Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

Tamiya Leopard 2 A6 kit. Why so expensive?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Tamiya Leopard 2 A6 kit. Why so expensive?

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2010, 09:31 AM
Despotes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tamiya Leopard 2 A6 kit. Why so expensive?

Looks like a great tank, but why is it soooo expensive? $500 or $600 seems reasonable, but not over $900 for something you have to put together and paint yourself.

Somebody please explain why it costs so much for a 1:16 tank kit.

Thanks
Old 09-19-2010, 10:04 AM
Panther G

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Tamiya Leopard 2 A6 kit. Why so expensive?

Part of the reason Is because you have to put it together your self. there are twice the parts in the LEO kit as in all the others. the entire gear box assemblies must be hand built along with many other components. It's not like just throwing a Revell model together and plugging it in.
 The electronics on this model are also very detailed and require alot of set up after installation. 
  The LEO is THE TOP OF THE LINE RC TANK MODEL.  You can buy others that are all metal that cost twice as much and that does not include electronics.
 Considering the price for some of the 1:8 scale buggies and other RC vehicles the LEO actually is priced very well. It is just high end for this end of the hobby.
Old 09-19-2010, 12:26 PM
Despotes

You'd think it would be cheaper because you have to assemble it yourself.

What tools will I need if I decided to buy this? Just exacto knife, glue and airbrush kit/paint?

Are there any metal upgrades? Bearings, gears ect?
Old 09-19-2010, 07:51 PM
Panther G

Why would you think it would be cheaper. That goes against the point of a Tamiya KIT. Your supposed too build it your self. It is however not a kit for a first timer or novice. there is some very detailed building going on with this kit. If you really want a Tamiya then i would suggest one of the other less complicated ones. The Tiger and the Panther are very good kits. The Pershing is an excellent kit but is quite detailed like the LEO. Not as difficult but does have some challenges. You may want to try an HL brand tank first to see if you really have an interest in RC tanking. All of them the less expensive ones and the high grade kits take a commitment. They all need service and care to keep them running and performing at their best.
Old 09-19-2010, 09:16 PM
yellowshaker
My Feedback: (1)

If you have never experienced a Tamiya tank the question is quite valid. They are incredible models that have great electronics systems in them. They are all very good representations of the real tank, right down to digitally recorded sounds for engines, guns, turret rotation, even tracks squeaking. The Leo is a step above, being a modern tank, it shows in every way to be superior to the other ww2 era tanks. It's fast, it's powerful, and it is amazing to drive. Is it worth the money? That depends on the person. For me it would be worth buying. I enjoy building these things and modifying them to some degree. The great thing about tamiya tanks is that most of them need nothing upgrade to be durable. Some do need a few aftermarket goodies to make them more durable, but even then, they are pricd fairly and they will last forever if cared for properly.
For a first tank, I too would recommend one of Tamiya's other tanks. A Tiger 1, Sherman, Kv1, Pershing, they are all great runners and need only be assembled and driven. However, if you feel the urge to upgrade, here is a taste of some of the parts offered for these tanks.
http://www.etoarmour.com/products.php?ViewCategory=7
Old 09-20-2010, 08:01 AM
heavyaslead

Received 36 Likes on 25 Posts

Why so expensive? It is simply the best Tam Rc tank.

To look at another way, the Leo needs no upgrades to run well. The other Tam tanks need some level of upgrade to run well. The upgrades can make the other tanks end cost equal to or greater than the Leo.
\
\
Old 09-20-2010, 08:59 AM
Wozwasnt

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: Despotes

You'd think it would be cheaper because you have to assemble it yourself.

What tools will I need if I decided to buy this? Just exacto knife, glue and airbrush kit/paint?

Are there any metal upgrades? Bearings, gears ect?

