Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Tamiya or HL??

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2010, 12:35 AM
Tanque

Received 95 Likes on 82 Posts
Default RE: Tamiya or HL??

Perhaps there should be a different icon on the forum index page for threads like this one, like a chili or Habanero pepper
to warn the passerby to enter at their own risk.

My advice to anyone taking the time to seek advice for making the decision to buy Heng Long or Tamiya is also do your homework.

First decide what is important to you, the prospective buyer then ask these questions:

- what is the relative quality of the products you are considering, 'just the facts ma'am'
- what makes a reliable model and which models under consideration have these qualities
- if all you want is to buy a model and run which ones can do that
- if indications point to required modifications to give you the type of model or the reliability you want, what are the relative costs
- determine how each model stands on its own out_of_the_box merits; if that what you want
- how flexible does your purchase need to be with regards to radio equipment, accessories and the like
- how difficult is it to find replacement parts

If this is too much work for you; just buy whatever appeals and hope for the best...

No one can tell you if you'll have more fun with this one or that one; you just have to find out for yourself.

For me I buy whatever I want, whatever I like. Tamiya, Heng Long, Bandai, Imai ( years past) and a whole plethora of others
and in whatever scale I want. Truth be told I can make just about everything, anything I want, tracks, wheels, hulls, transmissions all of it. I literally now can say I've done it all save make a radio system. I'll still buy a Heng Long and or Tamiya if I want one. All have their place. Are they all equal in all aspects, is a tank a tank? No. It doesn't matter who in a hundred passerby can tell the
difference between one model and the next, one tank and the next, all you should be concerned about is are you happy with it.

If you can say that everything else is just smoke in the wind.

Jerry
Old 11-21-2010, 01:31 AM
Panther G

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The further along i get in this hobby the more I need to put my money where it will serve me the best. This approach should be taken when any one is contemplating getting into a new hobby. My HL's are mostly all conversions now. My new tank purchases will mostly be Tamiyas. BUT I still love my HL tanks and they give me loads of fun. I can play with them with my nephews and need not worry. My fighting tanks are the Tamy's as I fight on a more competetive scale.  But i still have use for both. I think that most people will eventually try this route atleast once. Either way they are both very good for the hobby.

they both have their place and to compare them is really pointless, and so are these debates.
It has been said that we should only give accurate info on each brand and let the buyer make up his own mind.
Old 11-21-2010, 05:11 AM
pcsguy88

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

All I have to say is HL's Panther G might be the best beginner tank out there. The detail, performance and quality is all there out of the box for $100. I love to build up my HL's to the $500 mark, but the G just didn't need it. I added the track tensioner and some 3:1 gears, so about $200 for tank and parts and it's my best all around performer. I did buy the metal sprockets and idlers, expecting to buy metal tracks, but it runs so good with the plastic ones I never felt the need to upgrade.

The stock HL Panther G makes other stock HL's look like cheap toys. Sure wish they'd put something new on the market to see if the G was an exception or the rule moving forward.

I really want a Tamiya, but without a local battleground, I just can't pull the trigger. The 3 HL's I have with IR are good enough for my backyard and the once a year battle that might take place if the neighbors are drunk and bored. That's really what it all comes down to, where are you going to run it?

My tanks get plenty of weekly run time and rarely break unless I'm messing around on the inside. I imagine Tamiyas are no different than an HL with Asiatam parts, once assembled everything must be tweaked and broken in until it hits that sweet spot, then it will run forever with minor maintenance. Everything mechanical seems to live by this rule.

If you can spend the $700 on a Tamy without regret and you just want that one perfect tank and don't mind building it, I don't see why you shouldn't buy it. If your butt kinda puckers at that $700 and you just want something to try, get the HL Panther G with IR/recoil. If you like the HL and find yourself wanting to do more, then build it up a bit until it's what you want. If you are still interested and want another, then buy a Tamy and toss Tamy electronics in your G so they can battle. This is by far the safest approach and should sidestep the pain older HL's can inflict. The only way to know how much you will use your tank is to have one at your disposal.

