Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

Fun to watch, but not historically accurate....

Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Fun to watch, but not historically accurate....

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2010, 07:24 AM
thecommander

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Fun to watch, but not historically accurate....

Hello Kids,

When you have some time to kill this series of CG videos from "History Televisionl" might be very entertaining to you. It is riddled with errors and short cuts, but if is very entertaining none the less. I don't recall ever seeing them on the air.

Enjoy....... Bob

Here is the link to the first video in the vast series.... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S2mLjQHfIAk
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw68422.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	91.4 KB
ID:	1519373  
Old 10-19-2010, 07:47 AM
YHR

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Fun to watch, but not historically accurate....

THis series is currently being aired on the History Channel on Monday nights. I have about 5 saved to my PVR so far.
Old 10-19-2010, 09:16 AM
rivetcounter

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I could only stand to watch half of this badly researched drivel the best part was were they described the Germans of massing hundreds of Panther and Tigers, there were less than 90 Tiger that took part in this battle along with Stug, Hetzer Jagdpanzer IV, Jagdpanther, Panzer IV, and various other tracked artillery, Panther wasn't even the most numerous tank in the German formations that went to Stug and Panzer IV, the comments at the bottom are even worse
Old 10-19-2010, 09:55 AM
sevoblast

Received 54 Likes on 40 Posts

Problem is, Rivet, that many people regard this foolishness as gospel truth. I often wonder who writes these 'historical' shows. Although I am no expert and no historian, even I know from my extensive readings that most is drivel.
Old 10-19-2010, 12:12 PM
Rex Ross

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

It's a Hollywood movie. It's entertainment (sorta/kinda) based on dusty facts. Most people don't know or care about accuracy. The computer graphics are interesting to me, and the tanks that they show are about as accurate as the stuff I build, so we are even on that point. But I still am entertained by those productions and I don't really expect much except to be inspired while I am building something. I really get Gung Ho watching war movies and "documentaries".

I love it when the narrator describes a P-51 firing it's 50 millimeter machine guns, and macho dudes are firing their submachine guns with the 10,000 round magazines (especially in a submerged submarine).

Old 10-19-2010, 12:17 PM
sevoblast

When did they cut the mags down to 10 grand capacity? I thought they was 25000 at least. And the P 51 DIDN'T have 50 mike mike MG's? Dang, and all these years I thought....
Old 10-19-2010, 12:23 PM
pattoncommander

Thanks, Six very fine segments on the Golan Heights battles.
Old 10-19-2010, 12:24 PM
Perry S.

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My take on it is that basically it's just a fun show to watch. I would rather have it on in the background instead of some reality show about obnoxious people.

I guess having an in-depth knowledge of these things limits the possibilities of 'ignorance is bliss enjoyment' like I have. I guess a photographer for an ....a'hem....gentleman's magazine who photographs perfect 10's all day doesn't get to see the beauty in a 7 or 8.

Perry
Old 10-19-2010, 12:59 PM
Panther F

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts

AND, Jagdpanzers as Jagdtigers.

- Jeff
Old 10-19-2010, 01:43 PM
Shark27

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts

I don't have a problem with the inaccuracy if they didn't try to pass it off as a Quasi-Documentary, they need to have a disclaimer that says it isentertainment and not to be taken as literal fact, or get there facts straight.
It is what it is, a really nice 3D animation of WWII tanks in battle. They probably should have shown the animation to the German tanker they interviewed he probably would have mentioned something about the super large Balkenkreuz on thefront of the Panther, I don't think I have seen that in any photos in any books I have seen.
As far as the quantity of tanks, If they didn't want to do the research they could have described the amount of tanks as a lot of Tigers and even more Panthers and other types. At least then every kid that sees this for the next 20 years would not be mis-informed and relating this information as facts. What if Ken Burns had done asimilar treatment to his Civil War series?
Just my two pennys,
Steve
Old 10-19-2010, 02:30 PM
pattoncommander

Didn't look at the Hollywood stuff, but the entire Golan Heights segments are very accurate. A lot of animation, but they story is told very accurately.
Old 10-19-2010, 02:48 PM
sevoblast

You were there? Interesting.
Old 10-19-2010, 04:16 PM
rivetcounter

Patton, I haven't seen the Golan Height's episodes but if it's anything like the Ardennes episodes then it will have little to do with the actual fighting that really took place as for the Ardennes episodes I think they did there research based on that awful film "Battle of the Bulge" and we all know how dreadful that was, as a child I thought it was good but now I'm a little older I now know better
Old 10-19-2010, 06:49 PM
Panther G

I'm not interested in Inaccurate history. They teach enough of that in the schools these days.
Old 10-19-2010, 07:16 PM
Ex_Pat_Tanker

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts

I especially liked the graphic at about 2:53 in, suggesting 21st Army group had some how crossed the Rhine at Arnhem and were coming up on Bremen in Dec 1944...
Old 10-19-2010, 08:14 PM
pattoncommander

I have done some reading up on these battles, as well as IDF history. My adopted unit was in the middle of it....the 188th Brigade had Centurians and M-51s, outnumbered 12-15 to 1 and they were 95% wiped out. One lone tank held two hills for 20 hrs until the 27th reserve tank unit arrived and turned the Syrians back.

