Notices
RC Submarines RC submarine discussions.

External Electrical Connections

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2009, 07:45 PM
AQUASUB

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default External Electrical Connections

I have been useing military cannon plugs for years now and have had extreamly good service out of them,so far have never had to even clean one or repair or replace one.
Over many years I noticed that electrical wires where just passed threw the casings wall and even hot circuits just left out in the water,as one can imagine or experianced electrolisis will become a problem in short time not to mention shorts and power loss.

For a more pro designe I opted for what the military and general marine engineers do with the instalation of the cannon plug connectors.
There easy to install once its been explianed.

The great features of the plugs are that with just a twist of the socket it opens or disconnects the entire lume or bunch of wires giving you the ability to acsses the circuits for testing or maintenace ,no need to pierce the wire to get a reading.
Also no arking or cross polarity while connecting or disconnecting the plug which means that even hot circuits can be left on with no fear of cross circuiting as a special indexing feature aloows only the right connection at the right place like a key and lock.

High voltages like ESCs motor output can run together with even servo circuits on the same plug.

And best of all the connection is watertight! When locked in place the 2 inner seals seal the male and female faces with great force.

The pins or conductors can be from 1 to 300 seperate wires!

These pins and sockets are gold plated for a perfect contact in even the most humid conditions as even humidity will cause electrolisis and bad conections.

Once installed these plugs will provide years of worry free service that is so vital in a good running sub.

Also with just one single hole usualy about the size of a nickle or smaller depending on the number conductors a large number of wires can pass threw not many smaller or in bunches.
Small and compact designe .

And if needed a watertight metal cap can be installed to protect the pins when not in use.

If one removes the pins to the shell a acsses hatch can be made with the cap for say a switch or instant drain or vent.

To install I connect the connector together after all of the circuits have been passed threw the casing ,saulder the wires to the connector with the square flange which is where it is mounted to the casing or bulkhead or mail side then once all wires are sauldered open up the plug and open the loom so that Goop can be poured over the saulder and rear pins enogh so that it won't spill over then twist it back together and wire wrap the end of the gooped area.This makes the watertight rear pins and sauldered connections sealed.The same is done for the female plugs back end.Goop the square flange to the casing and the seal is finished and if needed screw the flange also in place.
Then just make sure your circuits are connected to the right thing and your done,wire labels help alot for this as well.
Also each pin is numbered on both ends so that you can keep a record of what is connected to what and for truble shooting the circuits in the future.

Some come in stainless or a non rusting alloy both work very well and have never rusted,good stuff!

Also for charging circuits, an umbilical cable can be made with another mateing connector and easy acsses to the main power is done and can even be left connected while under water in a test tank to monitor power extra.

All quality cannon plug connectors have the gold pins and is very important along with internal" O" ring or waifer seals.

The pictures show the ones I use most from Amphenol type to other makes ,the 5 pin is the most used but even 16 pins or more have been used,they are all high qualty and made to military specks.

Let me know if you would like more info on this great connector.

Dave Amur Sub Yard

<edited to comply with site rules>
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Mj24302.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	118.1 KB
ID:	1307995   Click image for larger version

Name:	Uq49884.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	111.0 KB
ID:	1307996   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ns43723.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	117.8 KB
ID:	1307997   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qj20835.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	112.3 KB
ID:	1307998   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xi60806.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	113.2 KB
ID:	1307999   Click image for larger version

Name:	Du21687.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	113.3 KB
ID:	1308000   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ce71636.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	111.6 KB
ID:	1308001   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vt68250.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	113.7 KB
ID:	1308002  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge66651.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	111.8 KB
ID:	1308003   Click image for larger version

Name:	Nz17976.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	123.5 KB
ID:	1308004   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yd29215.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	117.6 KB
ID:	1308005  
Old 11-06-2009, 01:12 AM
Skip Asay

Default RE: External Electrical Connections

"Over many years I noticed that electrical wires where just passed threw the casings wall and even hot circuits just left out in the water,as one can imagine or experianced electrolisis will become a problem in short time not to mention shorts and power loss."

The above statement is true if you run your boat in salt water. However, since at least 90% of submarines are run in fresh water, there's no problem. For over 35 years, I've had power lines exposed to the water and have never had a problem. My Type XXIII has had exposed wires for over 29 years and they're still going strong. And this boat has spent more than a little time in swimming pools.

