RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Scale Boating (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-scale-boating-103/)
-   -   abs covered with cloth & epoxy resin (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-scale-boating-103/4864860-abs-covered-cloth-epoxy-resin.html)

hansvonpensch 10-13-2006 07:50 PM

abs covered with cloth & epoxy resin

In my last post I was informed to use epoxy resin and fiberglass cloth when covering an abs hull. I think I will make a new hull using the abs African Queen hull as a mould. Contrubiters have helped me out. Does any know the exact process. Would Ineed to cover the abs hull with a thin coat or vasalien or something like that, Thank, Randy.

Tug Guy 10-13-2006 08:00 PM

RE: abs covered with cloth & epoxy resin

If I remember correctly you were told to spray down the ABS hull with PVA several times and that would act as a barrier to protect the hull. Best advice I can give is check through those posts there is a lot of good advice there.

Tug

hansvonpensch 10-13-2006 08:32 PM

The PVA in the aforsaid text was to still use fiberglass and not epoxy, if I don't find any red flags I will go with epoxy. I want to now find out if there are any new red flags for using epoxy on an abs mould (things have evolved some) and is there any special steps. Because I "think"?? that with "epoxy"?? heat and chemical reaction might not be a problem?? my main question is, what is a release agent for the abs mould if it is true epoxy will not hurt abs. Thanks, Randy.

martno1fan 10-22-2006 03:48 AM

why oh why did you start yet another thread asking the same questions??i think we all gave you good advice the first time!!.as also said by a few of us why bother fiber glassing a hull for such a slow boat?? its not needed at all.people have been using abs for far larger heavier models than the african queen.if however you want to add strength to your hull why not put some glass cloth inside your abs hull and use epoxy to do it.but like ive said i dont know why your bothering at all.maybe your just trying to find out how to splash a few hulls???[X(] thats the only reason i can think of for you doing this to be totally honest as most people seem to think its a waste of time.but your not listening are you?.

LtDoc 10-22-2006 08:19 AM

Randy,
If you want to use that hull for a 'plug' to make the mold to make new hulls, there are probably several ways of going about it. I don't do that sort of thing so am not the one to try offering advice. I do know that there are spray type release agents for 'plugs'. Maybe someone here can tell you what brand...
- 'Doc

hansvonpensch 10-22-2006 06:46 PM

Thank you LtDoc for following the conversion, it got a little complicated, and thank you fou your contribution, for some others who have a hard time following.
It is my goal to give up on reinforcing the abs hull in any way, and make an epoxy hull. from the abs mould.
The advice of using an abs hull because the hull does not need to be strong is a good point, but I cant just go with an abs hull because people tell me it is strong enough, It just seems cheap to me. To boil it down.
1.) realease agent for epoxy to abs. Thank you LtDoc
2.) epoxy seems to be a better way than fiberglass, any red flags that anyone can think of, Thanks, Randy

Tug Guy 10-22-2006 07:06 PM

You are confusing several issues here Randy.
Whether you use epoxy resin or polyester resin plus cloth the term is still fiberglassing the hull.
PVA as I mentioned before is a release agent for molds of all types. Also carnuba wax several coats will release a mold. But they are better in a combination, wax first then the spray.
It might have been better had you stuck to the original post and eliminated any chance of confusion. I thought pretty much most of the posters in the first topic knew what you wanted to do. At any rate there was sufficient innformation within that post to help you do what you needed to do.
Good luck on your mold and keep us posted on your progress.
Tug

ORIGINAL: hansvonpensch

Thank you LtDoc for following the conversion, it got a little complicated, and thank you fou your contribution, for some others who have a hard time following.
It is my goal to give up on reinforcing the abs hull in any way, and make an epoxy hull. from the abs mould.
The advice of using an abs hull because the hull does not need to be strong is a good point, but I cant just go with an abs hull because people tell me it is strong enough, It just seems cheap to me. To boil it down.
1.) realease agent for epoxy to abs. Thank you LtDoc
2.) epoxy seems to be a better way than fiberglass, any red flags that anyone can think of, Thanks, Randy

killick64 10-23-2006 10:16 PM

Don't sell that ABS short....it's TOUGH STUFF. When I worked in a Cycle shop in the 70's we were "invited" to try and destroy a totally new kind of "plastic" fender. We twisted it, bent it, and whacked it with a ball peen hammer. NO DAMAGE!

It turned out to be ABS.... Just the thing to resist collisions with "rocks and docks"!

hansvonpensch 10-26-2006 06:30 PM

Thank you Tug Guy for not only following both threads all the way, but also for figuring out what I did not know to ask ( kind of an unkown, unkown ). Thank you.

Alos Killick64 thank you the first hand information on the fender experience.

Tug Guy 10-26-2006 06:34 PM

I am interested in hearing how the work turns out. With more and more of these cheap hulls appearing in kits we all may want to do what you are trying to do. I wish you luck and keep us advised if you would.
Tug