RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Scale Boating (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-scale-boating-103/)
-   -   North Texas Model Shipwrights Club Thread (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-scale-boating-103/9181445-north-texas-model-shipwrights-club-thread.html)

Ron S 10-17-2009 08:28 PM

North Texas Model Shipwrights Club Thread

I decided I would make this a continuous thread, and as we have events or whatever, I (and whoever else wants to) can just add to this thread. It works nicely on that other RC website, but since I am more of a RCUniverse guy, I'll keep the thread here. [8D] I even added the correct club name to the thread - normally I just call it the North Dallas club which is incorrect.

Some background club info: We run electric and sail models at the Josey Ranch Complex, which is in Farmers Branch, TX (just North of Dallas, off of Whitlock/ Keller Springs Rd). I guess we have meetings on the 1st Tuesday of the month, but I usually don't make them, since I live about 45-50 miles away. Going thru Dallas traffic at that time of evening can be a mess. But, we run our models on the 3rd Saturday of the month at the above mentioned site, anytime between 10am and 2pm or so. I try to make those. :)

Ron S 10-17-2009 08:38 PM

RE: North Texas Model Shipwrights Club Thread

1 Attachment(s)
We floated boats today, and the weather was PERFECT. [sm=shades_smile.gif] There was apparently some big college football game going on though, (I am told) so this may have trimmed down our attendance. I am also told the Longhorns beat the Sooners. [8D] Plus, the local kiddie football leagues pretty much took over OUR parking lot, so we had a bit more distance to haul our boats/stuff. Here's one of Larry's sailboats zipping around the pond, and also his speedboat.

Ron S 10-17-2009 08:47 PM

1 Attachment(s)
More pics. The Big Dumas Dauntless showed up without fail. [8D] And in the last pic, ready to race the speedboat. :) The owner of the Dauntless also brought his sailboat, and one of the kiddie football geniuses walked on top of the boat... [:@] Luckily, it only broke a main boom adapter, but still it shut down his sailboating for the day... I think the club should get a stun gun...[:@]

Ron S 10-17-2009 08:54 PM

1 Attachment(s)
My coast guard boat floating around. [8D] And, my killer attack patrol boat. ;) Plus, a little logger boat - good for rescuing stranded boats, and for just pushin' stuff around!

DONS BOAT WORKS 10-17-2009 09:58 PM

"I think the club should get a stun gun... "

I agree, nice boats & pictures.

Ron S 09-18-2010 05:16 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I've awoken this thread from the dead. ;) I've been busy working weekends, so have not been able to get to the club floats as much as I'd like to. We did have a float today at our usual pond, so here are a few pics. (Looks like the same boats attended as last time! :) )

Ron S 09-18-2010 05:21 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Dauntless was out for a cruise today. It had a small issue with a prop shaft, but was quickly resolved, and shoved back into the water. ;)

Ron S 09-18-2010 05:26 PM

1 Attachment(s)
We had a small log boat pusher floating around today... It has a single pivoting Kort nozzle below the hull, which makes it very maneuverable, but it won't win any speed contests. :) It practiced pushing the Coast Guard boat around today.

Ron S 09-18-2010 05:31 PM

1 Attachment(s)
My fast attack boat wasn't very fast today. [:@] I think I'm having an issue with one of the 2 LiPo packs getting a proper charge, which only left one waterjet usable. I think the charge issue has been corrected, and I may test it out later tonite. Overall, no boats sunk today, which made it a good outing! :)

Ron S 09-18-2010 05:41 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Last pics for the day. [8D]

ironman123 09-18-2010 06:39 PM

Ron, I am in Waco.  Do you know of any clubs in Texas for Tugboats/Workboats, Fishing Boats (Trawler style),electric or steam,  or for any boats that are not per say Fast Boats?  I have Tugs and Fishing boats and a paddle wheeler and it is lonesome out here.   ironman ( Ray)

Ron S 09-18-2010 08:15 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Hello Ironman... I go to Waco often - was there last week. I belong to the HOTMAC (RC plane) club which flies out at Speegleville park. [8D] Unfortunately, I do not know of any scale model boat clubs down there - scale model boat clubs are few and far between - which is why I drive 45 miles to this club... [:@] I would recommend asking Max at Waco Hobby Stop and see if he knows about local boat clubs. You are more than welcome to come up here and run your stuff if you like. We usually run (scale, nonscale electric and sail) on the 3rd Saturdays. Actually, there was a guy coming up here from Waco to run boat stuff, but do not know his name... [:o]

I got my battery issue straightened out a little while ago, and got my attack boat running at a local pond. Here are a few pics. I got to turn the lights on, but it wasn't quite dark enough yet...

ironman123 09-18-2010 10:45 PM

Ron,  I know Max quite well.  He doesn't know of any.  Were you with us at the AMA Grand Event 2005 at the HOTMAC site in 2005.  I was the Chairman for the Radio Control Boat Group.  I had over 550 guests come and run our boats in the 2 and 1/2 day event.  We had 5 EP Hammer boats to run.  At slow times I would run my Creole Queen Paddle Wheeler and a couple guys ran submarines.  Was fun.  They didn't keep the little lake.  I run on the Brazos River for now.   ironman123   (Ray)

Ron S 09-19-2010 08:33 PM

I remember stopping over there for half a day to visit the show. I remember seeing the subs, and the large scale rockets. The other thing I remember is the weather was quite HOT!!! [:@]

dauntlessfan 09-23-2010 10:42 AM

I stopped by Saturday's regatta but didn't have time to get any boats ready to float. Great people and beautiful boats.