"High voltages like ESCs motor output can run together with even servo circuits on the same plug."

Don't do it! Running power lines right next to servo leads is a sure fire invitation to glitches. Been there, done that. And I've seen too many other guys pull their hair out trying to find that mysterious glitch which was completely eliminated by separating the power leads and servo leads.

Skip Asay
Old 11-10-2009, 11:16 AM
AQUASUB

"Over many years I noticed that electrical wires where just passed threw the casings wall and even hot circuits just left out in the water,as one can imagine or experianced electrolisis will become a problem in short time not to mention shorts and power loss."

The above statement is true if you run your boat in salt water. However, since at least 90% of submarines are run in fresh water, there's no problem. For over 35 years, I've had power lines exposed to the water and have never had a problem. My Type XXIII has had exposed wires for over 29 years and they're still going strong. And this boat has spent more than a little time in swimming pools.

"High voltages like ESCs motor output can run together with even servo circuits on the same plug."

Don't do it! Running power lines right next to servo leads is a sure fire invitation to glitches. Been there, done that. And I've seen too many other guys pull their hair out trying to find that mysterious glitch which was completely eliminated by separating the power leads and servo leads.

Skip Asay

Could not desagre more!

Would you buy ,use or even let your family use a veicle of any kind that had exposed electrical wireing?I know I would not .

Why you even say its OK is beyound me,if those two hot wires should touch each other the resulting short would melt the internal wireing in the casing not to mention if there is any gas from the baterries,what bomb in the making,you have the ignition source all is needded is the monkey to to turn it on !

No sir I make dam sure every wire is secure and well isulated not dangling out in the wet.

As for electrolisis not a problem in fresh water,have you ever seen your battery in your car ,the terminals always get nice and green nasty corrotion if not protected from ,you gest it humidity and there not sub merged in water! No wonder so many get glitches and powerlosses and just nasty corrotion from not properly insulating the electrical connections or external hot leads man thats extraemly important for a subs electrical system as it is the most important and complex sytem on the sub,it is what makes the sub "alive" and well not sick.
Thats why i go the extra mile to insure that the electrical system is capable to be submerged in water,the worst inviroment on earth short of a volcano to be in .If anyone that has been in the Military Aviation or Naval services the extent that is takken to control corrotion of just the electrical sytems is stagerring and is a huge expence and offen leads to the entire retirement of the veicle if not properly maintained and to insure that long lasting service of the system the cannon plug connector was invented with its gold plated pinsand sealto insure that no corrotion will occure in those very complex and sensative systems.

Much like our subs they are very sensative to power loss or glitches of any kind and must be well grounded and insulated from shorts extra,hey its been done that way for many many years and it works very nice.
Just one of the secrets to the succses of my subs,I don't like going in after them,but do go in to cool down!
For combining the circuits like ESs and servos ,I dont have any bad experiances with that ,why ? see above ,if its done right you won't have any problems and yes I do build some prity complex babies with alot of wireing and yet don't have glitching or malfunctions,remember its all about "insulation" when it comes to water and juice.
Dave Amur Sub Yard
Old 11-10-2009, 01:20 PM
Skip Asay

I'll repeat -

"Could not desagre more!"

"Why you even say its OK is beyound me,if those two hot wires should touch each other the resulting short would melt the internal wireing in the casing not to mention if there is any gas from the baterries,what bomb in the making,you have the ignition source all is needded is the monkey to to turn it on !"

"No sir I make dam sure every wire is secure and well isulated not dangling out in the wet."

I was pointing out that running power lines in close proximity to signal wires is a definite NO - NO. I said nothing about bare wires floating around that could make contact with each other. And as I've said, IN FRESH WATER there's no problem having non insulated power lines. This is in reference to those who mount their batteries outside and then run the leads to screws with nuts which are exposed. I've been doing it for too long now with zero negative results.

Skip Asay
Old 11-10-2009, 10:59 PM
AQUASUB

I would check very carefully the condition of the wires that are exposed to the water by peeling back the insulation and revealing the corroded wire ,it will be hidden in most cases and is causing alot of power loss.
No matter what water your in its going to corode the wire especialy hot wires.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electrolysis_of_water
The important thing here is that ALL connections must be sealed to prevent any future unforseen problems.For instance I use marine grade wire it is very different than regular wire fromelectricalretailers ,it is made from differentalloys to inhibit the electrolisis and damaging corrotion and it doesn't cost much more,I get it in 100 ft rools for 10 bucks!