STOP READING AND GO BUY A TANK!
Old 11-21-2010, 10:41 AM
YHR

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Mike

Again, none of this is your fault. If you are a tanker and you have been around here long enough you will know that any negative talk of either brand will create a firestorm, as people will jump to defend that particulair brand. To me that is a good sign. It shows people are passionate about the hobby and they must be having a pile of fun with either brand to be so quick to jump to it's defense.

The Tamiya vs Heng Long survival guide.

The comments I have learned to be sensitive to are.

1. Tamiya are too expensive. This is a relative and subjective comment, that can only be applied at an individual level. Too expensive to me, might be chump change to someone else, so don't go there.
2. Heng Longs are inferior. Again relative to someone at an individual level. How equal to Tamiya must they be to provide fun and entertainment? $/smile is the key, and only the modeler himself knows .
3. Obvious things like HL are junk, I consider are pot stirring comments.( Tamiya Kool -aid fits in that as well) Best to ignore and focus on facts.
4. Generalizations about either brand or it's loyal customers are generally things to stay away from. There are exceptions to every rule, and this is very true in RC tanking. For me to say Tamiya kits are fine for those who can't think outside the box is a generalization that will cause fireworks. Tamiya does present a nice tank that can be built stock with little inventiveness, but that does not mean the builder is not innovative. Many Tamiyas are improved and bashed to incredible levels. Generally saying Heng Longs will never match the durability of Tamiya will also cause fireworks. Stock Heng Longs are not as durable as Tamiya. However I, and many others spend a lot of enjoyable hobby hours improving then to a level that I think matches a Tamiya. Bearings, metal, suspension components, El Mod.

I think it is also important to remember both brands have contributed greatly to the growth of this hobby. I would never have bought a Tamiya Tank, if it wasn't for Heng Long. Heng Long started off supplying toy tanks, but the differene was they made spare parts readily available. THis created a market for us kit bashers, and the Feed back Heng Long was receiving, was perhaps they should step it up a level, which they did. These tanks could have gone away like the dodo bird. At Christmas time we see all those large RC toy snowmobiles and cars. They are here one year and gone, never to be seen again once the Christmas season is past. These tanks and the demand for them has lingered on. Now we have many third party suppliers making upgrade parts, that work with both brands.

Tamiya build a quality product and support of its products over the years, built a base for tanks. The fact you can buy Tamiya electronics and other parts are equally important to the growth of this hobby. How many Heng Longs are there running around with Tamiya electronics.

Bottom line is the brands actually compliment one another to offer a wide range of options to allow people to enjoy this hobby. For that we can be all thankful.

Also debate like this is good for new people getting into the hobby. It helps define what they themselves need to discover about what RC tanking has to offer.

Dan

Old 11-21-2010, 11:19 AM
Imnotanace

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well after all the heated discussion ,I think I will go for broke and get one of each .I already put one on my Christmas list and if I get one i will Buy the other myself . this way I can have one to beat around and one to detail and add all the goodies.
I felt this would be the place to ask, and I was right, I can get opinions,arguments all we need to know on what you can do with both . I may never see a pro battle field ,but you never know if I get bitten by the bug I may make a trip to VA. to see what it's all about.
There are a lot of great build treads to help out and I'm sure if I ask nicely I can get all the help I need ,whenI need it. I am one that goes nuts over upgrades ,If I can make it better i will usually find a way.like was said many times "It's all on what makes you happy"

Ron
Old 11-21-2010, 11:52 AM
YHR

Mission accomplished. Buy both. Actually that is what the advice should always be.
Old 11-21-2010, 12:30 PM
Panther G

Thats what I did. My first tank was a HL PanTiger, my second a Tamiya Panther G. Every tank since then has been an HL or WSN. Granted I did convert quite a few to Tamiya electronics but the HL hulls and turret systems are quite adequate for my needs so i can effectively buy an HL for a hundred bucks, throw a couple hundred more into with Tamiya parts and have a very effective efficient tank. endless possibilities with both brands,.
 Again it just comes down to what you want to get from the tank.  