If you don't know what tools you'll need then maybe you should start with something cheaper. The Leo is the top of the range when it comes to 1/16 RC tanks and is also one of the most complicated.
Old 09-20-2010, 12:53 PM
sevoblast

Received 54 Likes on 40 Posts

Since you already own a Bulldog, you know one end of the hobby. Getting the Leo is like going from a 20 year old Lada to a new Benz. There is that much difference. As for the cost, look carefully at the plastic castings and parts sprues. Then think how much work goes in to the design and fabrication of the dies for those parts. Now look at the electronics and motive systems, plus the lower hull and suspension. Designing such items is not easy, and not cheap.
I would recommend that, if you have any reticence about building a kit, do not start with the Leo. Cut your teeth on the Tamiya Sherman. It's the easiest and cheapest tank Tamiya makes. Quality is not scrimped on, it's just a smaller tank. That will give you an idea of how Tamiya does things.
All Tamiya's instructions are very well thought out and easy to follow. And of course building any Tam tank, if you have questions do come on forum and ask. Most of us old timers have built all the Tamiya tanks.
You can also be innovative, see photos of my German Sherman attached. He's a captured Sov piece, not totally correct, but the idea is there. My tanks are fighters, IR battles. Notice the T34 scrap used to up armor the sides, the combination of German and Sov tool suites, and the layout of the interior.
The King is also an easy build, but requires a tad of tweaking to make a real fighter of him. He's long. Attached is photos of him. Both tanks are multiple vets of the Danville fights, but both have been totally overhauled since I move off the Florida coast.
Panther is also an excellent starter, simple build and a real runner OTB. Again, you an get different, as there were many variants, and a few were captured by the Sovs and used, hence the red stars on VCO's winter Panther.
Any way you look at it, if you want to come to the dark side and join the Tamiya crew, there is plenty of lads here to help and advise you.
After you have cut your teeth on the Sherm and/or King, then done your Leo, you are then ready to move up to the Jagdtiger. See photo.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca82500.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	113.4 KB
ID:	1504118   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jd87692.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	83.9 KB
ID:	1504119   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj23571.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	136.7 KB
ID:	1504120   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ib82476.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	60.1 KB
ID:	1504121   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cz79815.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	74.9 KB
ID:	1504122   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge96305.jpg
Size:	74.7 KB
ID:	1504123   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ng99652.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	67.7 KB
ID:	1504124   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qo41358.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	63.6 KB
ID:	1504125  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Zs50840.jpg
Size:	72.9 KB
ID:	1504126  
Old 09-20-2010, 01:34 PM
edoubleaz

Received 65 Likes on 43 Posts

As a fellow Maniac (Family lives in the Damariscotta-Boothbay Harbor region) Iwould like to help answer you questions dimplomatically.

I have to answer your question with a question though...

Are you a modeler or a RC guy?

The Tamiya Leopard is a KIT and as such is assembled by the user. Tamiya has engineered the best combination of ACCURATE model and HI-TECH RCvehicle they could and the finished product is amazing.

The Kit was co-produced with KWS (Actual Leopard Manufacturer) to replicate all the sounds, functions, and scale speed of the Leo 2A6 and as you might have seen in a few recent build threads, quite complex. Tamiya's equipment is over-priced, but the value of every tank is in its duablility, reliability, and functionality. Ihave ten tanks (in various states of completion) and am eyeing the Leopard myself. If you have modeling questions, just ask.

www.desertarmor.com

Old 09-20-2010, 05:06 PM
Panther G

Tamiya equipment is FAR from over priced. Look at the other high end Electronic makers El-mod and Bennedinni. Look at WECOHE. Tamiya is only over priced to the ones who just refuse to admit they want a Tamiya. If you really want one you can find a way to buy one. Be it from a seller of a used one on E-bay or one of the discount sellers. The electronics are top notch for purpose they where built to perform. No other company in the RC tank market has the reputation and reliability of Tamiya.
Old 09-21-2010, 07:23 PM
Despotes

I'm an RC guy that used to be a modeler. Ifeel confident in assembling the tank, but painting is an area of weakness.

