RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Scale Boating (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-scale-boating-103/)
-   -   Donzi Powering (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-scale-boating-103/6134378-donzi-powering.html)

JSchneider 07-30-2007 10:46 AM

RE: Donzi Powering

That is what I experienced as well. I wish there was a way to tame the reverse a bit....

u163665 07-30-2007 11:11 AM

I look forward to seeing pictures and videos if possible!

JSchneider 07-31-2007 07:46 AM

Unfortunatly, I think it is a characteristic of the speed control, I tried everything and it was still over powering in reverse.

I will consider taking some pictures when I take it out the lake. Right now I have some modified universal joints installed that create some vibration, the new ones should arrive this week.

Kmot 07-31-2007 12:32 PM

JS: Do you have a computer radio? If so, you can dial out the amount of throttle travel in reverse on the transmitter and that will solve your problems.

JSchneider 07-31-2007 01:59 PM

No, it is not a computer radio. I think it is just characteristic of the speed control, when you pull the throttle back 1 click from neutral, the motor runs at least at 25%, which is dramatically unproportional to foward. Did you see this with your set up?

JSchneider 07-31-2007 02:30 PM

Do you know if the Mini EV motor has 0 timing? I switched the wires going to the motor and it didn't make a difference which makes me think it has 0 timing.

Kmot 07-31-2007 03:42 PM

I do believe it has 0° timing.

yjguy 10-02-2007 06:49 PM

nothing like reviving and old thread. I ran my Donzi with a pair of 820 cans, they were on a set of FDM gear reduction units running a 3.25:1 ratio. this beat was swinging 2 1/2" 3 blade props. Each motor was running its own 208 esc. For battery power I had great luck with a D cell nicad 4800mah 14 cell pack. This boat would get over 20 mph. Not bad at all for a 28 lb boat. I could run it for 30-40 mins, not at full throttle, plenty of play time with this set up. I was looking into moving up to a 4.5:1 ratio before I got rid of it. that would slow it down a bit but I think it would have really improved runtime.

BTW, I had not watercooled mine, and it barely got warm, let alone hot enough for watercoolong.

I am building a Broom 44 now. Im building it with the Mini EVs running a 3:1 reduction. I plan on using only 12 D cells on this build. The EV has lower RPMs than the 820 (18k v 24k) if I remember correctly.

I have a ton of pics of my Donzi, I just cant find them. Kmot, you may remember them for RRR a few years ago. Ill see if I have them on a disc somwhere.

Good luck
Tom

nitro wing 10-02-2007 07:35 PM

I like this boat.What kind of hours is average to build it up,before paint and final touches?

Kmot 10-02-2007 10:41 PM

20 mph is cookin' on that big boat! u163665 has gone 12 mph on his and that seems fast!

DAMDONZI 10-03-2007 07:49 PM

Nitro Wing, I'm in the process of building one now (when I can get the time...) I'm about 1/4 done and have about 85 hours in so far. The ammount of hours probably depends greatly upon how detailed you plan to build it. But from what I can gather from reading past Threads, these boats are a lengthy build...

nitro wing 10-03-2007 08:09 PM

Well,I have built dozens of rc aircraft and work in a bodyshop,so prep and paint and glass work is easy for me.
I think this kit is discontinued though and honestly it is a bit large and tall.You guys need an open pickup truck to move it?
I do howver want to build a yacht or sport fish boat of similar looks,perhaps smaller and less involved.
Anyone have any ideas of kits I could look into?
I seen this link and there are some real nice boats on there.I dont think the kits are for sale though?
maybe I'll start another Yacht thread instead of derailing this one ;)

yjguy 10-03-2007 09:52 PM

unfortunately there is not too much out there. I have searched with little success.

DAMDONZI 10-08-2007 05:47 AM

Here is a question for all of you who have built a z65... Of all the pictures I have seen on the net of built models, I have never seen a boat built with the engine room air intakes built into the sides of the hull. I have seen pics of two boats with them painted on (one the older three square opening style, and one the newer "slot" style) Why doesn't anyone put them in? Does it weaken the hull? Too difficult to do? So many of these boats are bult to amazing levels of detail, there must be a reason why they are leaving the vents out... If it was to be done what material would be ideal, wood, plastistruct, sometinng else?

yjguy 10-08-2007 11:11 AM

I was kicking around this just before I sold mine. I wondered the same thing. I had made the boxes for the vents out of 1/32" ply. I sealed them with some west systems epoxy. I never finished them or cut the hull. I dont think that it would make the hull weak a all.

doing this would add so much detail to the boat. It will look great! Good luck!

Tom