Notices
RC Submarines RC submarine discussions.

Gas ballast system

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2018, 09:18 PM
Gordon Lovett

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gas ballast system

Hello all, new here to the forum but not new to radio control modeling.

I'm in the process of converting my Robbe Seawolf to static dive. After examining all the various types of ballast systems, I have decided to utilize the Propel gas ballast system. I have a gas ballast system ordered and on the way. I constructed the ballast tank from 2" PVC and have modified the component tray to accept the tank. I have everything layed out for all the items needed including the vent valve and tank flooding. I completely understand how the ballast system operates as far as the venting and blowing the ballast tank but not real clear on how the system is installed and seeing it operate. I can visualize how it operates but haven't actually seen one in action.

I've checked the Web and youtube but explanations are somewhat vague and very scarce for the many hours that I have put into it. I've done my homework but it seems that the rc submarine hobby is like a secret society.

Anyways, enough blabbering, so my question is anyone have or know any links to videos or diagrams to gas ballast systems in detail. I need to know how they're installed, the necessary components required ie: linkage, pressure vessel placement, and controls to release gas (propel) from pressure vessel and of course one in actual operation.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Gordon
Old 09-27-2018, 05:05 AM
Gato.Submarine

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Gordon,
it definitely is not a secret society. If anything, it is the opposite. The hard part is posting what you specifically need because in so many ways people come up with their own idea. We are not a large group of people so although we put out a ton of info, it just not as voluminous as say quadcopter.
First, I commend you for jumping into this field. For me the things that make it tough are also the things I love about it. In the older days, pvc was used as a container, but with sporadic bursting and no clear reason why the subcommittee.com banned the use at any of their fun runs. So, copper pipe is used. Along with copper endcaps. Silver solder for a strong solder. Two Schrader valves or tire valves are used. One fills, one does the releasing into the ballast tank. So in a vertical mount, a Schrader valve is soldered into the end cap, this is for filling and the thread on the valve is used to bolt onto the cylinder or pvc in your case. The other valve is soldered on the upper portion of the pipe. To get gas out, you can simply have a servo on the dry side of the cylinder move a rod through a seal that pushes on the end of the valve. Opening up and releasing gas into the ballast tank. There have been many ways the valve is opened from a flat piece of brass to a cam. Usually I see the servo act for two roles, open the ballast tank to vent air out and fill ballast tank with water and to open the gas valve to push air out.
o.k. Did any of that help? If not ask again because I might not be clear on what specific you need.
peace,
tom
Old 09-27-2018, 03:42 PM
Gato.Submarine

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

One more very important note. The gas tank is always kept in the wet!
Old 09-27-2018, 07:40 PM
kinkele

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Gordon:

I am a submariner only. I have three and my first one was the Robbe Seawolf about 23 years ago. I rebuilt it to a static diver too, five or six years ago. I choose to use a metering pump and an IV drip bag contained in a box. The box replaced the 6 volt acid battery located in the middle. It sounds like you have your parts ordered so I won't try and sway you unless you want to hear more. Robbe Seawolf, 1 meter long, PVC tube/outer hull, right?

Kinkele