Notices
RC Submarines RC submarine discussions.

Seaview Concept II

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2010, 01:17 PM
U812

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Seaview Concept II

Look. I just hate it when people change things! I grew up on this boat and the original series. I couldn't stand the new Star Trek. I'm a loyalist to the original series and movies. After all I worked with Gene Roddenberry more than once and the original crew. And what JJ what's his name did to the 1707 was a barf bag of a redesign.

Well it goes like this for me on your re-design! Ready? Here it goes. Sit down.

You did everything right with this refit and nothing wrong. It is the embodiment of the original boat and you capture it in every way. But you've brought it into present day.

At first I wanted to hate it. It's my nature when it comes to this sort of thing but I give this one up. It's just beautiful. Not to mention the clean workmanship. Stunning.

Steve Neill
Old 04-02-2010, 06:32 PM
airwalk

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

First I want to thank you very much on the nice words on the new concept II model.UB12. I means a lot to me when someone that has worked in the movie world say nice things about my work! I tried to stay with a little of the orginal design,but yet make a complete change. When I posted the first pictures,I was scared that I would offend the orginal viewers,because of the design change. That was the last thing that I wanted to do. Because I also was a loyal viewer of the orginal series. This was something that I always had in the back of my head,and wanted to express in a different art form. So far its been fun,and getting postive feedback,which makes it even better! Thanks again steve. Dennis.
Old 04-03-2010, 08:38 AM
SNOWTANK

Ditto on that. This is coming together the way I hoped it would but even better. Awesome work Airwalk.
Old 04-03-2010, 09:15 AM
airwalk

Its slowely getting it together, snowtank Glad your like it. I have been reading were a few people want just a display model. I can make both if that is what they are interested in.Of course the rc verson would have to have more work done to it here at the shop,with bulhheads, and reforcements added to the hull etc. To make a sturdy model for rc control.that was the first price that I had figured.If it would be for desplay I would not need all of the bulkheads and etc. The hull could be layed up lighter,and when gluded together it would be a sturdy model.I would save me on time and materials,and of course cost to the buyer.Don,t hold me to this but, I would say almost half of the cost of the rc verson model.The sail would be poured solid,instead of hollow for the rc verson. The tailfins would still be made the same as the rc verson so you could light them up . anyway the viewers can let me know on what they think of this idea.Its just a thought. DEnnis
Old 04-03-2010, 10:45 AM
junglelord

Hi Dennis
You must have been reading the material at the Hobbytalk forum, that information would make many people happy.
I pasted this post on the Hobbytalk forum.
Hope that helps. I also asked them to join here and let you know, how many are interested.
You certainly have a winner on your hands.

On a side note, something funny.

I do not know why it took me so long, but about two days ago I thought, is this Dennis Deboer?
Well, dispite emailing you and your wife a few months ago, about the original units, both the 60" and the 80"
I never realized that your that Dennis, till I asked Nuke Power...

So dispite saying hello to your wife on email and dispite, speaking to you here, I would like to say
HELLO! Now about the 80" original, I am working on those funds.

Cheers Dennis, your the best
Dean
Old 04-03-2010, 11:35 AM
airwalk

Hi Dean, Thanks for the help with the hobbytalk forum. Im the the Dennis you are talking about. I remember you a while back asking about the models,Its a small world.You can also email me if you have any questions anytime,I,ll try and answer them. I hope that I answered some of questions about the concept II display model to some of the viewers on the hobbytalk forum.Once again thanks.Dennis.
Old 04-03-2010, 02:06 PM
Carson Dyle

First time poster, longtime Seaview/ DeBoer Hulls fan.

Having recently stumbled upon the aforementioned HobbyTalk thread, I just wanted to reiterate to Dennis what others have already stated re: his very artful modern interpretation of the classic design.

In the interests of full disclosure I confess I'm more an admirer of RC than I am a practitioner. Nevertheless, I recognize the basis for a cool display model when I see one, and I hope you'll continue to keep us "kit assemblers" posted re: future developments in that department.

Cheers,

Rob McFarlane

Old 04-03-2010, 08:58 PM
airwalk

I,ll be sure to keep you guys posted on the progress of the build for the rc builders and the people that want to just build a display piece (Carson Dyle) I,ll post more pictures next week. Thanks for posting! Dennis
Old 04-04-2010, 11:56 AM
dadoja

Dennis-

I just want to say that you're doing a fantastic job with your reimagining of this venerable "gray lady" and would consider it an honor if you could put my name on the list that just wants a display piece.

Also, in some of your photos you have tiny figures standing on/in Seaview. Did you make those, or could they be bought from somewhere? I would love to add those to my display.

Thank you.

Dan Jaquemot

Old 04-04-2010, 04:20 PM
airwalk

Dan, I,ll put your name down on the list.Glad you like the boat. The figures are N scale model railroad figures,that you can buy at any hobby store.The figures ready add life to the model! Dennis.
Old 04-07-2010, 06:28 PM
GKvfx

Echoing Carson Dyle's feelings - I'm impressed. Not just with the craftsmanship, but with the design aesthetic. Consider me interested in parts for a static display. As luck would have it, Carson and I may be having dinner with Bill Creber later this week.... If you can get me some higher res photos - something showing the whole thing, I'd like to show it to him and get his reaction. (For those of you that are not design geeks, Bill was the Art Director on "Planet of the Apes", "Voyage", and a host of other Irwin Allen films. He spearheaded the design of the Flying Sub (and the refit of the Seaview to acommodate it) for the 2nd season.

