Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Lets hear about your Thunder Tiger Neptune SB-1.

Those videos where awesome. The water looked great and you had a rescue team on hand if anything went wrong. It did not seem like there was much current in the spring. Most springs I've been to had a good flow. You sure have an abundance of places to run living where you do. There should be some good places around Dover too. Have fun with it Remote. Maybe I can talk the wife into getting me one for my birthday. Dennis

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

That would be nice, my wife the fleet Admiral gave me mine on fathers day 2 years ago.
    Yes the water is very calm and perfect for any sub.There are several places even the Rainbow river ,cristal clear and not too much current,but for the ultimate place in any weather is the Devils Den.
    Dave
    http://s82.photobucket.com/albums/j2...ent=Movie5.flv

The blue in Blue Springs is to die for its just out of this world drop dead gorgeuse!

One can drive the sub from a high deck and cruise around with a complete birds eye view ,fantastic!
    http://s82.photobucket.com/albums/j2...urrent=006.flv

http://s82.photobucket.com/albums/j2...urrent=BL6.flv

http://s82.photobucket.com/albums/j2...rent=bl2mv.flv

http://s82.photobucket.com/albums/j2...urrent=BL6.flv

Dave
    Great minds discuss ideas;average minds discuss events;small minds discuss people.

President Roosevelt

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Great minds discuss ideas;average minds discuss events;small minds discuss people.

President Roosevelt

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

The next step in the development of this great sub of mine is to add the on screen telemitry system here is what it can do it will blow your hatches open!!! sort of speak.

The system can read depth with the altimiter sensor ,its very acurate down to the mm converted from feet which is perfect ,later another conventional sensor can be made ,but for now this is good enough for me.the range of reseptio is quite good,but be sure to get the 900mgrz unit ,i use the low power one ,I would like to try the high power one some day but still the first one works just fine.

The peramiters of this system are truly awsome! I mean there is a multitude of usefull information that can be displayed iether on screen or on the dash bourd or live also on your laptop!Man its great and I very surprised that it has not takken off more here in the US ,I know some are useing it Erope .

For monitoring Lip[os its a must or any submarines vitals its great!

And easy to use and affordable!

Dave
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Db83921.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	68.8 KB 
ID:	1456906   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Vq52626.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	272.1 KB 
ID:	1456907   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Hm23204.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	184.6 KB 
ID:	1456908   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ga76577.gif 
Views:	17 
Size:	272.2 KB 
ID:	1456909   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Dp83838.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	86.6 KB 
ID:	1456910  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Wm84296.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	52.3 KB 
ID:	1456911   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ya56402.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	163.5 KB 
ID:	1456912   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sr60734.gif 
Views:	10 
Size:	102.0 KB 
ID:	1456913   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Lj83893.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	33.6 KB 
ID:	1456914  

President Roosevelt

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Whats nice about the SB-2.0 is that a rescue team is not necessary as it has very good fail safe systems,only if it got stuck in a cave or weeds would a dive be needed ,I go in any way for the water is 72 dg year round.So far never had to go get her..

Dave

President Roosevelt

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

This is the front plate mods ,the top hatch or port is a cannon plug thats been hollowed out then glued in place and the bayonet ring cap of stainless steel and rubber seal make a quick and easy way to change out the fuse or vent the casing or other future options.

The bottom cannon plug uses 5 wires and is completly water tight.One twist and there off or on.Military speck is the best!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Zx72260.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	112.8 KB 
ID:	1457172   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Oj26349.jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	116.2 KB 
ID:	1457173   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Io28733.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	112.1 KB 
ID:	1457174   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Au56323.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	15.7 KB 
ID:	1457175   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sd45289.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	113.2 KB 
ID:	1457176  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ul80136.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	117.8 KB 
ID:	1457177   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Su37148.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	111.6 KB 
ID:	1457178   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ut66209.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	123.5 KB 
ID:	1457179   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Db56329.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	117.6 KB 
ID:	1457180  

President Roosevelt

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thudertiger4u.com has probably the best price and is where mine came from,great service!

https://www.thundertiger4u.com/store...?idproduct=969

President Roosevelt

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

What prop works best with this sub? I was just about to order the 6 bladed prop, but thought I'd check with you guys first.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

The 6 blade would be best ,unless you went with a 2.5 in one,this sub should have at least a 2.5 or larger prop and kort knozzle.Motor geared as well.

