RC Submarines RC submarine discussions.

Mini Submarine:I need a new Toy

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2004, 01:33 PM
75lover

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mini Submarine:I need a new Toy

Hi Everyone,
Even though I am starting construction on a new R/C Boat, I need a new toy. I am thinking about getting a sub.Should I get one of the new mini subs or a larger one like the Motorworks Sub from Wal-Mart? Is the Motorworks sub very good? How deep does that go? I don't have a huge aquarium or anything, but I do have a sink and a bath tub and a HUGE fountain type thing at my nearby community center. It's not a pond, you can see through it clearly, and it's has a cement bottom. I took the Cruise 2 there on it's Maiden Voyage, just to test it out. The thing that appeals to me about the mini subs is that I can do it at home...I don't have to go anywhere. I was thinking about the Hobbico Sea-Scout...how deep does that go? And I am also considering the Makko Shark. I just want to make sure it works. There is a whole bunch of mini-submarines on e-Bay. Are those ones good? Here is the adress to one of the ones on e-Bay. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...921848274&rd=1
Thanks for everyone's help.
Old 09-23-2004, 01:36 PM
75lover

Default RE: Mini Submarine:I need a new Toy

I like the little Megatech submarine..it's really cool...I think that is the one I decided on...from the sounds of it, it seems like it has a ballast tank????
Old 10-28-2004, 10:39 AM
bob zajicek

If the ‘Makko Shark’ is that sold by Toys R Us, buy it! At $20, I couldn’t pass it up. I’ve had mine for several weeks and so far, am very happy with it. I live on a small lake and have had a number of successful ‘cruises’ with the Makko. It will dive to three feet and more and is very maneuverable under water. It is also surprisingly fast, easily able to keep up with my walking speed on the bank. (It also gives the ducks and geese a good run for their money too!)

The instructions advise you to trim it out with the included weights so that it is level in the water. I did this and found that when under power and submerged, it tended to assume a nose down attitude. After removing all of the ballast I had added, (four pieces of eight supplied) it remained level under power and was more maneuverable as well.

This sub is an incredible bargain at $20, IMHO. I can’t imagine what a sub costing $200+ could provide in added enjoyment. If you purchase a Makko to use in pond or lake, I’d advise you to choose the yellow model as it is probably more visible at a distance than the red. Best of luck.
Old 10-28-2004, 01:43 PM
Bob the Builder

Bob,

I got one of the Mako Subs a little while ago, and I'm having a really bad time with reception. Any distance over 1' and it craps out on me. Have you had any problems with yours?

I'm thinking about hacking the thing up for it's parts. The little side thrusters are just about perfect scale for my 1/96 scale Russian Typhoon's creeper motors...
Old 10-28-2004, 02:15 PM
bob zajicek

I haven't had a problem with reception at all, but then I've probably got less than 20 minutes
total run time on the batteries, including the 9 volter in the tranny. I'm also hanging onto my receipt just in case. ;-)
Old 11-04-2004, 07:43 AM
crazyboutrc1227
My Feedback: (5)

I think you should go with the Megatech Mini Sub. It has depth capabilities of up to six feet and a run time of about 15 min.

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXEMH4&P=7
Old 11-15-2004, 03:44 PM
mocars2

Those subs by motorworks are really well built, they can be mod and go down to about 7-8 feet. I see them on Ebay also, very nice.
Old 11-23-2004, 02:04 PM
89X-Cell60

Found a great price for the Megatech Mini Sub. Goto Drs. Foster Smith online catalog (drsfostersmith.com) and search for "item number" CE-17971 and it will bring up the Megatech Mini Sub for 19.99 plus shipping.

David
Old 12-04-2004, 07:49 PM
Team Tekin

I would get the Megatech. Mine is awesome! I drove around in my pool, and dove all the way to the bottom(7 feet) with solid radio contact. Took awhile to get down that far but it was fun! Very Versatile, too.
Old 12-28-2004, 08:14 PM
75lover

Well, I got the motorworks sub! It's great! Thanks for your help everybody! I'm sure the Megatech works great also!