RamblinDanSr 07-25-2011 08:50 AM

Hi guys,

It looks like some of you check this thread from time to time. Name here is Dan Kautz

I was surffing trying to see if there was any scale model boating other than sail and high power racing clubs in the North Texas Area. I live in Frisco and work in Carrollton.

I see Ron S and ironman 123 are from the area.

I have a web site, actually many web sites and blogs. I have done a lot of hobby stuff. Check out http://ramblindan.org and there are many links from there.

I was heavy into R/C aircraft and EAA Homebuilts. I am now considering model boating. Probably an electric scale and eventually into live steam.

I have a large double community pond in my back yard in Frisco. Look for Harbor Road, Frisco TX in Google earth. A perfect place for "quite" model boats.

So it seems there might be some club activity here. What's word guys?

Thanks, Dan

Ron S 08-05-2011 07:03 PM

Hi Dan,
Lately for me, I have been pretty tied up with working weekends pretty heavily for the last 2 years. Any other available time pretty much goes to rc plane stuff. I have not been able to run my boats in quite a while. I know the club still boats around at Josey Ranch though. I'll have to try to make it out there one of these months when I'm not working the weekend, and don't have anything planned. Lately, that has been rare... [:@] I have two boats sitting in the boxes, waiting to be built, too...[:@]

dauntlessfan 08-07-2011 09:32 PM

Yes RamblinDanSr there is some club activity close to your home. You should come out and visit at the next regatta. The president of this club calls and reminds me of meetings and Saturday morning fun floats, and it's very informal and relaxing. The pond is adjacent to several public athletic fields, a retirement activity center, and picnic tables - so there are always lots of onlookers and folks with the usual questions about RC boating.Sometimes only a few boaters show up, sometimes the pond is full of activity. I too am busy with my kids, and usually weekends are booked with birthday parties etc. But I make the regattas whenever I can, even if I don't have any boats to float. Let me know if you want to be added to the list and we'll make sure you are included for the next meet up!

RamblinDanSr 09-19-2011 08:03 AM

Whoa. Time flies.

Sorry I am so slow in responding. I have been busy... you know ususal lame excuse ;)

I did buy a boat kit. Dauntlessfan will get a kick out of this, it is the Dauntless. I started a new blog at roboboatblog.net

The blog is about a new control strategy I am working on and the Dauntless will eventually be the test platform. Of course it will be some time before it can hit the water. I am aiming for next Spring/Summer. I have easy lake access where I live so it may start in the water as the hull only. At least for leak testing. Ha!

I work in Carrollton and I am thinking the club site you describe is near the senior center and library, Probably the lake on the west end farthest from Josey.

Add me to your notice list if you would. The email shouild be listed in my member info. It would be nice to chat with someone on where I am headed on my project.

dauntlessfan 09-30-2011 09:49 PM

Yes Ramblin you'd like this group, a great bunch of scale enthusiasts. I haven't heard from them in a while but when I do I'll make sure you're added to the contact list!

RamblinDanSr 10-01-2011 05:49 AM

Thanks DF (Dauntlessfan)

Since you are from Coppell, you should be running that big boat up and down those narrow cannals there. http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/js/f...ular_smile.gif

I work at Luna and Crosby in Carrollton, so eat lunch in Coppell often, usually around Beltline area.

I've worked in the area 15 years so I know it fairly well. I drive by the pond at least once a week. It is about a 19 mile drive from my house. Not bad by comparing the amount of driving one has to do to get around the Metroplex.

Thanks again,
Dan

dauntlessfan 09-04-2013 09:00 AM

6 Attachment(s)
Here are a few pictures from last month's regatta.

Next float should be Sep 21. Usually the weather is really nice in the mornings this time of year. Very relaxing to set up a chair under the trees and chat while our boats chase each other around the pond. Please feel free to join if you're in the DFW area.

Blkft1 09-06-2013 03:09 PM

Heck,I'm in Mesquite.I have a Vac u Tug and just up a Midwest Patriot.Also have a Robbe Nordeney and a Lindberg Connie in the works.Looks like I'll to stop by soon.

dauntlessfan 09-07-2013 08:19 PM

1 Attachment(s)
It'd be great to have you there Blkft1. It's always an interesting mix of boats. I took this pic from a past meet up. A couple of vintage winged deep vee's.

dauntlessfan 09-20-2013 02:43 PM

Well there's too much mud at the pond from the rain, we'll have to reschedule tomorrow's regatta. Sorry.