Gene
Old 04-08-2010, 09:14 PM
airwalk

The only pictures that I have right now are the pictures on this talk forum.I don,t have any better pictures as yet GKUFX. If you want you are welcome to show these on the forum to Bill Creber. It would be interesting to see what he thinks about this new build.I,ll have better pictures later on,but that won,t be for a few weeks. Glad to hear that you like this new design.Thanks for the help!and keep in touch Dennis.
Old 04-08-2010, 09:52 PM
GKvfx

Well, I'll download those and show him. Frank Winspur from Moebius models is coming over as well, so it will make for an interesting retro-themed evening.

Gene
Old 04-09-2010, 07:32 AM
junglelord

Gene, your totally connected.
Tell them I said Hello from Canada.
Man I would love to shake both of their hands.

I hope Dennis knows, I think he is one of the Gods too and I would love to meet you in person.

Alas, I may never meet any of you in person, but your are all truly my friends.
Dean Ward
Old 04-09-2010, 05:18 PM
airwalk

I agree it would be great to meet all of you guys also.Maybe there will be a convention,that some day we can get together.I was thinging about Wonderfest this year,but I don,t know for sure if I,ll will make it.It would be great to meet other venders and artist.Here are two pictures of the gluded in bulkheads,that will be included in the rc verson of the model.The two front bulkheads serve as the supports for the nose interior floor. This should stiffen the lower hull to support the top hull piece. Not much to look at but this will give you a idea of the extra work that goes into the rc sub model .Untell later,Dennis.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki19480.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	76.4 KB
ID:	1414999   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bw72577.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	51.7 KB
ID:	1415000  
Old 04-09-2010, 06:56 PM
junglelord

I am watching Steve Neill put together your 57" version into RC for a client.
Makes me want an original that much more, if that was possible.

I like looking at the bulkheads.
But then I am a bulkhead...LOL>
Old 04-09-2010, 09:45 PM
junglelord

A nice picture of a Deboer 57" beside a Moebius 40"

Makes me want one real bad.
By the way, its radio control.
Both of them are.

Not mine, but a commission build by Steve Neill.
Old 04-10-2010, 06:15 PM
airwalk

Very beautifull built models that neil has built! I wish my work bench was that organized! Thanks for sharing the pictures with us junglelord. Dennis.
Old 04-12-2010, 07:08 AM
SNOWTANK

Gorgeous.
Old 04-12-2010, 01:36 PM
junglelord

Well I am hooked on getting the 57" one.
I sent you a email Dennis.
[8D]
Old 04-12-2010, 03:29 PM
junglelord

Here is a little video of Steve Neills RC Seaview original by Dennis Deboer.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WGbOIMowSi4

Hope you do not mind me putting it here Dennis.
Your the best.
[8D]
Old 04-13-2010, 01:07 PM
GKvfx

Happened to have dinner the other night with Bill Creber. While I was aware of his involvement on the "Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea"TVshow, I didn't realize he was involved in the 1961 feature. (He's primarily known for supervising the art dept on the design of the Flying sub and the refit of the Seaview to acommodate it.)

Creber is not generally a fan of fan built replicas, and when he talks about past shows, he tends to talk about the people that he worked with (and quite fondly, I might add). He doesn't seem overly sentimental about the final product (be it a miniature, set, or piece of artwork), but he does like remembering the situation and the crew he worked with/for. While he doesn't remember every detail or reasoning why things were designed the way they were, he's a fantastic link to an era of Hollywood - the end of the big studio and the rise of the independant producer, and I really like talking to him.

I was curious to see what his reaction would be to someone messing around with a design he was so close to. I was half expecting him the say "Why are you guys still playing around with that damn ship?"

But he liked it.

Really liked it.

In fact, he loved the sail in particular. I thought it had some really nice lines - along the lines of those luxury yachts we see in Monte Carlo. He agreed. It looks like something that would be designed by a private organization as opposed to a government agency that is only concerned with efficiency. He also said, and I thought this was great - that if there is a "Voyage" remake, they should just use Dennis' design.

So congrats Dennis - I think you nailed it.

Now stop reading this and go back to making it!

Gene
Old 04-13-2010, 01:35 PM
junglelord

Fantastic post and Dennis would deserve that position if we get a new movie.
His design is the only new design and we all LOVE it.

I am sorry to report that I and another client have Dennis tied up making 57" originals.
You will all have to wait an extra month....MUUUHHAAAA>

Just joking...
Carry on then.
Old 04-13-2010, 07:15 PM
U812

ORIGINAL: airwalk

First I want to thank you very much on the nice words on the new concept II model.UB12. I means a lot to me when someone that has worked in the movie world say nice things about my work! I tried to stay with a little of the orginal design,but yet make a complete change. When I posted the first pictures,I was scared that I would offend the orginal viewers,because of the design change. That was the last thing that I wanted to do. Because I also was a loyal viewer of the orginal series. This was something that I always had in the back of my head,and wanted to express in a different art form. So far its been fun,and getting postive feedback,which makes it even better! Thanks again steve. Dennis.

No problem you earned. just beautiful work. If you make a kit I hope one day to get one.

That picture Dean posted is the Debeor hull I'm building for a customer. It uses and OTW custom made WTC. It was built from zero in about 12 days. I still have to test it this week when the gel cell shows up.

Here's a little video and a better picture of of. Those flash pictures don't do it justice.

Dean thanks for posting too.

Again just and incredible design. It blow the pants off that horrible concept painting of the Seaview Fox is thinking of doing.

Steve

And here's some video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WGbOIMowSi4
Old 04-13-2010, 07:29 PM
junglelord

I wanted to say, I love the flashing strobe on the sail.

I also wanted to say that I will have mine paid by June 1.
I am going to make you all laugh, but I want to paint mine with chrome-illusion
prisim paint

Purple-Gold-Teal

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.