Notices
RC Submarines RC submarine discussions.

submarine dive planes: best configuration

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2010, 07:06 AM
LirEdinSun

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default submarine dive planes: best configuration

I building a type VIIC Boat and it has 2 sets of dive planes bow and stern. but I want to control it by 1 servo.

I just looking at the ways I can configure the linkages. I have a choice of 4, bear in mind the maximum travel for a hydro plane is 54 degree +/- 27 degrees

and I want to have 'spectacular' diving and surfacing as seem in Das Boot film. which mean that the nose/bow has to take thelead.
choices are:
1) bow and sterndive planes proportionally linkage and equal (I'm guessing this will not give me a nose first dive or resurface I want)
2) bow planes have full +/- 27 degrees, stern planes have +/- 15 degrees. (meaning the nose will always have a slight lead)
3) both dive planes have +/- 27 degrees but the operationsare reversed. e.g. to dive: bow planes +10 degrees, stern planes -10 degrees
4) same as 2) but reversed operation

I'm favouring 4) but this is my first scratch build and I got no experience
Old 06-13-2010, 05:48 PM
Skip Asay

Default RE: submarine dive planes: best configuration

"but I want to control it by 1 servo."

I have to ask.....why? Submerged operations are substantially better/easier with one servo for each pair.

"1) bow and stern dive planes proportionally linkage and equal (I'm guessing this will not give me a nose first dive or resurface I want)"

If both will move in the same direction, not the way to go.

"2) bow planes have full +/- 27 degrees, stern planes have +/- 15 degrees. (meaning the nose will always have a slight lead)"

Again, if both will move in the same direction, not the way to go.

"3) both dive planes have +/- 27 degrees but the operations are reversed. e.g. to dive: bow planes +10 degrees, stern planes -10 degrees"

If you must use only 1 servo AND if you mean that to dive the bow planes are down and the stern planes are up, this is the way.

Bear in mind that the stern planes have much more effect on the angle of a submarine than the bow planes. In other words, you can still get a substantial angle on the boat using just the stern planes much more than just the bow planes.

Skip Asay
Old 06-17-2010, 05:56 PM
fgroza
My Feedback: (2)

On my subs, i use the bow planes to control the boat manually and have the rear dive planes controlled by the APC. Some boats use the rear dive planes only Permit class nuke and have it connected to a APC which can be manipulated by stick inputs. Otherwords when you move the stick for the diveplanes, you overide the automatic function. When you let go of the stick, the auto function returns. Thank you Skip for this invention and to the others out there that manufacture/sell such items.
Frank
Old 06-17-2010, 09:48 PM
Captain Nemo12

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Would a helicopter head hold gyro mounted vertically achieve the same effect?
Old 06-18-2010, 12:05 AM
Skip Asay

"Would a helicopter head hold gyro mounted vertically achieve the same effect?"

Since an aircraft "gyro" is a rate sensing device, I doubt it. As far as "heading hold" is concerned, I've never had any experience with these so I can't honestly say. My gut tells me no, however.

But, why even bother? There are a number of automatic levelers on the market and these were all designed specifically to keep your boat level. Why modify something else to do the job?

Skip Asay