Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Acrylic WTC Cutting

I have a 36" long piece of Cast Acrylic Tubing 104mm x 110mm and need to cut to length 29".
    Need the cut to be as true and flat as possible for the end caps to seal. Local machine shop wants $350 to cut!!
    I looked at a few you tube videos showing how to use a table saw but since I dont have one that is
    another $300 option. Any other ideas on how to cut this stuff without chipping or cracking the material?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Wood cutting 12" chop saw will make a clean straight cut.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Angry

HI,

You may tray these:
    - Cut a piece of metal sheet , thickness at least 1mm - 1.5mm , minimum width 100mm and having a length equal to at least 1 1/2 longer than the length of the circle that has wtc ..... roll the sheet where do You whant to cut as tight as You can.... overlaps the sheet perfectly aligned and then draw with something to stay visible and You are ready..... you solved

Less EXPENCEIVE and "piece of cake"

MARIUS

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    I actually cut the 4" cast acrylic tube on a table saw with a 90tpi carbide blade by rollng over the table blade with the tube.
    Came out perfect not cracks, no chips and flatter than factory cut.
    WTC is just about done, I had to make custom o-rings 1mm larger than the factory supplied since the acrylic is a little thinner than the PVC tube they provided.
    Cant beat seeing the internals. Need to do a pressure check then try to figure out how to connect the x-tail to the 2 pushrods.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WTC.JPG 
Views:	69 
Size:	4.30 MB 
ID:	1958044

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

WTC cutting

HI ,

I am glad You did a fine cutting. What was the rotation NR of the blade during cutting?.

You didn't say on what submarine You are working?...if is not a secret
    Can You add some photos with Your work until know? .

MARIUS
    Last edited by bijou; 01-16-2014 at 03:35 AM.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Standard rotation on the saw blade, set height 1/8" higher than thickness of acrylic. The trick is to have a perfectly flat surface against the guide and to rotate the tube smoothly. It is also important to have a carbide blade with a higher tooth count no offset and staggered grind on the teeth,

I am building an Arkmodel A212A U22 sub. I will post some photos when I can. My biggest complaint is the lack of support from the manufacturer and having to pay to get parts that were missing from the project kit. The supplied documentation is very limited.
    Last edited by dgxco1; 01-22-2014 at 06:39 PM.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Quote Originally Posted by . My biggest complaint is the[COLOR=#800000
    [/COLOR] lack of support from the manufacturer and having to pay to get parts that were missing from the project kit. The supplied documentation is very limited.
    I know what it meas and is to bad for them because an unsatisfied costumer is not gonna buy again fro them so I don't understand these policies !!!.Is bad for business in a long term .
    I have a 212A type sense 2010 and is steel unfinished because of some Piston tank glitches unsolved no mater what I drayed .Now is dismantled and I use parts for another project .
    If You use the same system : 12V/TAE Piston tanks may be I can find an answer for my problems.

MARIUS