Notices
RC Submarines RC submarine discussions.

Walmart Submarine = Cool !

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2004, 01:38 PM
75lover

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Walmart Submarine = Cool !

That would be very neat! but I'd bet it cost a fortune.
Old 05-08-2004, 03:59 PM
75lover

Hello,
I am thinking about getting the submarine from Wal-Mart but when I search on their website nothing comes up...someone said on here you can take these subs 10 feet under...?? I'll go on google and run a search on it...maybe something will come up.
Old 05-08-2004, 05:29 PM
gulfstreamI

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: LowWattBulb

Maybe some day we could get together and stage a mock battle sub hunt with some R/C boaters
Wal Mart sub nemesis: Radioshack "Mako" mini-sub on patrol. LOL
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Jh14753.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	39.8 KB
ID:	130338   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk25310.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	74.7 KB
ID:	130339   Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl29896.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	51.0 KB
ID:	130340   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jh15772.jpg
Size:	37.3 KB
ID:	130341  
Old 05-08-2004, 09:51 PM
sirnumskull

After, numerous phone calls I finally located a Walmart Sub . . .

And quickly proceeded to make some of the suggested mods.
I used the existing prop with the refill pen mod to bring it to the outside I also made a bushing out of styrofoam which worked really well because I was lucky enough to center the through-hole for the prop and keep it a close fit to the shaft.
Without this bushing the prop flops around like a fish out of water.
Next I increased the length of the receiver antenna to approx. 2 feet and placed it around the interior of the upper fuselage ...
eliminating the antenna "flag" at the periscope ... I did make sure to waterproof the antenna at that point with sealant and on the inside.
Adding the necessary extra styrofoam and proceeded to "balance the sub" . . .
2300 mA NI-MH rechargeables solved the major part of balancing because of their additional weight . . .
I hated all those loose weights bouncing around in the battery compartment.
I only have one trim weight in the bottom rear fin.
Then the sub was balanced to the correct (flooded) to the sail {conning tower} planes as per the instructions and got much improved control. Without the prop mod it remained level without any side roll and was pretty cool but, I definitely like the improved performance of the prop mod!
I am a very staunch patriot and really like all the flags and decals on this sub but, according to the pics I've seen there are no names,
no numbers and no flags on operating attack-type subs . . . [Well, maybe numbers]
Anyway, I opted to cover over the insignias with removable tape.
I have just begun modifying the transmitter and will be adding a collapsible-type screw-in (~3 ft.) antenna
and have already done the increase to the battery-pack mod, it looks strange but, works well and definitely extends the range.
I made up a 9VDC to 9VDC transistor-type adapter for that mod by soldering two of the connectors together but you must solder
(+) to (-) and (-) to (+) in order to achieve the conversion for the battery pack then you don't have to solder any leads to the
transmitter battery compartment ... just snap in the adapter!

Thanks to all for great ideas with this Cool - Walmart Submarine conversion!

Name:	He97456.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	37.7 KB
ID:	130444   Click image for larger version

Name:	Db86251.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	59.1 KB
ID:	130445   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xu62573.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	44.9 KB
ID:	130446  
Attached Images  
Old 05-09-2004, 09:24 AM
gulfstreamI

Sirnumskull,

Good work on the mods! I'd like to see your version of the 3ft. collapsible or telescopic antenna.
The sub number given for this toy sub is ficticious or incorrect. The names actually do exist in the USN roster. However, I've read in one of those sub websites (can't remember which one) that sub numbers & names were initially painted on sub's hulls during their sea trials. After sucessful completion of those sea trials the numbers & names were painted over.
Can you post some runnig pics? I'd like to see how your's run with the stock propeller.
I would also like to see if anybody here can post underwater running pics of this motorworks sub.
Thanks in advance!

gulfstreamI
Attached Images     
Old 05-10-2004, 09:08 PM
sirnumskull

gulfstreamI:

