Notices
RC Submarines RC submarine discussions.

Megatech Ocean Explorer

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2004, 03:10 AM
75lover

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Megatech Ocean Explorer

I think I am going to get the Megatech Ocean Explorer 1. I want to get into submarines and I think this is the best way to start out. There is some subs on e-Bay....they look the same as the Megatech, with the side saying Ocean Explorer and everything. They are new and they are such good deals! You guys should check them out. Megatech says they can go to 6 feet but a magazine review said it can go up to 10 feet safely..what do I believe? These are really interesting subs, they even have a ballast tank that automatically blows out the water in the event of a interference. It is so small, and it has a ballast tank..it's really fascinating.This is my first sub, and I just wanted to check the opinion of everyone on RCU. Thanks!
Old 09-24-2004, 12:16 PM
RC Sumo

Default RE: Megatech Ocean Explorer

I almost got into one of those when I came across the Walmart Motorworks sub thread in here. This seemed like getting more into the hobby than the micro subs out there. I don't have the money upfront to purchase some of the bigger/nice true sub kits out there, but I wanted something I could start learning concept with. The micro subs as I understand them use 2 thrusters as their propulsion. These are movable but fixed before operation. Your diving is therefore preset. This seemed very limited to me and i kept coming away feeling like these were a water version of ZipZap/*****ARGER micro cars. Sure they could be fun, but for a little more I could get something I could customize and get more traditional/realistic operation.
Sure, the Walmart sub isn't scale and uses side thrusters for left/right operation, but it also is highly moddable Again, check that thread out. It started me on the ideas of ballast, trimming a sub and basic handling of a sub while submersed. All for $20. I really think you would have a hard time beating that. There is also some "cool" factor with this "toy" sub. It looks like a nuclear sub and runs along the surface for all to see it. This sub got me hooked into RC Subs and I am currently searching for my next project: to convert a plastic "static" model into a dynamic diving sub. If you have any questions on the Walmart sub, email me. I 'll be glad to give you my experiences with it. Good luck! Have fun and share your fun!
Shane
RC Sumo

Oh yeah, almost forgot:
thread link: http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/Walm...1397464/tm.htm
Old 09-24-2004, 08:09 PM
75lover

Thanks for the info. I'll check the link out, and I 'll let you know which sub I decide on...so the Megatech doesn't have a ballast tank, right? One thing about the Wally World sub is that I called all of the Wal-Mart stores within an hour from me and they don't have it..and they don't on their site either..hmmm
Old 09-24-2004, 08:21 PM
Captain Nemo12

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree Shane, RC subs have this special attraction to disappear somewhere underwater and pop-up in another whole new place, with a really cool looking sub, you can really attract some viewers around you! The Ocean Explorer has two diagonally fixed props on the side for populsion, turning, and diving. My opinion, it's just a re-introduction from the Nikko Seatiger sub (red/black sub with sharkfaced front ). The price seems a bit too much though, compared to the Hobbico "Baby Kilo" 59,99 to 49,99. Ten dollars to spare!
Old 09-24-2004, 10:22 PM
75lover

Man you guys know a whole lot...
Old 09-25-2004, 12:14 PM
Captain Nemo12

According to the Walmart sub posts, the Motorworks sub seems to be a fave, back in Ottawa where I used to live, it was hard to find those subs because the stores were at the other end of the city and I had to spend a few hours just to go there and come back, didn't really bother going anyways.... I am now converting a plastic sub kit to RC. RC crafts are my lifeblood, I don't know what I would you without them!
Old 09-26-2004, 02:39 AM
75lover

My brother got one of those National Geographic Subs yesterday (it was $25.00) And you have to take it out of the water and adjust the engines to either dive, go forward or turn! [:@] 1 The megatech isn't like that right??
Old 09-26-2004, 05:42 AM
Tungi

The megatech is the same as the National geo sub. You have to adjust the engines to dive, however you can control the engines separately to turn. It's the only difference.
Those type of subs(megatech, nikko seatiger and national geo) sucks.[:'(]