An excellent book of this war is "The Heights of Courage" written by Gen Avigdor Kahalani, Tank Bn CO at the time. Forward by Gen Donn Starry, US Army. Praeger Publishing, ISBN; 0-275-94269-4. Gen Kahalini is also on the Video segments and he would not allow anything inaccurate being released.

Yes Sevoblast, I was there...but a year ago performing with the Ra'anana chamber Orchestra from Petah Tikva. (just ourside of Tel Aviv) I expect to be back in March, but this time in IDF uniform. May have a great opportunity to be around Merkava IVs. Only questionable fact is that I am not an Israeli citizen and the new IVs are very highly classified. I will be there as a volunteer but then my primary contact is a major with the 188th and he indicated that with my extensive military background in armor, some security measures can be waived. Will see.

Panther G; talk about inaccurate or warped history...try South Carolina where the Civil War ("War or Northern Aggression=confederate terminology) is still being fought. [&:]
Old 10-20-2010, 02:38 PM
Panzerfaust77

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Typical American triumphalist bullocks.
Old 10-20-2010, 02:43 PM
Panther G

As he crawls out from under his rock.
Old 10-20-2010, 09:25 PM
killick64

I've seen the CGI Mark III Panzer referred to as a Mark IV, etc......Mispronunciations of armour names are rampant, too.
But none of this ticks me off as much as Norm Christie describing Michael ("Black Baron") Wittmann as "The Greatest Tank Ace of All Time!"
Old 10-21-2010, 03:21 AM
thecommander

I'm glad you all feel the way I did. You just need to take it as entertainment and nothing else. It is like a Walt Disney movie for tankers.....LOL Bob
Old 10-21-2010, 06:06 AM
killick64

At least it's "Tank themed"... I never miss it !

Maybe the Designers/Writers were trying to imitate that BBC series, "Tanks!" - the one with comments by Bovington's David Fletcher, and that Little German Fellow with the Polish Last Name. (I picked up the first batch of "Region 1" formatted DVD's off of eBay this spring: great stuff, enhanced with "Tank Quizzes" and Previews of other Titles. )

Back to "Greatest Tank Battles" -As an ex-Navy Gunner, I just love seeing those honking big "Rounds" flying to their target. complete with "Brass" ..... !
Old 10-21-2010, 08:06 AM
YHR

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

All this is good to know. I am entertained when I watch this series, but I am no military historian. Knowing how flawed the research may be on some episodes is a good thing to know. Too bad it had to be this way, When I guy watchs the history channel you expect the accuracy of a show to be the primary focus. Honestly stuff like this can be dangerous. To learn from the past , that past needs to be accurately portrayed.
Old 10-21-2010, 10:19 AM
rivetcounter

ORIGINAL: killick64

and that Little German Fellow with the Polish Last Name.

"that Little German Fellow with the Polish Last Name" Jerry was a very nice chap and would talk for hours about most of his experiences during and after the war he certainly had a tail to tell, he saw horrors that would make a young man turn grey he also survived Russian Gulag, unfortunately after suffering with dementia for a few years he passed away nearly 3 years ago

YHR, you are right in what you say twisting history will never lead to any good, this is the sort of thing happening in dictatorships like Iran
Old 10-21-2010, 10:25 AM
sevoblast

Television is well known to take poetic license with history, and that's one of the understatements of the century.

Best research is both 'official' history and the writings of the veterans who were there. My father jumped D Day, fought long and hard, went thru Montie's mess, and was in Bastogne, and his 'boots in the mud' version is often at odds with the 'official' version of what was happening. Yes, his perspective was limited, being a Master Sergeant in the 101, but still...speaking to him that very very long night through dawn the next day was interesting to say the least. He's gone now, so all that knowledge of what actually happened in his AO is also gone, more's the pity for both. I often speak to vets here, and when I was in USA spoke to them there, and when in Germany spoke to vets also. Gives you a new perspective of what actually happened. Our vets are leaving us in droves now, and it is a pity that their memories are not being more actively sought and written down. Not only do they have a perspective on the War, but also life as it was then, a world that is but a distant memory for most, good or bad.
Old 10-21-2010, 11:20 AM
Rex Ross

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

History is a funny thing. It depends on who writes it.

Take my life for instance.............. the older I get, the better I was.............

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.