The Leopard might have to be delayed a few months since I have to buy an ACOG.

Who sells the Leopard kit at the best price?

Thanks for all the replies.

ORIGINAL: edoubleaz

As a fellow Maniac (Family lives in the Damariscotta-Boothbay Harbor region) Iwould like to help answer you questions dimplomatically.

I have to answer your question with a question though...

Are you a modeler or a RC guy?

The Tamiya Leopard is a KIT and as such is assembled by the user. Tamiya has engineered the best combination of ACCURATE model and HI-TECH RCvehicle they could and the finished product is amazing.

The Kit was co-produced with KWS (Actual Leopard Manufacturer) to replicate all the sounds, functions, and scale speed of the Leo 2A6 and as you might have seen in a few recent build threads, quite complex. Tamiya's equipment is over-priced, but the value of every tank is in its duablility, reliability, and functionality. Ihave ten tanks (in various states of completion) and am eyeing the Leopard myself. If you have modeling questions, just ask.

www.desertarmor.com

Old 09-21-2010, 07:49 PM
yellowshaker

I would say Karen at aaftankmuseum.com or, as some guys here have said, Daves4what, which I do not have a link to. They are under a grand.
Old 09-22-2010, 07:07 AM
Despotes

I can't find any info for Daves4what. Google came up empty and Daves4what.com doesn't exist.

ORIGINAL: yellowshaker

I would say Karen at aaftankmuseum.com or, as some guys here have said, Daves4what, which I do not have a link to. They are under a grand.
Old 09-22-2010, 08:33 AM
karel47

Dave4what is on vacation, he soon reopens his ebayshop at the moment nothing is into
Old 09-22-2010, 09:07 AM
BiggTony

The Tammy leopard might be expensive, but it is a bad A$s machine!

My favorite feature in this tank is probably something considered next to insignificant to justify the cost of the tank....but it's the automatic barrel elevation! I love how it auto-corrects the position of the barrel for clearance of the rear deck, then auto-lowers itself back down after you've completed the turret rotation. The second best feature is....the speed. Closest you can get to driving an RC car as a tank
Old 09-22-2010, 09:09 AM
Despotes

I found his listings on Ebay. The KingTiger has potential and is less expensive.

RCCommand has a Custom Jagdpanther too, but is only $100 cheaper than the Tamiya KingTiger.  Decisions.
Old 09-22-2010, 10:17 AM
sevoblast

Received 54 Likes on 40 Posts

And the one from rccommand is not a Tamiya, it's Heng Long I would aver. Apples to oranges.
Old 09-22-2010, 12:10 PM
Despotes

That's why I said it's only $100 cheaper. The Tamiya at + $100 might still be a better deal, but I guess that depends on the quality of the Jagdpanther  upgrades and it's already painted and built.

Here are the upgrades:
    [*]metal lower[*]torsion bar suspension[*]adjustable track tensioners[*]all wheels with custom bushings[*]metal suspension arms[*]3:1 reduction metal gearboxes[*]custom lateral barrel movement[*]custom gearbox dust cover[*]new Tamiya compatible RCC Battle System with custom sounds[*]all electronics housed in upper hull[*]all switches (on/off, sound and smoke unit on/off) relocated to rear hatch[*]custom smoke unit[*]early or late version exhaust system[*]modified recoil[*]high tension flash unit[*]modified RX18 board[*]metal tracks[*]metal drive wheels[*]metal idler wheels[*]photo-etched brass grilles[*]custom paint[/list]        Tamiya King Tiger still have better components?
Old 09-22-2010, 12:15 PM
Despotes

Forgot to mention I have a Spektrum DX6i. Are the Tamiya's more compatible with Spektrum receivers?
Old 09-22-2010, 12:16 PM
BiggTony

