Notices
RC Submarines RC submarine discussions.

moterworks problem

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2004, 05:47 PM
krawler5

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default moterworks problem

i just got a 27mhz uss chicago. is it common for this freqency to cut out and not get a good signal. my sub works for about 1ft, but 3ft past that the moters pulse and thats it. it also just stops working after about 5ft. is this just common or does anybody know what might be wrong with it???
Old 07-22-2004, 10:04 PM
petn7

Default RE: moterworks problem

the instructions say the range should work to a depth of about 1 meter as for how true this really is, i'll find out this weekend
Old 07-23-2004, 01:47 AM
PURPLETRUCK

stock these subs have a range problem. you can fix this by taking the antenna off the transmitter and putting it on the sub and then getting a new ( longer ) antenna for the transmitter. i used a stock traxxas antenna for mine. its about 3 feet long and telescopes down real nice and small
Old 08-05-2004, 06:43 AM
Turbobearcat

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine have gone down as deep as 11 feet in the swimming pool with no lose of signal..

I have done this repeatedly and I am very happy with the design of the Wallysubs..

Cheers!

Mark
Old 08-07-2004, 11:52 AM
subsinker
My Feedback: (61)

Hello,

I build and operate R/C subs in a local club. It has been my experience that it really does not matter if you are operating a $3000. scale sub or one from Wal-Mart, they all will occasionally glitch. Admittedly, I do not know much about the sub you are talking about but I will pass on a few tips to maybe help you out with your problem.

1. Make sure your batteries are fully charged. This is important but sometimes the simplest of things are the ones we overlook.

2. Ensure ALL of your connections in the sub are tight. I do not use any quick connects. Instead, everything is soldered right to where it connects. Quick connects will cause glitches.

3. What type of water are you operating in? Fresh & salt water are very different and you will lose radio signal in salt water. In addition, salt is tough on your electronics. Is the lake (fresh) clean or does it have moss, garbage, etc in it? If it is a pool is it heavily chlorinated? This will also cause interference.

4. If all else fails, you can put RF chokes on your servo wires. These are little ceramic discs that look like lifesavers candy. You wrap the wires around them and they will minimize the interference caused by the operation of the servo.

Hope this helps!

Pete

There are two types of ships: submarines and targets
Old 08-07-2004, 01:51 PM
LtDoc

krawler5,
It sounds like a loss of signal, which can be from several things. The 27 Mhz band is pretty active with all kinds of services (legal and not), so that could be at least part of your problem. The most likely is that the receiver just isn't getting enough signal to work correctly. The easiest solution is to extend, or add an antenna to the model. From there, it gets more complicated. Do a range test. What ever distance you can control the sub from is what you are going to have to put up with, without doing some 'money throwing'...
- 'Doc
Old 08-07-2004, 05:14 PM
shaneperch

I have TONS of problems on 27 mghz here in Las Vegas.. in Branson Mo I was able to run my 27 stuff with no problems at all. and the Megatech that is on channel "4" is the bad one here glitchs constantly but the best Channel is "2" the chicago I have is very uncontrollable but my Dallas is very nice and enjoyable to mess with. both are the same channel frequency. I think in the heavier populated areas like Vegas I would agree that 27 is BUSY!!! and CBs are in that wavelength I thnk between 26 and 27 FM or AM if AM then the CB thing would make the most scense being that alot of people run linears and crap so that things will bleed over to 27 I would think,, and being that there are more and more and more truckers out there that would defenatly increase the CB usage in the bigger areas. Tom.