Dave

President Roosevelt

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Does anybody know where one can pick up the optional prop for the SB-1?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

The shaft is a 4mm thread so just order the right diamiter and blades to fit,or order from ACE Hobbies in California the main distributor.

Dave  

President Roosevelt

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thank you for your contribution, I greatly appreciate it. I just ordered one of these SB-1 from Tower. They indicate that it will be available in early August. I won't get my hopes up with that, but I am sure that I will recieve it in time.

I was wondering why you chose the colors that you did for your subs? Does color affect the fish? Like the original bright yellow not being natural for where your diving?

What is the range of operation that you have achieved from your mods? I.E. Radio range, and video range ?

Again, Thanks
    Rick Skydrol

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Skydrol,
    There is one at the LHS here in Brandon if you want one now. (45 mins from you.) $479.00. The controller had a broken switch. They have another controller on the way. The shop told me it should be in at the end of this week. I got mine from Tower about 2 weeks ago for $509.00 shipped. It was the last one.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thanks Remote,

Would you have a name of that shop?
    Rick Skydrol

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Rick,
    Sent you a Pm with number and directions to the shop. (Let me know if you got it. Not sure if it went.) PM me back if you have any questions....

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I was wondering why you chose the colors that you did for your subs? Does color affect the fish? Like the original bright yellow not being natural for where your diving?

What is the range of operation that you have achieved from your mods? I.E. Radio range, and video range ?

Read more: http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_9813084/mpage_2/tm.htm#ixzz0uoIkTPua

Hi I just like to change the color from the drab yellow and also one gets alot of those jokes about the yellow submarine!
    Also I find that fish are atracted to the silver and stripe color alot I have had large catfish follow my sub for several minutes even getting very close to sort of sniff it! Alot of fun to shase them as well!

Thats a great price on that one with the switch out !

President Roosevelt

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

My range was increased quite a bit by relocating the antena more forward and spreading its loops out more,this radio is a very good radio in the water its power is even beter than a much more expensive radio!

President Roosevelt

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

My range was increased quite a bit by relocating the antena more forward and spreading its loops out more,this radio is a very good radio in the water its power is even beter than a much more expensive radio!

President Roosevelt

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thanks Aquasub,

How well can you pivot? Do you have enough rudder? And do you ever have any problem with weeds getting caught in your prop? is the prop shroud sufficient? It would be my luck that I would encounter weeds being in these Florida lakes.
    The springs seem like a much better place to be, although they seem crowded this time of year cause of the heat.

When you refer to a buoy for your video. How is that done, how do you do it? Could you use a floaty line line fly fishing line? And or do you acualy use a float? How long? 25' ?

Thanks again

Rick Skydrol

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Well I saw some of your later videos, and yeah I would say that thing swims like a fish. Heh.
    Rick Skydrol

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Yes the next mod  would be to increase the size of the verticle non moving rudder so that the sub is more stable ,it has a tendacy to over steer and yes it does turn very sharply which is a must in tight quarters or in any condition is a big plus,before the mod to the stern rudder it did not have a very good turning radiuse so I installed the larger prop ,kort knozel that is part of the turning rudder that way thrust is instanly directed in the desired direction,so much that an over steer occors but that can be compensatyed by the larger verticle stabalizer,taylored to complement each others advantages and also looks alot beter,this sub looks too much like a iron bomb and i had to change that look.,more sub like at the same time increasing the manueverability caracteristics.
    The springs here are to die for with rc subs and is the only way i run this sub and yes the springs get crowded but if you go down river there are plenty of places where no one goes and there its pure heven ,deep cristal water,dive babby dive!
    At the present time I use an onboard DVR camarra like the one shown ,its ok video but later will make much better videos with a better unit.
    The bouy system was OK but I am currently working on a totaly wireless system so far so good but the range is not so good,must bust the signal!More dineros.
    Say anyone interested in a Robbe u-32 nice! pm me
    Dave

President Roosevelt

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thanks again aquasub,

I have a few questions. What material did you use for your nozzle? Also the rudder?

