Notices
RC Submarines RC submarine discussions.

Dynamic diver and "wet" motors

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2004, 12:25 PM
RC Sumo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dynamic diver and "wet" motors

Well I was one of those souls who dropped a whole $20 for a Walmart sub. After 5 minutes of surprising kids in the pool with it, I knew I needed to start looking for my next fix.

So here i am wanting to get into a dynamic diving sub for the following reasons:
1) a simple way to step up from the "toy" Walmart sub.
2)I can purchase a nice little plastic model and use it relatively easy.
3)cheaper overall in parts; no fail safe, no auto balancing thingy for a ballast I won't have...etc.
4)simple=less build up=lazy builder=more sea time and less bench time.

So, I want to keep things kinda on the small side. Like no 3 footers for me for a bit. I have been thinking something between 1-2 feet. Since it will be dynamic diver i figure no need for large hull eh? I like WWII subs, anyone know of a good model to make into R/C?

I read in here about "wet" motors and them not needing to be sealed from water? Anyone have a link or info about this? That would save materials/weight/effort in the build it would seem.

Any info will be appreciated.
Thanks all!

Shane
Old 09-17-2004, 09:39 AM
Bob the Builder

Default RE: Dynamic diver and "wet" motors

The best place to start you research is the subcommittee message boards. I know that I just saw a topic there recently in regards to motors in the wet area of the sub.

If WWII is your era, the best sub for you might be the Revell German Type VII. A bit on the big side, but lots of room for your gear, and enough left over for an eventual conversion to static diving, if you're so inclined.

I've got a little dynamic diver on the horizon as well. A description of my project can be accessed here: http://www.rc-sub.com/12typhoon.html

It's a toy Typhoon that originally only ran in circles, but the motor is sealed, and there's enough room for a couple of miniservos, batteries, and even an autoleveller. I'm hoping to have her done within a week of starting, hopefully by the end of Sept at the latest.

Old 09-17-2004, 10:02 AM
RC Sumo

Cool thanks for the info!
That Typhoon looks fun! How are you going to turn it? Keep the pics coming!

I've looked @ that Revell a few times and dismissed it as being too big for now. I will mostly be sailing in calm and chloronated waters of pools. 3ft+ are just a little too big to have alot of fun in a pool... but I have looked @ that sub as a future project if I end up having regular access to a few ponds.

Nice site by the way! I am really interested to see the I-26 build up. Looks like it will be a fun build up.

Thanks for the response!
Shane
Old 09-19-2004, 10:05 PM
magnumball

where did you buy the toy typhoon from?
Old 09-21-2004, 03:04 PM
Bob the Builder

Where? Ummm. Can't remember. I was on vacation at West Edmonton Mall and it was in one of the hundreds of stores in there. It was full of 'educational' toys, that much I remember.

I haven't seen them around much since then. I think the problem was that the "micro" subs came out soon thereafter, and being able to dive and turn was a big plus over this thing. This model originally had the user just set the rudder at a certain position and then you only had control over forward or reverse. Not real fun.

Since that pic was taken, I've chopped out the enormous battery compartment and arranged all my interal gear. I'm running into issues with my micro servos standing too tall for my seals. Hafta think on that for a while. More pics will be posted as progress continues.
Old 01-04-2005, 03:22 PM
RC Sumo

hey Cap! ever get this lil guy runnin? I am on the verge of picking up a 1/400 scale Typhoon class, will be about "17 long when completed. I was just curious as to what happened with yours. Mine is going to be dynamic and I am going to have to figure out a linkage for the front and aft dive planes to work in conjunction with each other. Won't be sure how that will happen until I get the model here....but it should be fun!
Old 01-05-2005, 02:32 PM
DazDaMan

I'm thinking of doing a mini version of my shark when the big one is done... [&:]