Now if youwant to have an external charging circuit so that the desassembling of the sub is not needed I have beenuseing a simple solution that is light and effectiveand low cost.Simply use a 2 inch piece of silicone tubbing large size or small for smaller wire and insert a plastic bead ,puch the bead till half way and then insert the2 hot wires into each end,this circuit is only activated when the sub is turned off by the main switch easy to do with a try terminal toggle switch or evena relay.Be sure your batteries are vented to the air not sealed in the casing!I did this with the last sub I just finished today a type XXI.No need to openthe sub for charging.

Ithas the above cannon plug connector with 12 volt navelight circuit,2 -12 volt EScs and on another sub 2 ESCs and one servo,no glitches what so ever ,this is new school stuff that works very well so don't be desmaid to use it.

Dave
Old 11-10-2009, 11:42 PM
sunworksco

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The amount ofconduction ofelectricity depends on the amount of total dissolved solids suspended in the water.
ATDS water meterreads the level by electrical conduction of the solids by using current from batteries.Water flowing out of home faucets in California ranges anywhere from 50 parts per million to 400ppm.The closer you are to geothermal springs,the higher the dissolved solids.Swimming pools disinfected with chlorine can be at 200-600ppm but I have seen pool water over 2600ppm.Salt chlorination systems can make dissolved solids ashigh as 4500ppm.It all depends on how often the pool water is replenished.The TDS meter reads the level of conductivity by feeding voltage from one electrode to another so voltage does actually travel through waterand batteries can be discharged in this way.As someone who designs and installs electrical systems,I would never expose bare connections in dry or wet areas.
Old 11-10-2009, 11:51 PM
Skip Asay

"And as I've said, IN FRESH WATER"

Please READ WHAT I HAVE WRITTEN. I do not consider swimming pools as fresh water.

"I would check very carefully the condition of the wires that are exposed to the water by peeling back the insulation and revealing the corroded wire"

I've done just that which is why I say what I do.

Skip Asay
Old 11-11-2009, 12:19 AM
sunworksco

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Fresh Water:

The source of almost all freshwater is precipitation from the atmosphere, in the form of mist, rain and snow. A very small proportion is emitted from active volcanoes. Freshwater falling as mist, rain or snow contains materials dissolved from the atmosphere and material from the sea and land over which the rain bearing clouds have traveled. In industrialized areas rain is typically acid because of dissolved oxides of sulphur and nitrogen formed from burning of fossil fuels in cars, factories, trains and aircraft and from the atmospheric emissions of industry. In extreme cases this causes acid rain which can has caused severe pollution of lakes and rivers in parts of Scandinavia, Scotland, Wales and the United States.

In coastal areas freshwater may contain significant concentrations of salts derived from the sea if windy conditions have lifted drops of seawater into the rain-bearing clouds. This can give rise to elevated concentrations of sodium, chloride, magnesium ,mercury and sulfate as well as many other compounds in smaller concentrations.

In desert areas, or areas with impoverished or dusty soils, rain bearing winds can pick up sand and dust and this can be deposited elsewhere in precipitation and causing the freshwater flow to be measurably contaminated both by insoluble solids but also by the soluble components of those soils. Significant quantities of iron may be transported in this way including the well documented transfer of iron rich rainfall falling in Brazil derived from sand-storms in the Sahara in northern Africa. This effect can cause unwelcome contamination with dust from the Chernobyl disaster being spread across Europe in rain clouds.
Fresh water can be alot of things.

Old 11-11-2009, 06:13 AM
AQUASUB

Skip in your first reply you where not specific in the connections.

And you do as others run in swimming pools so you will get corrotion on any exposed wires hot or not.
Even brass gets a hit but stainless holds up the best.
On my subs and others I build for clients every single external connection is sealed by 2 methods sometimes 3 to insure that never moisture or water will enter the conductor.This takes more work but is well worth it in the long run.

Here in Floridathe Springs that I run in are so pure that radio waves will penetrate very deep and it is amazing how water quality affects the radio transmition.

Dave