Notices
RC Submarines RC submarine discussions.

looking for sub

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2005, 01:09 PM
modelrr

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default looking for sub

I looked at the Graupner Shark. I don't think it would cost much more than $200 with all of the parts. I know I can't afford anything else (maybe the Akula). I don't care much about lack of space since I'm not adding a ballasts system.

About the parts... I don't really know what would be good. I'm thinking of getting [link=http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXGZX1&P=ML]this speed control[/link]...

I don't know what drive unit to get. Any suggestions?
About the batteries: I can't find a 6-cell 7.2V 1200mAh pack. Is 1500mAh ok?

I'm hopeless

thanks
Old 04-13-2005, 03:47 PM
modelrr

Default RE: looking for sub

Never mind about the Graupner Shark! I read more into a review. I now can understand why it's not such a good buy.

Well, I don't know what I'm going to do now. My only hope is to get the CSS Akula, which is about $300 total.
Thanks for your help
Old 04-13-2005, 04:17 PM
Captain Nemo12

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I found something cheaper! Well the hull at least, this is called the HFM Deep Dive, dives dynamically just like the Seawolf, but instead it has a non-cylindrincal hull (can't dive as deep) All you have to do is throw in the radio, maybe motors slap, on some decals (included) and off you go! The hull costs just over $100 US at around $133.

You have to order it from the UK though:
http://www.model-dockyard.com/hfm/deep-dive.htm
Old 04-13-2005, 05:09 PM
modelrr

Well, I looked at the sub ($133), added the shipping costs [:@] ($94). Then I added the $170-80 of accessories. Total cost would be about $400. I think that if I could somehow order it from the USA, I would do it.

thanks
Old 04-13-2005, 05:19 PM
Captain Nemo12

I think this particular sub is aimed at the young RC modelling community, but you could make it look more "professional" by changing the paint scheme perhaps? As far as depth goes, no sub actually goes "too deep" the owner usually keep the sub at a safe depth of a couple of feets (3 or 4). A non-cylindrical hull will have a diving depth less than that of a cylindrical sub, as cylinder hulls can resist the water-pressure better. I have also seen people who have modified the hull to make it look different!
Old 04-13-2005, 05:29 PM
Captain Nemo12

New picture: I got this one from the SubRon6 website, notice how the builder added new parts to the hull and gave it a new paint scheme, this is done using the original Deep Dive kit as a basic model.

Old 04-13-2005, 05:38 PM
modelrr

I found that a micro switch was needed for the speed control. Can't I just use a 3-channel radio instead??

Also, I found that shipping cost would be about $95 and the actual kit would be $135. []
Old 04-13-2005, 07:26 PM
Captain Nemo12

Well maybe you could modify the internals a bit and install a normal speed-control. This should work for a typical sub. Like many other subs from overseas, it's not unlikely to find some shipping cost set back. I don't know any North-American importers for this sub, perhaps you RC a plastic model kit like many others have, the kit itself is cheap and all you need is to work on the internals.
Old 04-13-2005, 08:03 PM
modelrr

I am a beginner at rc subs (except for the mini explorer sub). Scratchbuilding one is tempting. If I did scratchbuild a simple one (w/out ballast tanks), would it be more or less expensive? It sounds like there are a lot of parts to buy. Then I'll have to make the sub watertight.
Old 04-14-2005, 10:29 AM
junglelord

this is another web forum for subs
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=60
we have some good discussions on the SeaWolf!

this is a canadian supplier for the Seawolf, which i only found after i got mine from england, so i know about the shipping cost dilemma!
http://www.ajhobby.com/defaultpage.a...cat=Submarines

with american funds, this could help you out quite a bit, and let me know how things go!
Old 04-14-2005, 10:57 AM
modelrr

As I said before, I'm going back and forth on this decision. The cost of the seawolf will be a little less than the deep dive VI (which is $140 plus $95 shipping). I probably won't get a sub at all until early to mid summer, so I'll have plenty of time to think about it.

I'm having a bit of trouble finding the right accessories for the sub. I don't want to do anything wrong! I'll make a bunch of links to the parts I'm getting sometime soon.

Thanks!
Old 04-14-2005, 03:06 PM
Captain Nemo12

Yes, scracthbuildng will take some time depending on your building experience, it will be again more or less challenging considering the type of sub you want to build. Do you want to base your sub on a real scale submarine or make a simple one out of PVC pipes and simple parts? What type of accessories do you need?
Old 04-14-2005, 04:32 PM
modelrr

I have absolutely no idea on what to get for scratchbuilding one. (besides basic equipment like radio and motor)
I looked around for suitable submarine models to convert. [link=http://www.modelshipbuilding.com/144seawolf.htm]Is this one ok??[/link]
Old 04-14-2005, 07:35 PM
junglelord

now where did you stumble across that?
you are so cool, way to go...
i have to have one!
$32.95, so nice to afford the toys you want!
Old 04-14-2005, 07:54 PM
modelrr

thanks. [8D] I might buy this one. Do you know of any sites that are on scratchbuilding subs? because I am clueless on what to buy and how to convert the model to r/c.
Old 04-15-2005, 08:49 AM
drifter
My Feedback: (53)

Try here for seawolf conversion:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=347436
Old 04-15-2005, 11:41 AM
Captain Nemo12

The model you've found is the 1/144 scale Trumpeter Seawolf model, very popular with RC conversion guys, kinda like a sister-model to the Trumpeter Kilo that is also available on the market. The Seawolf is bigger, with more space.