Notices
RC Submarines RC submarine discussions.

has anybody else had this problem?

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2004, 04:43 PM
subsinker
My Feedback: (61)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default has anybody else had this problem?

I have been using sealed batteries for years without any problem. A friend told me recently to not use them anymore as the sub could build up hydrogen gas (from charging) and explode. He had told me this had happened to him whilst the sub was underwater and underway. All of my boat (surface craft or otherwise) are using these types of batteries and I have had no trouble with them. Is he all wet? (so to speak)

Pete Olson

There are two types of ships: submarines and targets
Old 07-29-2004, 05:22 PM
mbba2002
Banned
My Feedback: (10)

Default RE: has anybody else had this problem?

I never heard that before. You should let the battery cool of before sealing the sub and be fine.
Old 07-29-2004, 06:26 PM
Eplane1

sealed batts can give off gas. If you check the expensive subs and some sites you see that the sealed areas or WTC's (water tight compartments ) usually have a one way valve or air/pressure release system to allow the gas to escape.
Old 08-02-2004, 02:30 PM
Bob the Builder

SLA's gas during extreme charge or discharge. My sub has the SLA's in the wet part of the sub, so gassing is not a problem. DO NOT seal a lead-acid battery in your WTC. You will eventually have it explode, destroying your submarine and ruining your whole day.

If you need to keep your batteries in a sealed area, change up to NiCads or other similar battery. If you can, just move your SLA's outside your WTC into the wet area of your sub and you won't have a problem.

Bob the Builder
www.rc-sub.com
Old 08-07-2004, 11:56 AM
subsinker
My Feedback: (61)

Ok,

Thanks for the ideas.....just have never heard of it before.

Thanks!
Pete

there are two types of ships: submarines and targets
Old 08-07-2004, 01:43 PM
LtDoc

Pete,
It just depends on what you're calling a 'sealed' battery. The usual 'sealed' lead-acid battery (like an automotive battery) isn't really sealed. It isn't easy to get into them (sort of), but they have to be vented or they will explode (or more accurately, rupture the case). If you're talking about a 'gel-cell' battery, then they won't explode unless you really do something silly like crack/puncture the case. The aren't 'position sensitive', you can mount them up/down/sideways with no problem. No openings in the case at all, so nothing will leak out, hydrogen gas or electrolyte. Of course, if you get them too hot, then sure, they'll cause problems.
Lead-acid batteries are not 'good' for models because of the vented hydrogen, and more importantly, because of the sulfuric acid content of the fumes. Causes a 'meltdown' of whatever the model is made from and you end up with a disolving boat. (Also causes @#$% with the 'life' in the pond where you're sailing.)
If your's, or your friend's gel-cell exploded, then you/he must have been doing something really 'odd'...
- 'Doc
Old 08-10-2004, 03:47 PM
Sabot

It will explode if you seal a battery in a container and charge it time after time, it is true, havnt you noticed that on every battery pack the instructions say 'do not charge in a sealed container'

do you mean a Sealed lead acid battery, they are fine but look at the back of them they have a pressure nipple to let gas out,
if the container its in is open when you are charging the battery you have nothing to worry about

Paris