RC Submarines RC submarine discussions.

Newbie questions... Dumas Akula

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2004, 09:46 AM
-pkh-
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie questions... Dumas Akula

I'm thinking of getting a sub... I searched/surfed for a couple of hours last night, checking out links posted throughout this forum to get some info, but I still have some more detailed questions, so please bear with me! I want to start with something relatively inexpensive and easy to build, and it looks like the Dumas Akula might fit the bill. Here's a few questions I have, some specific to the Akula, some general...

1) Is there a copy of the Dumas Akula manual online somewhere? I hoped the Dumas website might have it, but no luck. Finding this will answer some of my other questions....

2) Does the Dumas Akula kit include a WTC? Or do you just build the hull so that it, or a portion of it, is water tight? I'm assuming I just need a motor, ESC, batt, RX, and some servos to start with... but no "sub-specific" electronics just yet, right?

3) Looks like some online shops sell this kit with some upgrades. For $20 more than the kit price Mike's Subworks includes upgraded driveshaft and pushrod seals... is this worth the price, or even necessary? ( http://www.mikessubworks.com/akula.html ).

4) The kit specs a $50 Dumas 6V motor with bushings, do I really need to get that? Sounds like a rip-off for a non BB can motor! Can I just get a generic motor of similar size instead? What size is it? 400, 540? I guess I'd need to find the drive shaft and coupler separately then... http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXE552&P=M

5) About how long does it take to build a kit like this? What do I need to complete it, just some epoxy, or do I need some fiber glass, bondo, or other building tools & materials?

6) Can you guys point me to any websites with some details & photos of construction of this kit?

7) Is there a website with details on how to build your own WTC and different ways of making waterproof "pass-throughs" for wires, pushrods, driveshafts, etc. ?

Sorry for all the questions! Thanks for bearing with me here!
Old 12-11-2004, 01:22 PM
Captain Nemo12

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Newbie questions... Dumas Akula

Here we go, bear with me here too!

1) I don't really know where exactly to find a manual online, some sub modelers might offer to make some scans and put them on their website, I KNOW that I've seen something about a manual offered online somewhere, it might not be a sub if I can remeber......

2) I believe the Dumas Akula comes with its own WTC, that means the hull must be free-flooding, meaning that the WTC is the only watertight compartment inside. As for sub-specific electronics, sub modeler tend to include an Automatic Depth Control (ADC), Pitch control, ballast-tank switch (for static divers), etc.

3) I believe the the Akula upgrades sold by Mikes's subworks was originally sold a by company called Subtech, which is now based in the UK. Looking at some photos of the Dumas kit without the upgrades, the rudders and diving planes on the sub are not really to scale, Subtech's Aklua ugrades offer resin diving planes, sonar dome, and rudders, etc. If you are a scale purist, I would buy it or even make my own ones. Your choice really, fun is the main part!

4) You need a motor for something! The Akula might not have the motor included but their other kit, the Bluefish does come with running hardware. I do not know much about motors but I think you'll have to include a gearbox to reduce the sub's speed or increase it.

5) Since the Dumas Akula is a dynamic diver (the speed of the sub and the inclined diving-planes pushes it underwater), if your sub is having trouble, just stop teh motor and you'll be safe, buoyancy will bring the sub to surface. In general it will not take a long time depending on your other projects and time available, if you want to have a sub running in the water ASAP, might as well get it done quickly. But quick workmanship can lead to surprise leaks, other problems if you're not careful.

6) You can go to the Subcommittee's website and join their forum to ask questions if you like, the folks there will answer your question much better than I can, info is critical! I'm sure that someone out there has built this kit and can offer photos of the construction.

7) Sure! Just check out this site: www.subconcepts.com, there are links to vendors that sell special linkage seals and other waterproof stuff!! Simple seals can be made from rubber rings, add a little grease and work, you'll be good to go! WTC tubes can be made form Lexan, plastic, or even PVC pipes!! Just find a way to make the endcaps, seal it, and you're done!!

Hope this helps!!
Old 12-12-2004, 07:08 PM
-pkh-
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was planning on trying this kit out without auto-levelling and depth circuitry first. Does controlling one of these dynamic diving subs pretty much suck without them, or can you get fairly good at depth control with some practice?
Old 12-13-2004, 04:51 PM
Captain Nemo12

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't think so..... I mean, just look at the Graunper Shark! (Available at Hobby Lobby) it barely has any room to fit an extra servo yet it handles pretty good on the water. Just ballast the boat well from top to bottom, you can link the diving planes together, establishing linkages allowing the front planes to go up while the stern planes are down will give you more control as well.