Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

I WANT SMOKE

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2010, 12:05 PM
strong

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I WANT SMOKE

Had my tank for a couple weeks now but just got the time(been busy) to open the box and check it out....Everything checked out ok but where is the smoke.....I read the instructions and gave it time to work but no smoke yet....The bottle of smoke oil that came with it is half empty...must have leaked out....I also need to know where and how to put in the smoke oil because the instructions don't say how....... Other than having no smoke yet it's really nice......Still trying to break it in but so far so good.
Old 10-04-2010, 12:31 PM
vano12

Default RE: I WANT SMOKE

Both my orders came with the bottles have empty and leaked in the cardboard box they were packed in. I guess no one bothered to put the bottle cap in the factory. So far have not tried the smoke function especially after reading that almost no smoker works.
Old 10-04-2010, 12:52 PM
BIGMIG

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well i haven't run any of mine lately,and only used the smoker a couple of times.Don't know about some of the later versions that are on the market now but if memory serves me well there was a switch to turn the smoker on and off.Is the switch on if it has one.......?

BIGMIG

P.S. Turn the sound down or off............can you hear the smoker pump running..?
Old 10-04-2010, 01:03 PM
strong

Seems like I saw there was a upgrade to make it work.......I would like to have the smoke feather.
Old 10-04-2010, 01:59 PM
tankmaster5001

My smokers didn't work either on my tanks and I think that is a common thing for these tanks.

Old 10-04-2010, 02:17 PM
Capt.Canuck

Honestly I haven't even tried mine to see if it does work. I figure it's just one more thing that I have to keep an eye on, refill, etc...and I really can't be bothered with it.
Old 10-04-2010, 03:01 PM
vano12

I opened my JP yesterday to see what's inside. Of course I didn't know some of the screws were for the smoker unit and unscrewed everything at the bottom. Two of the three points that connect the smoker unit to to hull broke, I guess the material is of such poor quality. I glued them with Loctite and put everything back together so I am now well prepared to open it up again and put in steel gears from RCCommand when they release them for the JP. Maybe I'll give the smoker a try too but I am not holding my breath.
Old 10-04-2010, 05:41 PM
1sgt

ORIGINAL: vano12

I opened my JP yesterday to see what's inside. Of course I didn't know some of the screws were for the smoker unit and unscrewed everything at the bottom. Two of the three points that connect the smoker unit to to hull broke, I guess the material is of such poor quality. I glued them with Loctite and put everything back together so I am now well prepared to open it up again and put in steel gears from RCCommand when they release them for the JP. Maybe I'll give the smoker a try too but I am not holding my breath.
I haven't looked on RC Command, but if they have gears for the Panther G. They will fit the Jagdpanther. They have the same lower hulls.

Jim
Old 10-04-2010, 05:48 PM
Panther G

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I havent checked the site lately so i don't know if he Has the PantherG Gearboxes in yet or not. I know they where at least in the design phase so should be done soon. I'm gonna E-mail Bill and see whats up? I'll let everyone know as soon as I hear something.
Old 10-04-2010, 07:17 PM
vano12

Not available yet. According to the site:

Jagdpanther, Stug III will be here soon.

I wonder if installing these will fix the sprocket - it keeps unscrewing itself so I have to constantly tighten it with the hex wrench for fear it will fall off.

Old 10-04-2010, 07:31 PM
Panther G

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No you need to add some locktite. Some times the threads are cut sometimes rolled. Rolled are stronger. What you do is gett some of the Tamiya loctite and put just a little bit on the screw and that will keep them from backing out. Now DO NOT USE THE RED AUTOMOTIVE GRADE. Even some rubber cement will work. Remember rubber cement. You want a tigh bond but it must still be able to be taken apart.
Old 10-04-2010, 07:38 PM
Green Amphibian

If you want a reliable smoker get one of the upgrades from RC Command. I have one in my LVTP-7 and have never had a problem with it. I believe it to be superior to anything else out there. If you want to see it in action, watch this vid. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6yfWZKMIXHU

Old 10-04-2010, 09:03 PM
strong

Think I will pull the stock one and try to get it to smoke.....If that don't work I will maybe get a upgrade one.......Really I would be happy just to know where to put the oil........Instructions don't tell you where.
Old 10-05-2010, 11:04 AM
strong

Well I did some looking around and found some information on how to make the smoker work.......Did what it recommended and now it smokes like a cheap cuban cigar.....Was up late last nite because I had to pull the unit a few times until I got it to work right.....But now it works good.Also while in the process I figured out how to add more oil.......
Old 10-05-2010, 12:31 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: strong

Well I did some looking around and found some information on how to make the smoker work.......Did what it recommended and now it smokes like a cheap cuban cigar.....Was up late last nite because I had to pull the unit a few times until I got it to work right.....But now it works good.Also while in the process I figured out how to add more oil.......
Please do tell what you did to get it to smoke like that.
I've got mine working but not to any noticeable degree where it is worth the extra drain on the battery.
I was actually tempted to completely remove the unit last time I had my tank apart.
Old 10-05-2010, 12:55 PM
karel47

unfortunaly it seems to have the only panther were the smoke function is working, the biggest secret is try without add liquid in it, it needs only two drips to work if you add more it will be flooded, the resistance is to weak to warm more liquid to smoke. My son added at my jagdpanther a 120 Ohm resistant into, my panther is still working in original state.

there is a canadian version of the smoker, i got 48€ shippings in to belgium, it was on the forum here, it works much better ...
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Cz79889.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	69.4 KB
ID:	1511421   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sn41859.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	59.7 KB
ID:	1511422  
Old 10-05-2010, 07:12 PM
strong

I found the fix for mine in one of the other forums.....All I did was open up the part with the four screws on top where the smoke comes out.....There is a little circuit board with two black wires ran to it.....The wires are soldered to two small brass tabs..... The brass tabs are soldered to the circuit board......NOW...There is a small heating element attached to the ends of the brass tabs....Around it is wrapper a piece of string......What I did was take the string off the heating element......Shorten the element by about half and reattach it by pushing the loose end of the element up between the circuit board and the brass tab nice and tight.(solder would not work to reattach the element to the brass tab)Then I took a smaller piece of string and wrapped it around the element......Wet it good with smoke oil......Put all back together and she smoke like a champ.....I think the element is to long and string to thick because mine smokes good now.