I took one picture of the mod sub on a surface run and I would say it goes a minimum of 1 1/2 times as fast as the stock sub.
The sub was moving away from me and was about 12 ft. away when I took the picture.
I was using the 12vdc battery pack installed on the transmitter but without any mod to the stock antenna at this time.
I finished the transmitter antenna mod using a telescoping but fixed antenna -> I really wanted to be able to break it down ...
Then, I stopped in at Radio Shack to pick up some wire and found two antennas on sale for only $4.99 each.
One is 39 1/2" Long and the other is "the mother of all antennas" at a whopping 72" (thats 6 ft.!)
My modification to the transmitter housing included using a small round file to carefully inlet the antenna body into the base so that I obtained a close clamping fit.
I tapped out the original antenna boss for 5-40 threads and put in a brass stud, then a brass nut, the antenna, the board connection; followed by another brass nut.
I also had to remove plastic from the upper front of the housing to allow room for the brass nut.
This I will seal with silicone ... at a later date.
The transmitter with the battery and antenna mod will control the sub out to about a 100 ft. "line of sight" over land the antenna was extended to about 4 ft.; I don't think that the range will be more than half that on the water and half of that under-the-water especially because the Toms River is brackish water and its mineral content is relatively high as compared to say, a stream.
Radio signals will penetrate pure water much deeper then water with any kind of contamination so the range is greatly diminished.
Also, the temperature of the river water fluctuates from cold to warm but, never really gets comfortable until the end of the summer.
Cold water is more buoyant then warm water and will chill the batteries and lower their output current this means you have to make trim adjustments and adjust run times depending on the water temperature and mineral content.

Name:	Mk24910.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	44.9 KB
ID:	131054   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj22715.jpg
Size:	20.4 KB
ID:	131055   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vt58328.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	42.5 KB
ID:	131056   Click image for larger version

Name:	Li21111.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	38.2 KB
ID:	131057  
Old 05-10-2004, 09:23 PM
sirnumskull

more pictures of the antenna mod:

[I have not tried the sub with the transmitter mods in the open water maybe this weekend!]

Name:	Hf97751.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	33.5 KB
ID:	131064   Click image for larger version

Name:	Db85605.jpg
Size:	33.1 KB
ID:	131065   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw67665.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	27.5 KB
ID:	131066   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr51578.jpg
Size:	45.6 KB
ID:	131067  
Old 05-15-2004, 10:51 PM
Thrach

I just got a Mako Mini sub and I love it. I tried it out in my bath tub since my pool isn't open yet. The only Problem I have right now is my transmitter wont steer or anything. I'll do what the instructions say and turn it on first then the sub but the sub just runs and wont respond to Up down left or right, the engines just go. Anyone know what might be wrong? neither batteries are dead.
Old 05-17-2004, 06:30 PM
sirnumskull

Nice Weekend for Modified Sub Evaluation but . . . I forgot the camera!?!?

Learning how to manipulate the controls and got another Cool Walmart Sub!

Evaluation of Walmart Modified Sub
After this weekends “River Run†checkout I have decided that
the following “Mods†are necessary for use in Brackish waters.
(i.e.: most lakes, ponds and rivers).
Unless of course one can be satisfied with practically standing over the sub while its underway.
Using the stock submarine in true “fresh water†and some pools will work fine without any modification but, the range will be very limited.

1) Sub Battery Modification
a) Increases running time
b) Less ballast weight needed for balancing
2) Styrofoam Addition Modification
a) Allows compensation for modifications
3) Sealant Modification
a) Decreases possiblility of short circuiting control module
b) Helps protect other necessary components
4) Stock Propeller Modified to outside of sub
a) Increase in speed
b) Increase in ability to maneuver in rough water
c) More realistic look
5) Transmitter Battery Modification
a) Increases use time
b) Increases surface range
c) Increases underwater range
6) Transmitter Antenna Modification
a) Increases surface range
b) Increases underwater range
7) Receiver Antenna Modification
a) Increases surface range
b) Increases underwater range
c) If internal, more realistic look

Also, I have found that unless I trim the sub to decks awash at the sail planes, (as per instructions included with the sub) then the performance is “subâ€-stantially reduced.

Fresh “Fish†for Experimentation

I have recently purchased the USS DALLAS in 49Mhz because my USS CHICAGO is 27Mhz and after web-surfing type research I believe that the higher frequency will be a better performer due to the fact that at 49Mhz you can easily install the approximately 57 inch ¼ wave antenna into the upper hull by using small dual conductor stranded wire (30AWG). Each length of the dual conductor wire doubles the length of the finished antenna after properly connecting the ends and then waterproofing. Running the antenna on the inside of the upper fuselage will only require going 1.5 times around its interior to achieve a ¼ wave antenna at this frequency as opposed to a ¼ wave antenna of twice this length for the 27Mhz USS CHICAGO that I modified. The need for installing Styrofoam will still exist as will the “other†necessary modifications. In this model I will try to “maximize†all of the conversion techniques and work-out the “bugs†{ My . . . “Opus Maximus†? }.

I still cannot believe the price of this “Toy Subâ€, they are of very high quality and have quality control stickers through-out the unit, - an amazing product.
Old 05-17-2004, 07:21 PM
gulfstreamI

Sirnumskull,

Have you tried the sub with the new stern fin design? It's "reversible". You can mount the entire fin assembly up-side down, so the angled stern fins point down for longer runtimes at the bottom. You don't have to use the "dive" button often, unlike the old design.

gulfstreamI
Old 05-17-2004, 07:30 PM
gulfstreamI

My toy sub fleet. The Balao/ Gato WWII sub in the middle was an early Wal Mart sub sold 4 yrs ago.

