Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

New Tamiya 1/16 Leopard A4: Designed for full option conversion

Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

New Tamiya 1/16 Leopard A4: Designed for full option conversion

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2010, 12:56 AM
pcomm1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Tamiya 1/16 Leopard A4: Designed for full option conversion

Dave ([email protected]) just emailed me to say,

More good news is that the static Leopard A4 will be released "re-outfitted" with modern hull and deckhard pointsfor making DMD full option R/C conversioneasier, according to Tamiya.

Leo 4A Specs & Features.
• Accurate 1/16 scale model of Germany's Leopard A4.
• Metal hull (I think) and working typical Tamiya suspension
• All of the original R/C equipment from Item #56002 has been removed but the
• Moveable suspension and wheels remain.
• The fearsome form of the large main gun and turret has been faithfullyreproduced.
• Features realistic link type tracks.
• Included are photo-etched parts to provide the model with greater realism.
• Upper hull accessory parts feature a fine finish
• Modern R/C equipment such as DMD unit, f/o drive gearboxes, and turret rotation
gearbox can be installed to convert the model into a working R/C model.

Which makes me think that this might be a more interesting FIRSTcold war tankbuild; than either the new T-55 kit or the new Super Sherman kit.

Visit Tamiya USA to read about the static Leo 4A kit and howit is now designed to be suitable for modern RC full option conversion(think El Mod and or Tamiya parts).

A lot of countries still use the older Leo and after 40+ years, there is great photo reference for this tank and all its variants.

Visit:

http://www.tamiyausa.com/product/ite...oduct-id=36207

http://www.afv-model.com/4711shop/in...-1.html&page=2

John
Old 10-17-2010, 01:01 AM
yellowshaker
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: New Tamiya 1/16 Leopard A4: Designed for full option conversion

Nice. Hopefully they will sell arts serperately so I can get the detail parts I need for my A4.
Old 10-17-2010, 01:05 AM
pcomm1

I bet they do, it just might take a few months for the parts to get into the supply stream. Really happy to discover this kit news.
Old 10-17-2010, 07:19 AM
pcomm1

And I forgot the best part: I think the Cold War Era T-55 kit will make a great backyard infrared foe for the new Tamiya Leopard A4 Static to DIY full option DMD conversion kit.

Democracies against all odds backyard rc tank battle day themes.

Old 10-17-2010, 10:40 AM
pcomm1

See the new Leopard 4A here: http://www.hlj.com/product/tam36207

Old 10-17-2010, 12:16 PM
Panther G

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The problem with your logic here is there will be no adversary for the Leo if the T-55 fails so whats the point. Again all Tamiya is doing is rehashing and old design they already have all the molds for and all the hardware. Now, granted the 1A4 is a very cool tank and some very interesting mods and conversions can be done to it but the fact remains. Tamiya is coping out again. they just wont spend the cash to develop any thing new. the Sherman is a waste of time. 1 in maybe 50 tankers may want to buy 1 , i think you will have more interest with this new/old static kit. atleast for guys who have originals that need rebuilding. it could be cheaper to buy the entire static kit than to rebuild an original piece by piece.
Old 10-17-2010, 12:36 PM
pcomm1

Maybe your right, who knows.

But my logic has nothing to do with it, because 3, soon to available, cold war era tank kits will be in the market place by years end(2 are DIY rc kits, which many rc tankers enjoy).

• T-55 DIY rc kit
• Leopard 4A DIY rc kit with f/o hull – turret hard points (at a much better price than the Leo legacy kits on eBay)
• Israeli Sherman f/o DMD kit

Go read about Daryl Turner's relatively stock "Danville Prepped" T-55 "Runner" build on page 2 for a T-55 opinion update:http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_10...mpage_2/tm.htm

A few are now working out the kit's kinks, just like you did with your HL tank builds.

HL is a perfect example of apainful 6+ year failure journey, that finally ended up turning RTR nothing into something OK.

But it does seem that the T-55 kit is not for beginners and novices...

Old 10-18-2010, 11:48 AM
WhiteWolf McBride
My Feedback: (3)

Aw... been waiting for this for ages... and now I can upgrade my pair of 1A4's.

Then again, I could just keep 'em as spares... or chassis to make other Leo variants.

And with Canada beginning to retire its 1A4's in favor of the 2A6, is there ANYONE still using it as their frontline unit?

WhiteWolf.
Old 10-18-2010, 01:42 PM
sevoblast

Received 54 Likes on 40 Posts

I'm sure they'll get passed around, and like the T 55 etc. they'll be around for a few more moons. When they start showing up in Togo, then it's time to write them off as front line units.
Old 10-18-2010, 03:00 PM
pcomm1

Wolf, Get well soon and back to building. I did a little Leo research just now in my 2 year old copy of Jane's.

The Leopard 1, A3, A4, A5 MBT and its foreign variants are no longer considered a first string tank, nor is it still in production. It delivered to the Modern German Army in 1965 according to "Jane's Tank Guide".

Jane's states a few Leo 1s will remain in service in Canada to around 2014. The CanadianLeopard C1/C2,aversion of the Leopard 1A3/1A5, proved not suitable forAfghanistan servicefor several reasons, but the main reason was that tank was baking the crew on those 125 degree days. It was cheaper to go to the new modern Leopards, than retrofit more powerful air conditioning units in the older Leopards.

And back to Jane's, the tank is probably still in service with Australia (being phased out and scrapped), Belgium, Brazil, Canada(being phased out and scrapped), Chile, Denmark, Greece, Italy and Norway.

So, it is a 45 year old golden oldie and a cold war relic, but a really neat tank relic, just like the old T-55.And both are perfect, I think, for cold war themed TBU backyard battle play. LOL.
Old 10-18-2010, 04:00 PM
rivetcounter

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

it's my understanding that the Belgian army uses 8 wheeled armored cars as opposed to tanks though I could be completely wrong
Old 10-18-2010, 04:28 PM
pcomm1

No doubt your correct.

My Jane's reference is 2 years old and is good enough for identifying cold war era MBT operators. For me, that is what is important,doing paint color and insignia research for a cold war era tank model, so Belgium is still in there as a past operator of a cold war Leo MBT.

Large and small armies drop equipment from their inventory all the time, so it is difficult to use the most current info, without some serious research, plus new operators are also added, but again that isn't important for my research goals.

There seems to be current rumblings in many armies though, including the US Army, to do the same thing, go to wheeled vehicles over tracked vehicles. With probably over 5000 Abrams in stock, that MBT will be around for a good awhile, as will the modern Leopard.

By the way, Togo does use the T-55.