I have a nikko seawolf, I recommend you the seawolf or the walmart sub, see the posts to compare them.
Old 09-26-2004, 09:48 PM
75lover

MAN!! I really liked the Megatech, too. But the Seawolf is expensive isn't it?
Old 09-26-2004, 11:27 PM
75lover

Hey, I was looking at this submarine called Keiko, and it looks like a clownfish but it says, that you can dive surface and turn, ect, completley with the controller..I also says it goes about 6 feet under. Can you guys see if this sub is good?
Old 09-27-2004, 11:31 AM
Tungi

The Keiko sub is the same as the megatech Bad. Try with the Mako sub, it's cheap and I think that you can move the angle of the thrusters with the controller.

A new seawolf costs 150$ approx, but you can get one from e-bay, I see some seawolf for only 30$ (also you can get an older version, that is the same sub with different colors( mine's called seastar) http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/nikk...1976177/tm.htm
I know of Seawolf, Sea star, Ocean explorer and Shark Hunter(or something like that)
Old 09-27-2004, 11:43 AM
RC Sumo

75lover..... try Ebay for the Motorworks subs. People post them alot. Here is a search result with just "motorworks" as my search. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...sPageName=WDVW

You can try USS Dallas and USS Chicago and pull one up as well. They run a little more expensive online. If you have a Walmart Super Center ( the REALLY huge Walmarts) that is where they carry them. Again, go through that thread because someone was buying and selling them to guys in here who did not have access to a Super Wally. I also know of a guy who might be able to help you out...he's my brother and lives near a super wally. For a little compensation he could probably hook you up. Let me know!
Shane
RCSumo
Old 09-27-2004, 04:29 PM
75lover

Okay RC Sumo, that's great. I'll look around on the computer at the Sea Wolf, Mako, ect. Thanks for your guys help...if not, I would have probably be sitting home with a submarine that can dive by itself!
Old 09-28-2004, 04:48 PM
Captain Nemo12

Also check out the Hobbico Baby Kilo, seems like a good deal too, there is a review about that sub on this website.
Old 09-30-2004, 10:44 PM
75lover

I asked the company about the Keiko, and they said this...and I quote ""Everything is automatic. You don't need to adjust anything''

Hmm? I will check out the Kilo,...where is the review on this site? In the product guide? Are you talking about the Sea Scout?
Old 10-01-2004, 11:11 AM
RC Sumo

....I think perhaps he was talking about that one? I read that review. Looks like a fun little sub. If I ever get my aquarium stand built I'll grab one to "herd" my fish around.....
Old 10-01-2004, 04:17 PM
Captain Nemo12

Sea Scout= Baby Kilo! You can see the familiarities below!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ro41840.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	15.7 KB
ID:	178569   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vq51915.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	15.9 KB
ID:	178570   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mr41614.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	9.4 KB
ID:	178571   Click image for larger version

Name:	Uo36606.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	9.1 KB
ID:	178572  
Old 10-01-2004, 04:41 PM
G dog

Captain Nemo 12, what is the bigger one ?
Old 10-02-2004, 12:48 PM
Captain Nemo12

a 1/144 scale Trumpeter Kilo Sub that I converted to RC. Check out my post about the Kilo in this forum.
Old 10-03-2004, 02:05 AM
75lover

Well, I am going to ket the Baby kilo/Sea Scout...it seems like the best deal to me...
Old 10-03-2004, 02:07 AM
75lover

it goes super fast,too! I saw a video!!
Old 10-03-2004, 01:20 PM
Captain Nemo12

I just wish I could fire torps!
Old 10-03-2004, 01:22 PM
Captain Nemo12

Baby Kilo, too small to fire torps, grown up Kilo, maybe!
Old 10-04-2004, 11:47 AM
RC Sumo

you talkin about your Kilo Cap'n?........maybe if she were a dynamic diver you would have room to rig some kind of spring loaded torps!
Old 10-04-2004, 02:33 PM
Captain Nemo12

well, one thing is I can't fit torps inside the Kilo, with the front electronic WTC, it just leaves about a 2cmx 3cmx 3cm room space, dynamic, static diver or not, small torps through the water will be hard to spot.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.