Notices
RC Submarines RC submarine discussions.

Seaview Concept II

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2010, 10:30 AM
coast219

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Seaview Concept II

I wonder if this model would also have the same tendency to go bow down sharply at high speed or have the same turning problems as the original Seaview?
Old 02-08-2010, 12:51 PM
airwalk

To be honest about it I really don,t know at this point of the build coast 219. I have never had the orginal seaview in a pond. I have heard of problems of the old design in wanting to dive all the time.On the orginal design the front fins were not level or flat. It had a top curve to the top of the fin,this of course would make the boat wanting to be in the dive position all the time.On this concept II design,the fins are level and flat,from the front of the boat to the back, which should, I hope make the sub more stable and true in the water from looking at the front of the boat there is only a slight down curve to the outside of the front tips of the fins.This is just to give the boat a more shark like look.If it works and helps I really don,t know.Only a test run in the pond this summer will tell.As far as turning, I heard that the single pumpjet systems works great in the water.Today we are installing water intakes,for more flow to the jet.I have seen the moebious seaview videos of the sub in the water,and it looks like they perform quit well. Maybe be its brand of the diving system used?untell later, Dennis.
Old 02-08-2010, 11:03 PM
junglelord

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have you considered a bilge pump setup?
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_9483438/tm.htm

Old 02-09-2010, 03:37 PM
AQUASUB

Have you thaught of a vectored thrust jet drive like the one I use on the Octura and Javalin 7 mini subs,these units are very powerfull and effecient and super manueverable and look very nice on the model!  They come in several sizes I use the smallest.Any size and type of motor can be used ,the Javalin uses a bruchless 11.2 volt water cooled motor,alot of power in a very small space with preciese control can be fitted with reverseing cup.
Made by Graupner.
Old 02-09-2010, 03:44 PM
AQUASUB

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hdXQb856Vf0
Old 02-09-2010, 06:13 PM
junglelord

Two good ways to approach the drive unit of this beauty
Old 02-09-2010, 09:13 PM
airwalk

Your right, Junglelord two nice units to think about, thanks for the ideas guys!
Old 02-09-2010, 11:32 PM
AQUASUB

More than likely the tendency of the sub to dive will persist due to the bows negative tapper, it naturaly tends to dive the sub,that is the main reason it is not seen on full size subs there bows are semetricly round or with the older subs a positive tapper is used.

The Seaview was never very hydrodynamic ,it was made to look good back in the day.
I built a 7 footer and no matter what I did she never performed well as others.

Yours is looking alot better and modern great work!

Dave
Old 02-11-2010, 11:12 AM
SNOWTANK

Excellent ideas here for the propulsion. Well I don't think the seaview handles that bad if set up correctly for it's unique hull form. Watching Steve Niels Mobieus Seaview using the RCABS system it glided beautifully undewater with excellent control. Dave Merrimans handled very nicely too but didn't seem to turn or maneuver as quickly as Steve's. I think the Jet Nozzel thrust system seems to prople this type of hull form much better.
Old 02-11-2010, 02:37 PM
AQUASUB

Yes the Jet Drive for forward and reverse along with bowthruster would greatly inhance manuevers but still the faster it goes forward the negative raked bow will just pull the sub down like a diveplain stuch in the down position.So always slower speeds will reduce this tendency and is why it apears that the other Seavieiws manuever well ,but see them run at speeds other subs normaly run at flank they dont have that same problem,and is why it is not used on full scale subs.

Dave[8D]
Old 02-11-2010, 02:40 PM
AQUASUB

You will find that the JetDrive has excelent rudder stern authority as long as there is thrust and it will turn a large sub very  tightly.I bet there will be more full scale subs in the future that will use this "Squid Drive "thats my name for it !YA.

Dave
Old 02-11-2010, 10:25 PM
SNOWTANK

Great name.."SQUID DRIVE"
Old 02-12-2010, 12:50 PM
airwalk

A quick reply,to the private messages.Yes there will be a new design F.J.S flying jet sub,and mini sub,for the ConceptII.They are on the drawing boards now.
Old 02-12-2010, 03:30 PM
airwalk

What I really meant,was rough drawings for now.But should be a interesting challenge.
Old 02-13-2010, 12:35 PM
SNOWTANK

Excellent this so far has been fasinating. Keep it up!
Old 02-14-2010, 05:10 PM
airwalk

