailing a boat under a bridge that you can't see under) The car crossed over the bridge while Dauntless was cruising under it..and I was crossing the street and was more preoccupied on what Dauntless was doing...I couldn't see her and stopping was not an option...

4)did get some pics as she came out from under the cobblestone bridge...cool.

5) Now after the cobblestone bridge Dauntlesshad to cross under a foot bridge to get into the actual pond. For those that don't know this bridge is low so before I sailed her under I slowly brought her up to the bridge to see if she would make it...It looked like there was about 2" clearance from the top of the radar mast...Then I went to the bridge, held my breath and cruised her under and into the pond...About half way under the bridge I heard a CRUNCH CRUNCH sound...that can't be good...so Dauntless sailed out and the mast was laying on the owners cabin....ARGGGG....LUCKILY no damage...

6) I brought her near shore to readjust her mast....tapped a few rocks on the way....I didn't survey the damage yet....but I did manage to get my knee muddied up kneeling at the edge of the pond...

7) So Dauntless cruised off with me snapping away some pics...and then the port coupler came off again resulting in the same scream that I heard earlier...brought her back and put it back on...I didn't remove the boat from the water but instead removed the cabins with the hull in the water and adjusted from there...

8) So I cruised a little more and got some great compliments....all of which were dog owners...then I stepped in a steaming pile of dog sh1t....GREEEAAAATTTT!!!!!

9) Afterwards the LIPO alarms were starting to go off so Icruised her back to the low foot bridge and set down the mast so she could safely cruise under and made my way back to the canal whereshe cruised under both bridges and made her way back to port...A few more people seen her in the canal and were commenting on her beauty so I floored the throttles for a possible final picture and the camera was dead...so much for that but she looked really cool making her way down the canal...

10) When I brought her in I noticed that her engineroom was lightly flooded...I have no idea what the heck happened there...there is never a drop of water inside after runs so this has to be looked at..

I would post pics BUT I took out the SIM card and realized that it is ancient and not compatible with my computer...so much for that...I have the plug at home so I will post those either tonight or tomorrow...

So that was my run today at Binney Park...http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/js/f...used_smile.gif

-Rich.

Rich404 11-14-2012 12:02 PM

I'm sure it's not the park's fault though..it's just one of those days..

-Rich.

Sound Sailor 11-14-2012 12:26 PM

See!! I told you it was you Mayhem was following!! http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/js/f.../omg_smile.gifI wasn't there this time.

Post them pix

Bill

Rich404 11-14-2012 04:26 PM

Mahem surely caught up with me today.....next time I need you there!! ;)

-Rich.

Rich404 11-14-2012 04:41 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Hi captains,

Here are pictures of today's run in Old Greenwich Connecticut..

Note how the boat runs at speed...the entire forecastle area is out of the water...this started after removing the 4 large underwater scoops....she is also much faster now. When I removed the scoops I also started adding furniture inside the boat which I thought would lower the bow but it seems unphased by the added weight. Also note how the stern sits a bit higher with the stern lead weight removed...and a pretty cool wake...All good things...

-Rich.

Rich404 11-14-2012 05:13 PM

And one more update....

The other night I decided to see what Dauntless weighs so I stood on a scale notedmy weight andafterwards picked up Dauntless with batteries installed and noted the weight. Then I subtracted the difference and got her weight. The Dauntless weighed in at 24.6 pounds. She is right on track with my original 27lb estimate.

-Rich.

Rich404 11-14-2012 05:38 PM

Hey Bill....

The Dauntless is ready for another run tomorrow if you want to join me!! I will cal you in the morning to confirm!

-Rich.

Makelaly 11-14-2012 07:59 PM

Thank you for this article. That’s all I can say. You most definitely have made this blog into something special. You clearly know what you are doing, you’ve covered so many bases.Thanks!

Tiffany & Co Outlet Karen Millen Outlet Doudoune Moncler Cheap North Face Jackets Belstaff Outlet

Sound Sailor 11-15-2012 02:20 PM

Hereisa short video of todays run at Binney Park of Capt Rich's vessel. Pond was overflowing and a lot of debris from Sandy.

Bill

http://youtu.be/9RdtK7APV20

Rich404 11-15-2012 06:40 PM

Thanks Bill!!

She was pretty swift on the initial takeoff but I noticed that she slowed down when she was making the turn...around there I remember a huge floating patch of leaves..

-Rich.

Rich404 11-15-2012 07:03 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Hi captains,

Today Bill & I met up for a run...Here are today's pictures taken in Old Greenwich Connecticut..

-Rich.

dauntlessfan 11-15-2012 08:57 PM

Wouldn't you know Ijust spent 15 minutes posting detailed commentary and got some "We're Sorry..." message and all that text is gone.

Anyway... in summary... great boats, beautiful scenery, and Rich's boat offically hauls some serious ***:D.

Oh and I can't expand any of the pics on the first row of those pic posts... anyone else?

Hydro Junkie 11-16-2012 01:37 AM

I couldn't get the right two on the top row to open. Is it just me or is there little evidence of Sandy in any of those pictures? My trip to Connecticut didn't show me much more than power outages though, due to my not going down by the coast, that might account for it

Sound Sailor 11-16-2012 03:37 AM

Most of the damage in that immediate area was from down trees  and wires. In the park itself there is still some cleanup of down trees which is why you see some Parks Dept trucks in the background. On tthe other side of the pond there is  a downed birch tree in the water. On the shore area of the town there was tidal flooding of several streets and homes. That is not real uncommon in those areas but could have been worse but for the surge and high tide not being at the same time there. Most trees that came down there and elsewhere away from the shore were very large, old pines etc. The park itself was completely under water but it is 2 weeks later and the park maintenance crew have done a lot of cleanup. Connecticut got very little rain during Sandy, just high winds.

Bill

Hydro Junkie 11-16-2012 04:49 AM

I waited out Sandy in Quincy and we had high winds and heavy rain. From what I could see, the damage was mostly power lines and tree limbs down. I guess we were lucky, Cape Cod protected us from the storm surge