Notices
RC Submarines RC submarine discussions.

Having a hard time finding a RC Sub radio

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2013, 05:38 PM
badassissimo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Having a hard time finding a RC Sub radio

Indeed. I just bought a 7ch airplane from someone on rcgroups. I'm looking forward to some sub action.

Nick
Old 06-10-2013, 06:16 AM
MT-Tank

Well, despite hearing that an airplane/heli radio is illegal for surface models, you bought one anyway.
This is NOT a flame.
OK, I admit I sometimes bend/break a few rules too but it helps to know why the rule is there. PLEASE do aircraft modelers a HUGE favor by not running your radio within a half mile of a flying field since the interference from your radio could 'shoot them down'! The advantage of 2.4ghz for aircraft is freedom from this problem (competing frequencies). Someone flying an older FM radio will look around and if nobody else is using that frequency will assume it is safe to fly. You turn on your radio at the lake, pool or in your workroom, not realizing the conflict, and you have just destroyed his model.
PLEASE be courteous to fellow modelers who may have invested a great deal in their models. Ask me how I know.

Paul
Old 06-10-2013, 10:47 PM
badassissimo

It's been a little bit since I searched and found a radio. From what I remember, the radio itself is not illegal. Specific frequencies are. There are submarine radios available for purchase that fit the bandwidth. I chose not to buy one because I found out I could have one retuned or exchange crystals. This was what I planned to do. I planned to use an airplane radio on legal frequencies for a surface model. This is legal. I still plan to be courteous to other modelers. I don't know of any close by or even in the neighboring city that has a hobby shop. They don't have the crystals anyways and don't know anyone with them as well. I feel I may be respectful for up to 70 miles (next closest city).I haven't been able to continue the model from where I left off. I was planning to test the servos and build a WTC before getting serious. I am stuck with the prop shaft as I still want to use a weedeater engine to do this. Once I have some more funds available, I'll put that together and continue. I imagine the laws will change again by then and maybe there will even be better radios. For now, what I have can at least let me test my model and there options available to use it legally and respectfully. Or so I read in several threads and websites.Nick