Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

Tamiya Hybrid Firefly Sherman

Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Tamiya Hybrid Firefly Sherman

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2010, 02:22 PM
victorm3
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tamiya Hybrid Firefly Sherman

Here are some photos of my recently completed Tamiya Hybrid Sherman. Modified Nick Agular's mantlet with Tamiya barrel. Turret modifications were made using Evergreen styrene, bits & pieces, and epoxy putty. The Hybrid Composite hull will made using the Tamiya welded hull with the front section of Mato Sherman cast hull.Suspension is the stock Tamiya HVSS & tracks with Imperial-Modell-bau VVSS "covers" added to give the look of VVS with the smooth running of the Tamiya HVSS suspension. The "Brit" comander was made from a Tamiya US commander modified with epoxy putty.

Vic M
Epsom, New Hampshire
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk27503.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	83.9 KB
ID:	1526180   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hc93136.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	63.9 KB
ID:	1526181   Click image for larger version

Name:	Va70827.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	82.0 KB
ID:	1526182   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vo37512.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	65.2 KB
ID:	1526183   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mx22189.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	74.3 KB
ID:	1526184   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ne55718.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	85.9 KB
ID:	1526185   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wz51426.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	87.0 KB
ID:	1526186   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ed10990.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	92.0 KB
ID:	1526187  

Old 10-31-2010, 02:38 PM
pattoncommander

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Tamiya Hybrid Firefly Sherman

Busy guy with Shermans. VVSS didn't use the 23 inch track and dual wheels. Nice mod on the TC.
Old 10-31-2010, 02:53 PM
YHR

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Before the Mato VVSS, this is about all we had to build a fascimile of a Firefly. My first Sherman Firefly had HVSS too. Nice weathering as well. Seems like we have another Shermaholic here.
Old 10-31-2010, 04:14 PM
pcomm1

Beautifully crafted Firefly model,well donevictorm3. TheImperial-Modell-bau VVSS "covers"are a nice and durable VVS running solution that doesn't comprise the build durability like the recent toy clunky VVS solution.

Old 10-31-2010, 04:24 PM
YHR

TOY Clunkly VVSS!!!! OUCH

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sIuR_rb7WBQ[/youtube]
Old 10-31-2010, 05:09 PM
pattoncommander

Roger that Dan, I'm going on my 5th Sherman, but they all Israeli. I figured this was a recent build and VVSS parts are available from Mato. All his tanks look nice.
Old 10-31-2010, 05:13 PM
pcomm1

YHR, I forgot, I like yours and Bill's Sherman's the best, but there is also room for all the other fine Sherman's. Anyway, I was thinking about all those fragile DAK TaMato Sherman build blogs, not all those Canadian Shermans or East Coast Shermans, etc. I wouldn't want to start any international problems, but a simple border war with a few AZ desert dwellers is probably alright.

OK, they are all wonderful Sherman's (even in AZ) and I am happy to see a lot more of them around too! What ever suspension type. LOL.
Old 10-31-2010, 06:10 PM
YHR

Hey I agree, Vic's tanks look darn fine. Nice to see another modeler showcasing what he has been working on. Before the Mato came along, VVSS was tough row to hoe. Looks like Vic took the bull by the horns and had himself a VVSS. With my first firefly I just lived with the HVSS.

In all honsety the stock Mato suspension is tough as nails. It just doesn't suspend!!!!!!!!!!
Old 11-05-2010, 11:07 AM
pattoncommander

Dan, the real VVSS wasn't all that great either. It was bumpy, and that's what made the Easy 8 with HVSS so popular. The horizontal configuration of the springs combined with the new hydraulic shocks greatly improved the cross country performance. You realise the vast difference when you drive an M-32 around then jump into an M-32A1B3 or M-74. A world apart and it also made shifting a bit easier.
Old 07-25-2011, 04:45 PM
X82d Pathfinder

Dan:

That is far from toy-like and clunky. I scaled the parts from the MATO offering and the only thing that is out of scaleare the road wheels. They are only 1/16 " from all the scale references I have. Iam also doing a Firefly. Even my mantlet is dead on. It's a lot of work in this scale if you're going to actually reproduce a Firefly. Unlike Axis armor, we don't have everything made for us already.

Thus far, your Sherman is the closest to aFirefly Ihave seen. Ethan from DAKdid a nice job of a Sherman 1C Hybrid. Ibuilt functional loader's hatch as well with the proper stop and pads and bolts. I am going to postmy Fireflybuild Iam working on. By the way, thank you for your help. I guess Iam going to have to make a master for the hull mounted fire extinguishers that are common to all commonwealth armor being I have yet to find something to inprovise with.

-Dan