Notices
RC Submarines RC submarine discussions.

Rocket Tubing Sub

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2008, 09:29 PM
drivedog

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rocket Tubing Sub

Wow how cool I just stumbled on this sub site and want to build a sub !!!
Being a rocket builder I have nose cones and tubes laying around.
Here is a picture of a 2.250" tube with a ogive nose cone on one end and a conical on the other.
My question is could something like this work ??? I have the same setup in 4.000" tubing but was to big to take a picture.
I have a lathe and all the parts (almost) to complete a sub build
Thanks in advance !!!

My last project went mach 3.1 until there was a glitch
http://www.rockethigh.com
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr49925.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	16.2 KB
ID:	956035  
Old 05-24-2008, 11:10 PM
CrunchyFrog

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Rocket Tubing Sub

I don't see why not...2.25 inches isn't a lot of inside diameter to work with for your watertight compartment, though do-able (my homebuild has a 2-inch inside diameter watertight cylinder, inside an SSN-21 Seawolf 1-144 scale outer hull that serves as something nicer to look at than PVC).

What kind of sub do you have almost all the parts to build ?

Lathes are nice tools to have in RC subs, I can only envy !
Old 05-24-2008, 11:33 PM
drivedog

I have no idea what I am doing !!! But I have lots of rc parts, tubes and stuff. Was thinking of a torpedo instead of sub ????
What kind of power are you sub guys using ??? Lipo ??? Brushless ???
Has anyone tried co2 powering a co2 motor ??? I would like to use H2o2 with a catalyst pac and co2 motor (the rocket guy in me)
Also what kind of depth and speed are some of the subs achieving ???
Thanks again
Old 05-25-2008, 12:23 AM
CrunchyFrog

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You won't find me the most knowledgeable on options, I knew I couldn't keep spending on an ongoing basis so I shied away from hobby stores. I used 8 AA rechargeable NiMH 2650 mah cells in series, and scavenged another toy RC boat's circuit board. My "servo" motors are scavenged from toy rc cars and the main drive motor came from an imitation-Dremel-type tool.

Wal-Mart used to sell simple, no-ballast-tank subs (dynamic divers) for $20 each summer season, but this year they seem to be absent. I think the record for diving not only these toy subs but also the more elaborate models is about 30 feetSkip Asay actually had a diver follow his sub down to confirm its responses while he worked the controls.

The more that people put into a sub, the fewer risks they're willing to take. When I had a $20 sub I could replace with a trip to Wal-Mart, I sent them down pretty much where I liked. I loved to mount lights on them and watch the glow move around underwater at night. I drove one down in the middle of a lake once (from my rowboat) to where I lost sight contact with the light at about 10 feet, and never saw that sub again. So I bought a new $20 sub that looked just like it.

On the other hand, a hobbyist who invests time into building their own, finding out what works, and finally getting the satisfaction of sailing it, typically becomes risk-averse. I'm there, so for me now any dive where I lose sight contact with the sub and can't see the bottom, is too deep a dive! So I don't know how deep my sub can go and I stick to 3 to 10 feet. I had a leak one night and luckily managed to drive my sub back to where I saw the light land on the bottom, and I jumped in, grabbed my favorite toy, and got right back out (and drained 1/4 cup water from the watertight area. Luckily the circuit board is in a second chamber within the WTC !).
Old 05-26-2008, 04:48 PM
t warne

Drivedog,
can you please elaborate on the propulsion system? What is it and how does it work?

thanks,
TW
Old 08-02-2008, 01:48 PM
rva1945

Hi CrunchyFrog:

I have recentrly purchased a Trumpeter 1:144 Seawolf, which of course I will convert to RC with a static system.

I'm experimenting with pump and syringe systems, still didn't pick one.

Which is yours?

Regards
Robert