I had a question about your cooling system. Would it be alright to exclude the heat exchanger and pump the ambient water through the coil surounding the motor, and then just eject the heated water overboard?
    The whole motor/heat exchanging coil could be shrouded for the possibility of a leak in the cooling coil.

You have not addressed this point, but I have heard of some sb-1 owners having a problem with the 10 amp fuse blowing (reportedly over current draw from multiple systems working at once). Could it be possible to have an auxilary battery to operate the ballast pump in case of main battery power loss?
    The fail safe system seems great except in the event of complete power loss.

Rick Skydrol

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Aquasub sir, What I meant about your nozzle material, is that pvc pipe? whats the diameter?

I am totaly new to subs.

Thanks again to all of you
    Rick Skydrol

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

"Would it be alright to exclude the heat exchanger and pump the ambient water through the coil surounding the motor, and then just eject the heated water overboard?"

I've said it before. I'll say it again. If water cooling a sub's motor is necessary, you're doing something wrong. Water cooling will help cure the symptom but not the problem. Think about it. The designer/manufacturer has put together a pretty nice package but you've (speaking generally here) decided to put a larger prop on it. Guess what? Larger prop means working the motor harder which draws more current which causes more heat. A much better solution is to use or increase the reduction ratio between the motor and prop.

I just recently replaced a Dumas motor with a little 385 size motor in my 56" Type XXIII and, if anything, the boat now goes faster! And it only draws ONE AMP at full speed. Oh yeah. And there's NO HEAT from the motor.

I'll venture a guess that this is what's causing those 10 amp fuses to blow.

Skip Asay

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Well Skip without actualy owneing one of these great subs you are as usual venturing.

Yes one could do an "open system" ,that is no heat exchanger but then there are several drawbacks to it,one being that forighne material will enter the system and clog or damage the pump ,secound corotion will increase as no antifreez is used as is in the "sealed system",pump life and any danger from external water intrution is minimizeda as only the coolant in the sealed system gets into the casing.This has never actualy happened in all of the 16 plus subs I have built over the years,it works very well.

No Skip again you don;t see the point ,its not a mater of haveing to cool the thing its just a beter way or a good insurance to do so,keep the little bugger happy and cool,it keeps the air inside of the casing cool so that it won't expand ,it also increases the efeciency of the motor quite a bit as I myself found out in several experiments.My motors are are just as common as yours ,simple can 12 volt units ,but I gear them down to as you even said with yours ,to 3.5  or 2.5 to one depending on the prop and how fast I want her go.

Sure the makers of this sub and many others would rather make them without cooling ,its an added expense for them,yet most of the surface high speed boats have it standard every time ,of course we are not talking about speed boats here but yes we are talking about motors,no mater how small or large the motor is if its even turning nothing connected to it it will get warm and to make things worse have the poor thing sealed up in a air tight container pushing its little hart out as we demand more of it,man thats torcher if you ask me,no wonder I can't remember the last time I changed a motor or an ESC .So please think about it its prity much so a no brainer the wy that I have cooled my motors is super inexpensive,simple to make and lasts a long time.Also remember that why would marine engineers and manufacturers of boat engines go threw all that expense just to keep the engine cool why? Its makes them last longer by far.

Of course you may build a sub without cooling there is nothing wrong with that but just remember that alot of the batery power yor toting around is going to be lost in heat build up caused by a motor that is warm or getting hot,the hotter it gets the worse the loss of effeciency ,look it up its all there.

So to get to the point if one wants a pool toy don't bother with the cooling,but if one wants a RC Sub that is seriuse and reliable and can be pushed to 120% percent reactor temp without a meltdown than watercool that  puppy just like the big boys do!

The diamiter of the kort knozzle is 2.5 inches I belive and was made from PVC pipe the rudder is atached to it from the kit with no extentions the knozzle pivots at the original points of the old rudder.The prop is a plastic 3 bladded 4 mm thread unit that has a modreate pitch,spun down to fit well when the kurt knozzle rotates so that it won't collide with the knozzle.

Dave SB-2.0

President Roosevelt

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast