Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Thread: Servo recoil

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Servo recoil

Guys, I am trying to understand how they make a servo work for recoil. I am under the impression that a servo will run left or right from the controller but once you let off it stops. How does it recoil and return to battery in one motion?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Servo recoil

Here you go Joe,

Check out the video.

http://home.comcast.net/~chioc/rctan...b_2010_002.htm

Don
    D Clayton Meadows
    Author of OF ICE AND STEEL, EPITAPH, TIGER!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thanks Chief. I thought there was a way to wire them up, didn't know you need a seperate oard. I sent him an email.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Uh Joe, i told you about this before, you dont need a separate board just a 2 channel camera servo center which i have if you need it. Bob told us how to do this last year.
    Tamiya Panther G, HL/Tamiya TigerI, WSN/HL T-34/85, WSN/Tamiya T-34/85, WSN/HL DBCRC2 T-34/85, HL/Tamiya Pershing, Mato/Tamiya Sherman,HL KV-1, HL Pz III, HL/Custom scratch JP, HE/Tamiya Abrams, HE/Tamiya LEO 2A5, Vs Abrams M1A1, Vs T-72, HL Bergepanthe

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

And that board only works with Nicks Battle circuit. It is designed to work with in all the other components he has. I'm pretty sure its not just a plug and play between the MF unit and the servo.
    Tamiya Panther G, HL/Tamiya TigerI, WSN/HL T-34/85, WSN/Tamiya T-34/85, WSN/HL DBCRC2 T-34/85, HL/Tamiya Pershing, Mato/Tamiya Sherman,HL KV-1, HL Pz III, HL/Custom scratch JP, HE/Tamiya Abrams, HE/Tamiya LEO 2A5, Vs Abrams M1A1, Vs T-72, HL Bergepanthe

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

the site say it can work with out the battle unit pcb .

Recoil Board
    Use to simulate recoil of a cannon. Connect between a servo and the battle circuit. When the battle circuit fires a servo will recreate the action of a gun recoil. Contains a separate regulator for the servo.
    This can also be used alone. There are three connections, power, ground and trigger. When the trigger wire is pulsed high the servo will activate.

Jimmy

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Yes that may be correct. you would probably use the three wire tap in the MF unit for the regular recoil mech on a Tamiya unit. Just need to figure out the proper pinout for the three wires. Do you need to gut the servo and use it without the PCB board inside?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

For the servo to work like a recoil unit you have to have a board that will feed the trigger pulse and the return pulse with out it the servo would just move ether forward or back when you move the stick forward or back .
    No you would leave the guts of the servo there that way it will return to center .

Jimmy

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I used one in my Tamiya Sherman with a Pershing MF unit. I'll dig it out to check on the hookup and take a quick video of the recoil. If I recall I tapped the trigger off the normal recoil signal on the MF unit. The other connections can go straight to the battery as there's a regulator on board. No modifications necessary on the servo, you adjust the position and the board drives it to and fro...

Large current draw from a servo may overheat the regulator, email me for alternate hookup if you're drawing more than 1 amp.
    Nick C.
    www.rctankhobby.com

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hi Nick
    Jim Miller here just got a email from you today .
    Cool on how you only need the trigger lead from the Tamiya DMD unit .
    Im converting a Bandi Hummel to a Nashorn and am going to add recoil .

Jimmy

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

OK, here's a quick video, sorry for the bad quality but you can get an idea. The travel can be expanded by increasing the servo arm, or use a larger servo. I have a HS55 in this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JNa5IZfm7Cw

Nick C.
    www.rctankhobby.com

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Nick that looked easy thanks .

Jimmy

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thanks, electrical hookup is easy.

The mechanical part is a bit involved, but keep the barrel slide straight and smooth with minimal resistance and it should work great!
    Nick C.
    www.rctankhobby.com

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

can you be a bit more clear on the wiring hook up? which wire on your adapter board to which pin on the MFU?

