Notices
RC Submarines RC submarine discussions.

Scale missile test

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2009, 07:45 PM
Rogue Sub

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Scale missile test

As you may or may not know I have been making a missile system for my ohio. Here is a look at how it works so far. I have been launching the missiles using 60psi and liquid air for propellant in the missile. The cylinders are 4" long and about 3"- 2.5" nominal gas space inside. Overall Missile length with balsa nose cone is 5". The exhaust port is 1/16" with a taper bore nozzle and o-ring seal. For my testing I am using air from my compressor to launch, later I will use propel on board, which has a pressure of about 70psi at around 70 degrees F. Right now I am test launching out of a bucket and getting small heights. To increase my height I am going to reduce weight by cutting down on bulkhead thickness. this will not only increase my gas volume but also decrease weight. A 3/32 nozzle is also interesting. Now for some photos and a movie!

Old 01-11-2009, 07:49 PM
Rogue Sub

Default RE: Scale missile test

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=guLXjlHFyCg
Old 01-11-2009, 09:21 PM
petn7

Great stuff!

Will your Ohio class sub carry more than one missile?
Old 01-11-2009, 09:49 PM
Habaneroe
My Feedback: (1)

FYI The Nuclear 1972 Treaty of Geneva explicitly forbids the handling of nuclear devices by three year olds.
Old 01-11-2009, 09:51 PM
Rogue Sub

The ohio ill be carrying a complement of 2 missiles but is set up to carry 4 at this moment.

As for the geneva we are in the clear because my kid is 5yo
Old 01-14-2009, 09:29 PM
Rogue Sub

After scrapping the last 2 days worth of work due to dissatisfaction, I took a different approach to my system. One of the big problems I was having was getting the launch tube holes cut into the lexan for the launch module. I tried using squares and spade bits in the drill press but the results werent very good. The spade was so rough on the tube that it made an oblong holes with the centers off by a few cm. The holes being off center were my biggest issue. My tolerances for getting a missile through the turtle deck and past the hatch door with breach is small.
After a few hours at work of contemplating and not working I decided to use graph paper to make a master. I then used a dremel with a carbide bit to slowly make my holes and stay within the LINES!

I also refined my missiles a bit. I trimmed down the size of my shrader valves and the missiles themselves. I also turned down the end of the missiles so the just fit in my cups. Not to tight but just enough. I also came up with a way to get my nozzles in without misalignment. Also took more care in making the counter bores.

I am using a center pin with a gas inlet. You can also see the launch gas chamber I made.

Old 01-22-2009, 10:51 AM
cyclops2

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Years ago I just launched ESTES Mosquito rockets with several " parachute ejection " charges.
Piece of sticky tape over the launch tube opening on deck. The tape was LIGHTLY scribed with a X .
Ignition was a standard ESTES ignition REDHEAD igniter. All parts were in a Brass launch tube with 2 mini-clips using Teflon wires for the short duration of blast off heat.
The tube was slightly larger than the diameter of the Mosquito. Launches came out of the water near straight up MOST all the time. Rocket fins were 1/2 of the missile length and outside of the fins were VERTICAL. That alone provides a 12" guide to vertical stability.

No parachutes are needed as the falling missile is light enough.
Old 03-19-2009, 10:24 PM
astroboycp

That's cool. Can't wait to see your sub engaged in battle.