Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

Achtung Minen! (IR Minefield)

Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Achtung Minen! (IR Minefield)

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2010, 02:47 PM
borealis

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Achtung Minen! (IR Minefield)

I want to share my latest project, because it might be something original to build for you fellow tankers with a playing ground: an IR minefield simulator disguised as a destroyed half track (originally a static 1/18 M16 from 21st century toys) piece of diorama.

The chosen principle is to create a limited area where a Tamiya-compatible IR tank has is a chance to be hit while crossing it (or a chance to cross it without any damage).

The IR signal generator is a mini-Act A01 from Mitosal (Impact). The controlling circuit is a timer build by a fellow tanker (not an RCU member, yet) which can be set to operate a trigger automatically every 'n' seconds (from 2 to about 10 seconds). The two units have been integrated and powered by the same power pack (7.2V standard 2000 mAh).
The IR led emitter is put among the seats, pointed upwards. The half track doors and windows can be opened or closed, thus shaping the IR minefield.
With doors closed the IR emitter is dangerous only very close to the wreck, while with doors fully opened the IR flash hits some meters away (to be used when a phisical object, such as a wall or a mountain, signs the borders of the minefield). A combination of doors/windows closed and opened will shape the minefield only on one side, or half arc, etc.

Here is some pictures.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Us55359.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	49.4 KB
ID:	1520510   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yt63060.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	226.8 KB
ID:	1520511   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ot47151.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	103.1 KB
ID:	1520512  
Old 10-21-2010, 04:57 PM
Me-109 Jagdflieger

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Achtung Minen! (IR Minefield)

Very cool!
Old 10-21-2010, 05:40 PM
Tankhobby

Received 76 Likes on 50 Posts

I made some minefield units a few years back for a Canadian club. I used an ultrasonic movement detector to trigger it but having it fire repeatedly is also an option. You can even use it as an antitank emplacement if you put Ir detectors with it. If I recall the ultrasonic devices ate up batteries pretty quickly, originally they were powered by 9 volt battteries but had to switch to C cell packs.
Old 10-22-2010, 01:05 AM
borealis

I wanted to give to those who dare a chance to pass through the minefield. It should be put in strategical passage which gives an advantage when crossed, but at a possible price.
Old 10-22-2010, 02:32 AM
skosti

Wow great idea, you have any more information, or schematics or a point of contact for what you've done. This is something that looks like it would be a lot of fun to play with. Any information on sources of supply or schematics for the home built stuff or any other suggestions would be welcome.

Thanks
Old 10-22-2010, 04:12 AM
borealis

I don't have the schematics for the custom timer, but there are commercial relay timers which will do the job.
The best is to find a relay timer working at the same voltage as the IR unit, so you can power both with the same battery pack.
You just have to connect the timer relay output to the trigger plug on the Mitosal unit, and set the shooting interval.
Eveything else is just decorative work.
Old 10-22-2010, 05:27 AM
modeltank

a video demonstration of the mine would be good.
Old 10-31-2010, 02:38 PM
borealis

Finally managed to shoot a video testing the minefield at 2 different timer setting (see note inside video).
Pretty satisfied with its versatility of available settings.

Range on hitting side (left) goes from 1 to 4 meters, depending on the left door and window open or closed. Towards front and right it ranges from 10 centimeters (windows closed) to half a meter (forward, windscreen armor lowered) and 1 meter (rightwards, door open).

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=65uuZcXgJVo[/youtube]