Appreciate it! thanks
    Ken
    KT,T1, JPIV, Pnthr F, Stug III, JPntr, T34-85, SU85, SU76i, SU100, KV1, KV85, JT, JP-2, Elefant,T55, SU152, IS-2

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Ken i watched the youtube video and when you pause it when it shows the MF Unit it plugs in to center pin out then the last two go to battery .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JNa5IZfm7Cw

http://home.comcast.net/~chioc/rctan...b_2010_002.htm

Thanks
    Jimmy

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Panther G

Uh Joe, i told you about this before, you dont need aΒ*separateΒ*board just a 2 channel camera servo center which i have if you need it. Bob told us how to do this last year.
    Hi Gregg,

Thanks for chiming in. I guess Joe forgot.... I know has has been doing a lot of work on his house and just got back to the tanks. I have tried servo recoil and it does work but I never liked how the gun recoiled SOOO SLOOOOWLLYY and returned to battery at the same speed. I just looked so phoney and unrealistic. I have customized most of my Tamiya recoil units so that the recoil look realistic. It really started to bother me when I added my video cameras to the top of my tanks. The stock slow recoil just didn't look right. Here is a link to a recent video where you can see the fast recoil and slow return to battery. If you need more details let me know. There are kits you can buy for this modification or I can show you how to do it for about 50 cents. Because of the rotational design of the Tamiya recoil it is easily customized(see pic below). A servo will not do this fast /slow speed movement thru a simple modification. I don't have a pic of mine but I'll try and make a video today unless someone else has one handy???

You will see two back to back shots a about the 1 minute 12 second point from atop the bridge. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m15RAihJ1eE

Bob, NEAD CO
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Nk28040.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	25.9 KB 
ID:	1509784  
    Join us at NEAD: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/queenspanzergroup/
    He who ends up with the most toys wins!!!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: thecommander

ORIGINAL: Panther G

Uh Joe, i told you about this before, you dont need aΒ*separateΒ*board just a 2 channel camera servo center which i have if you need it. Bob told us how to do this last year.
    Hi Gregg,

Thanks for chiming in. I guess Joe forgot.... I know has has been doing a lot of work on his house and just got back to the tanks. I have tried servo recoil and it does work but I never liked how the gun recoiled SOOO SLOOOOWLLYY and returned to battery at the same speed. I just looked so phoney and unrealistic. I have customized most of my Tamiya recoil units so that the recoil look realistic. It really started to bother me when I added my video cameras to the top of my tanks. The stock slow recoil just didn't look right. Here is a link to a recent video where you can see the fast recoil and slow return to battery. If you need more details let me know. There are kits you can buy for this modification or I can show you how to do it for about 50 cents. Because of the rotational design of the Tamiya recoil it is easily customized(see pic below). A servo will not do this fast /slow speed movement thru a simple modification. I don't have a pic of mine but I'll try and make a video today unless someone else has one handy???

You will see two back to back shots a about the 1 minute 12 second point from atop the bridge. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m15RAihJ1eE

Bob, NEAD CO

I would be extremely interested. Do you have a tech article you can post here or on the NEAD web page? If you would PM me something i could also post on Kelly's Heroes web site

Thanks.
    Ken
    KT,T1, JPIV, Pnthr F, Stug III, JPntr, T34-85, SU85, SU76i, SU100, KV1, KV85, JT, JP-2, Elefant,T55, SU152, IS-2

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hi Ckank,

I'll see if I can put something together this weekend. My Panther G took a beating flying to and fighting at the Texas Armored Div battle weekend. I got rammed head on by a Pershing that broke my recoil barrel mounting tab. I also lost a gear in the right gearbox. But I did have agreat time and the guys there were just fantastic. I just got a Impact replacement box to upgrade. I've worn two gears out in the past year so it is time to upgrade. They did last me 4 years on the Danville battlefield so I have no complaints about durability. All I need is a few hours to do the benchwork. The Texas guys asked me to do a build post on how to cover and lube the gearboxes so I'll try to do it all at the same time.

Bob
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Pn36818.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	144.3 KB 
ID:	1509815   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Yt62136.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	73.3 KB 
ID:	1509816  
    Join us at NEAD: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/queenspanzergroup/
    He who ends up with the most toys wins!!!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thanks Bro
    Ken