Got a little more done on the sub this afternoon.Snow is blowing outside,(no grass to mow to day) Anyway I installed the front torpedo tubes,today.I have to install the rear ones yet,along with the flying sub hatch,and other detail hatches.Here is a few pictures of the progress.Hope you enjoy them.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw66823.jpg
Views:	754
Size:	48.4 KB
ID:	1378860   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gb89583.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	49.1 KB
ID:	1378861   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qv56057.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	39.3 KB
ID:	1378862   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ng99944.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	52.6 KB
ID:	1378863  
Old 02-14-2010, 07:22 PM
junglelord

OMG!
Will I ever stop drooling>?
[8D]

Your work is incredible, your mind is bullet proof.
WOW!
Old 02-14-2010, 09:08 PM
Rogue Sub

Very impressive Dennis. I think you will sell a few of these. I know at least one to junglelord.. hes a seaview nut!
Old 02-14-2010, 11:05 PM
airwalk

Glad you guys like the build so far.Im the same as junglelord I always like the looks of the seaview, It what got me started in submarine models.
Old 02-15-2010, 10:11 AM
AQUASUB

I like the way your Seaview is coming out the stern is very different and simpler than the rest.
I would like to give you a sugestion if you are interested in much better handling characterestics of this sub.
Instead of rudders that are not very efective including dive and sail plains use instead a "vectored thrust drive" or a what it realy is a jet drive that turns in verticle as well as horizontal directions giving the sub unparraled manueverability just like Squid ! Vertualy no fins on a squid why not needed yet they are super fast and manueverable to get away fast.

It would not be to difficult to make from a Jetdrive the knozel just must be able to move in all directions,I am currently desighning and testing several ways to do this and will post pics,so far the Jet Sub Javalin has shown to be incredibly powerfull and will post its first run soon!!

Dave Amur Sub Yard
Old 02-15-2010, 10:13 AM
AQUASUB

By the way put 2 jetdrives on a sub that is wide and the thing will do barrel rols.
See the sub I ordered this one is very unique coming soon to apool near you,will post .
Old 02-15-2010, 02:39 PM
junglelord

ORIGINAL: airwalk

Glad you guys like the build so far.Im the same as junglelord I always like the looks of the seaview, It what got me started in submarine models.
A wonderful meeting of the minds.
I love the idea of a pumpjet drive.
I have one coming for my Moebius from Big Dave.

PS< you have a request from another forum, where I posted this link.
http://www.hobbytalk.com/bbs1/showthread.php?t=280981
Tony Hardy;3201771
FANTASTIC!!!! I LOVE it! Please tell him to start posting in this forum too. I'd be on board to purchase one of these kits if he makes them available.
Its up to you if you care to join as I am keeping it going anyway as well as excited members, who want your model in a movie!
Warped9;3216714
That is CRAZY and I love it! :thumbsup:

Now all we need is a good movie to feature it in.
Seaview blueprints, the originals.
http://www.hobbytalk.com/bbs1/showth...=143207&page=4
Old 02-15-2010, 04:23 PM
SNOWTANK

Wow excellent so far. I agree a Vectoral jet drive will manuever this sub very well. If it can make the STARSHIP ENTERPRISE or the YAMATO from Starblazers maneuver very well in a swimmiing pool than it will do wonders for this version of the Seaview.

I would love to see this version in a New Feature length Film. You should submit this concept to Hollywood and see what happens.
Old 02-15-2010, 06:27 PM
Captain Nemo12

Yup, I use vector drive when I convert small model ships to RC, don't need to fiddle with rudders and linkages, saves up space and works great!
Old 02-15-2010, 09:10 PM
airwalk

Hi Guys, I agree with you guys on the Vectoral jet system.Im begining to think this is the best way to go.If Aquasub can make a jet system that can turn the rear nozel,up and down,plus right and left that would be the way to go. On the pictures that I posted yesterday,there is the rear view of the sub.As you can see the rear of the pump jet is blank for now.This is because for molding it will be easier to pull a mold.Anyway I have a double jet nozel to fit in the rear of the pump jet.The Vectoral jet would work go with this idea,I would think. How big of a inlet do you have to make to feed this system? Thats the only thing I would not want to big of a hole cut in the bottom of the hull,if possible. Thanks for putting the rc universe on hobby talk for me Junglelord! I did have a password to hobbytalk last year.But for some reason I cant log in on there forum.Im going to try again soon so I can post a few new pictures there to. It would be great to have hollywood use this boat.if they ever did make a movie,Snowtank. Ill wait and see on how this sub looks after I mold it,and painted. I sold a starship Enterprise to a hollywood producer a few years back.The movie was suppose to come out but never did.It was for (Free Enterprise II) I did get paid for my model so that was the main thing.Untell later,Dennis.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.