Yeah, the option in the Jagd you just listed makes it a worthy prospect to own until you get to the RX18. This is where there is no contest.....zero. RX18 and Tamiya electronics are in deep contrast to each other. I'd say the only advantage to the RX18 to the Tam electronics is that it does function and it's cheap to replace.
But, for that price and adding Tamiya electronics afterwards with a hobby radio...you'd end up with a little more than going with the Tamiya Jagdpanther because you got a battle system with the HL version and some othernegligibleadditions.
Old 09-22-2010, 02:08 PM
Despotes

Ok. It's now between the Tamiya King Tiger and Leopard.
Does the KT require additional upgrades for long/durable running?
Is the KT A LOT easier to put together than the Leo?
Help me decide.
Again, what tools are recommended for both assemblies?
Old 09-22-2010, 02:12 PM
bowlman

Received 85 Likes on 69 Posts

One other reason it cost more is if you want to make a model of a modern tank you have to get permission to copy it and its not free so the cost is rolled into the price .

Jimmy
Old 09-22-2010, 03:14 PM
Panther G

The one from RCCommand uses all tamiya parts, The entire hull assembly is all Tamiya. The turret functions are all Tamiya. The only thing that is not ibelieve are the electronics. That is what was driving the price of Bill's custom. I do notbelievehe will even be doing anymore customsso what he has now as far as they go is it. At the moment I don't know of anyone building more for him. It was at times more trouble than it was worth.
Old 09-22-2010, 03:45 PM
BiggTony

ORIGINAL: Despotes

Ok. It's now between the Tamiya King Tiger and Leopard.
Does the KT require additional upgrades for long/durable running?
Is the KT A LOT easier to put together than the Leo?
Help me decide.
Again, what tools are recommended for both assemblies?
To partially answer your questions,

Yes you can use a Dx6i. I too, own the DX6i and once used it for my Pershing, but now use it for my Leopard.

I haven't built my KT yet and I question whether I will. I bought that because I want to add it to my collection, not because I like the King Tiger. The more I look at it in the box.....the more I realize I shouldn't buy tanks simply to collect them, cause I don't find the KT appealing...but that's just me. So....that may be the first tank I get rid of and it's likely that it will be as is......which is unbuilt. The only thing that needs or should be upgraded on this tank is the track adjusters and possibly moving to metal tracks. This is what is commonly recommended but there are the few who say it's fine as it is.
Looking at the manual.....cake. Looking at the parts...basic..cake. Modifying to represent an actual KT in a historical unit.....work, big time. I bought Schumo track adjusters, flanged bearings, and DT transmission brace, and a metal barrel elevation arm.

The Leopard....man, the Leopard will test your patience. Everything is doable and extremely durable....but the build, yeah. It's really frustrating if you want to be done with it so you can drive it around, cause it's not a fast build and very detailed.

This kit required no aftermarket upgrades, but I bought metal swing arms and bearings for it.

As for building any of the Tamiya kits, you'll need the basic stuff required of any modeling. Cement glue, super glue, solvent cement, hobby knife, sprue cutters (hobby dikes but flush cutters are best) and a phillips head screw driver.

That's about it, to complete a build.

Old 09-22-2010, 04:09 PM
Panther G

Well, i bought an HL Pantiger. Then I bought a Tamiya Panther G. I didn't waste much time in finding out the differences in   well everything. I had never built any type of RC vehicle. I never even driven one accept the pathetic Pantiger. So, get some tools, pick a model and get too work. It aint rocket science. What it does look too me with your choices is your just looking for the "biggest "model, not that you have any one great desire for either. The KT's are actually lousy in battle fighters. Too big, Too slow. If you want a nice tank and a good fighter get a Pershing or a Panther. Top 2 for all around ability. pershing is a little more involved build, but that is a big part of the fun. If your not into the build just go buy an HL or get a kit and have someone build it for you. there aint no shame in it. A lot of people just aren't into the building. some are just not physically able too. doesn't make any difference too any of us. It's like motorcycles. It aint what you ride it's if you ride.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.