Motor Works / Ultra Battalion Submarines Update 2013
I had purchased one of the Ultra Battalion Seawolf submarines back in 2007 off ebay, unfortunately I was unaware of the modifications needed to keep water out of the motors, receiver, sub on/off switch and after some time it just stopped working. I have long since scraped that submarine. Recently I ran across some posts on this forum about the proper modifications that had to be done for proper function so now I tried to find another one. Sadly they have all but dried up, but was lucky enough to find the same type of Seawolf I had before in China new in the box. After a credit card payment and several weeks it arrived. Below are the current modifications I have done to it so far. A note, when I took the sub apart I noticed that the receiver and hoses were sealed already. I guess word got back that after time in the water with not being sealed they would just die.
I have since sealed the motors and added fairwater planes to the conning tower along with antennas/periscope. I filed some of the plastic down where the bow planes attach so they are strait and level running. I removed 2 of the bottom rear section planes and straitened the rear side planes and glued them on along with stabilizer fins on the end of them. The rear section looks more like a Ballistic Missile sub which was kind of the look I was after. I applied a Krylon Fusion Satin Black to the top half of the sub and Satin Burgandy to the bottom half of the sub. I used testors flat gray paint to add the camo pattern on the antennas/periscope. Note, if you intend to spray paint the foam as I did you will have to use Krylon Short Cuts as this spray paint is intended for foam and hobby use. Other spray paints have a solvent in them and will melt the foam. I'm in the process of painting the rear section of the sub, the top half will be Satin Black and bottom will be Satin Burgandy. I have added a Radio Shack 270-1403B telescoping antenna to my transmitter, I did have to add 3 flat washers to the back side for the antenna to set level but had to file down some of the hump on the cover and it is still a "very" tight fit. But works fine.
Last edited by Confederate_Navy; 08-22-2013 at 04:45 AM.
These are some pictures of my completed submarine.
IMPORTANT NOTICE: I did add some silicone between the switch housing and the rubber seal in the front of the sub to prevent water getting in to the switch housing. This procedure was NOT in the modification PDF but want to be sure all is sealed. If this is not done water can get into the switch housing as the rubber seal will not 100% seal the switch. When doing the silicone modification be sure to do this important modification also!!!!!
Last edited by Confederate_Navy; 08-19-2013 at 07:33 AM.