Name:	Mk26238.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	87.5 KB
ID:	133452   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk26558.jpg
Size:	87.5 KB
ID:	133453  
Old 05-17-2004, 08:18 PM
sirnumskull

gulfstreamI:

You have one nice collection there, and now you have me wanting another sub - gotta find one of those NEW Walmart Subs!

I really wanted to have some pics to show my sub off, especially when I was able to maintain periscope depth and make a continuous 30' circular run.

Thanks again for all of your steady inspiration - it really hooked me !

Sirnumskull
Old 05-18-2004, 06:43 AM
gulfstreamI

Sirnumskull,

You're welcome & thanks for the more comprehensive reviews on the Wal-Mart sub. Great ideas & inspirations sometimes come in "small" packages. Here's a pic of the micro X-sub on a "rescue" mission on the "disabled" U.S.S. Dallas. Now if only we could get to stage those sub VS. "target" (surface ship) battles .... hmmmm.

Name:	Yw68798.jpg
Size:	16.3 KB
ID:	133572   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xv65249.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	18.4 KB
ID:	133573  
Old 05-19-2004, 06:03 AM
sirnumskull

gulfstream:

You do realize if you continue with your steady flow of ideas this saga will never end?

I dissected my new sub . . . The Gutts of the "FISH" . . .

Name:	Mk24898.jpg
Size:	38.3 KB
ID:	133939   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj21989.jpg
Size:	53.4 KB
ID:	133940   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jh16427.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	65.8 KB
ID:	133941   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vr53105.jpg
Size:	61.5 KB
ID:	133942  
Old 05-19-2004, 07:00 AM
MajorTomski

Ok I haven’t ready any of you talking about steering problems with the Wally world sub. Is it me or do these things just turn slowly?
Old 05-19-2004, 09:10 AM
sirnumskull

MajorTomski:

Unequivocally, Positively and Yes! - they definitely have turning problems especially when underway . . . . .

As you probably noticed the turns are right and left wide stern swings and unless solidly pivoted this type of turn includes slides to either side and are not very effective as what we would consider "a turn".

Best chances of nice turns is while the sub is sitting motionless on the surface or submerged at the bottom.
Old 05-19-2004, 10:04 AM
gulfstreamI

ORIGINAL: sirnumskull

Best chances of nice turns is while the sub is sitting motionless on the surface or submerged at the bottom.
Here's a few pics of the sub's side thruster motor in action. This reminds me of those side thrusters on the R.M.S. Queen Mary 2 .

Name:	Yw67264.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	61.8 KB
ID:	134008   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ig13724.jpg
Size:	48.5 KB
ID:	134009   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz78450.jpg
Size:	55.5 KB
ID:	134010  
Old 05-20-2004, 05:49 AM
sirnumskull

gulfstreamI:

Good pics of surface turning!

Some Pics of USS DALLAS & USS CHICAGO as I prepare to start mods:

Name:	Pm35024.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	58.6 KB
ID:	134254   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw66490.jpg
Size:	63.8 KB
ID:	134255   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu59721.jpg
Size:	50.5 KB
ID:	134256   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sn42422.jpg
Size:	59.9 KB
ID:	134257  
Old 05-20-2004, 06:02 PM
sub commander

Hello:

The mako looks interesting. I have not been able to find it here in the states. It's listed on the Canadian Radio Shack site but not for internet order. I may call a store in Canada to see if I can get one but was wondering, how does it compare to the Wal mart sub?

Does it submerge or just run on the surface? All your pictures are great but just show surface running.

Thanks, and great job with the mods.
Old 05-20-2004, 11:18 PM
gulfstreamI

ORIGINAL: Thrach

I just got a Mako Mini sub and I love it. I tried it out in my bath tub since my pool isn't open yet. The only Problem I have right now is my transmitter wont steer or anything. I'll do what the instructions say and turn it on first then the sub but the sub just runs and wont respond to Up down left or right, the engines just go. Anyone know what might be wrong? neither batteries are dead.
Thrach,

If your "Mako" sub is still under the 90 day warranty from Radio Shack I suggest that you return it for a replacement. If it is beyond that period, don't bother to have it serviced with them .... it sucks!! [>:]
Your "Mako" sub (as did mine ) has minor water leakage problems. This is a dry type dynamic diving sub (a little more difficult to waterproof), unlike the Wal Mart sub being discussed here which is a wet type dynamic diving sub.

For a D.I.Y. , open up the sub by removing the four screws that hold the upper & lower "outer hull" of the sub. After this, you can slowly pull out the bow section of the sub.
Pic #1) Check the PCB board containg all the electronics for the sub's controls. Spray this area with "contact cleaner" to remove any possible moisture & or corrosion trapped in this area.
Pics# 2) & 3) Apply silicone grease to the to the rubber seals in the front of the WTC & searchlight area in the bow .
After re-sealing the sub's hull, this should be ready for another patrol in your pool or local pond.
Good luck on getting your mini-sub back into service!

Name:	Us55298.jpg
Size:	40.2 KB
ID:	134522   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj23903.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	38.7 KB
ID:	134523   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr49340.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	40.6 KB
ID:	134524  
Old 05-20-2004, 11:34 PM
gulfstreamI

ORIGINAL: sub commander

Hello:

The mako looks interesting. I have not been able to find it here in the states. It's listed on the Canadian Radio Shack site but not for internet order. I may call a store in Canada to see if I can get one but was wondering, how does it compare to the Wal mart sub?

Does it submerge or just run on the surface? All your pictures are great but just show surface running.

Thanks, and great job with the mods.
sub commander,

1)The "Mako Sub" from RS can dive faster than either of the Wal mart subs, even the moded versions. []
2) This sub can also run circles around the less manueverable Wal Mart sub. []
3) This sub however is outclassed in both surface & underwater speeds ONLY by a fully moded single prop Wal Mart sub.

Hope you locate a Mako sub from R.S. Canada. It's black/silver in color (Canadian version) compared to the one in the pics (U.S. version) shown here.

GulfstreamI

Name:	Nl29049.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	86.3 KB
ID:	134531   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn36079.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	58.3 KB
ID:	134532  
Old 05-21-2004, 06:14 AM
sirnumskull

Some more pics of my USS DALLAS Mod.

The 49Mhz sub can have a 1/4 wave = 57.3" receiver antenna easily installed in the upper fuselage. I use two conductor cable 30AWG stranded wire ~ 29" in Length and solder & seal one end to make the two conductor cable a single conductor and then split the other end and splice one side into the receiver antenna wire and seal and then run the other end up the conning tower thru the periscope and seal it at the tip.
The best modification is definitely gulfstreamI's advice to install rechargeable 2300 mAH batteries and then add styrofoam to compensate for the additional weight. These cells not only supply additional power but also provide needed ballast.
If you want to get really technical you should mark the position of each battery in the holder and replace it to that position after recharging so as to eliminate gross trim problems at next use.

Name:	Ig12453.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	58.6 KB
ID:	134585   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ci98343.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	44.5 KB
ID:	134586   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp43794.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	48.2 KB
ID:	134587   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ez82732.jpg
Size:	53.8 KB
ID:	134588  
Old 05-21-2004, 04:53 PM
sub commander

Hello again:

So the mako does dive and stay submerged? To what depth? - Also, you mentioned yours was a US version. Did you buy it in the US? If so, where? Thanks, Pete
Old 05-21-2004, 05:01 PM
sub commander

I tried the 2300 batteries per gulfstream and your suggestion but I forgot to read the fine print of the message about adding styrofoam. The sucker started to drop like a rock. Good thing I had my hand under it or it would hae been in Davy jones locker. I will now add the styrofoam - where's the best place to add styrofoam? Fore and aft?

BTW, I managed to buy 12 new design subs at Wal-Mart. I already have the old design so I will keep 3 more to tinker with and sell the others on EBAY soon. I'll let everyone know. After all, I need money to buy a Mako sub like gulfstream has!

R, Pete
Old 05-21-2004, 09:18 PM
gulfstreamI

ORIGINAL: sub commander

Hello again:

So the mako does dive and stay submerged? To what depth? - Also, you mentioned yours was a US version. Did you buy it in the US? If so, where? Thanks, Pete
sub commander,
Skipper Pete
It dives or crash dives because the twin motors are able to angle up ( for surface runs) or angle down (bottom runs) via a 3rd motor inside the Mako sub hull. So far I've taken her down to 6 ft. in the pool. Eight foot dives are possible, but you have to stick or dip your transmitter antenna into the water.
You have to fix that water leak first before you do any more dives. These subs were available thru Radioshack in the U.S. since Nov. 2003.
I got mine in Seatlle, WA because it was a little cheaper there & looked different from the ones being sold here by Radioshack Canada. The red/silver version runs on 49 Mhz. The black/silver version runs on 27 Mhz.

GulfstreamI

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.