Are we there yet?
Old 11-21-2010, 01:01 PM
Imnotanace

I can hear you now We made it !!!! mission accomplished. Many Thanks! All is Good. No hard feelings!! What more can I say but you are All right.

Ron
Old 11-21-2010, 01:16 PM
Capt.Canuck

ORIGINAL: Imnotanace

I can hear you now We made it !!!! mission accomplished. Many Thanks! All is Good. No hard feelings!! What more can I say but you are All right.

Ron
What's more - if you're into instant gratification like me - you'll be able to enjoy your HL right away, and you'll be able to take your time with the Tamiya build.

Have you given any thought yet to which particular models (i.e. Panther G, Tiger, etc...)? There are some good threads on that here too.
Old 11-21-2010, 02:00 PM
DirtyBird69

I have to say its rather nice to see everybody coming together at the end of this thread(never happened before on this issue that I've ever seen).....Nobody is bashing each others brand loyalties and actually expressing the virtues of both....very nice! And of course after all the in-fighting the guy that started the whole dam thread decides to get both LMAO! I guess both sides proved their points lol...[8D]
Old 11-21-2010, 02:52 PM
Imnotanace

Yes I have decided on HL Tiger and Tamiya King Tiger . I will have to see wich I get for Christmas. I do plan to get both and start"Mein Reich"

Ron
Old 11-21-2010, 03:43 PM
BiggTony

ORIGINAL: Imnotanace

Yes I have decided on HL Tiger and Tamiya King Tiger . I will have to see wich I get for Christmas. I do plan to get both and start"Mein Reich"

Ron
Well Ron,
If you are in the market for a Tammy KT. I'm considering letting my unassembled KT go. I suffered buyers remorse on that one, as I'm not really fond of the KT and got it for collection purposes along with bearings, transmission brace, and Schumo idler upgrades.. But, this isn't concrete and I did tell Eggman (Mike) that I would keep him in mind should I do go through with selling it. So, when ever that time comes and if Mike is no longer interested...just let me know!

Old 11-21-2010, 04:12 PM
YHR

Also, if you want the very best HengLong, I would suggest their lastest Panther as the one to get. Be careful though as HL did produce a ******* Panther that marginally looks like a Panther. I would suggest you stay away from that one. The Tiger has been around awhile and depending on where you purchase it from you might get some old stock, and do not buy anytthing that is not Smoke and sound. You want Smoke and sound, the electronics are much better. Heng Long has been improving over the years, and the lastest Panther is a very decent tank, and you can now get metal wheels and suspension arms as well, if you want to go the upgrade route.

THe HL PZ III or Stug are good as well. Lots of metal upgrades available, and Tamiya don't make these models so they hold there value well, as there is no other game in town with respect to these two models.
Old 11-21-2010, 04:46 PM
yellowshaker
My Feedback: (1)

Wow!!! what a thread! Mike, I think it's great that you are jumping into the hobby with both feet. I read that you would like something that is upgradeable. HL's Tiger 1, PzIII and KV-1 all have metal lower hulls available. If you are looking to go as far as you can with an HL, that hull is the way to do it. I have to also say that the Panther G is a great tank, possibly one of the best OTB runners HL offers to date. No metal hull...yet. That will probably com along though. I am also one who enjoys making the HL tanks better, so they fit well into my collection. I also agree that the arguements about what is better really comes down to what makes the individual happy. Building them is the part that I am passsionate about, even more so than running them. Just my .02. best of luck and keep us posted on what you end up buying.
And yes, this is the place for questions. Everyone here is willing to lend a helping hand with every aspect of the tankig hobby.
Old 11-21-2010, 04:47 PM
STO_118

Matomart, Ibelieve, sell smoke and sound models with the basic metal upgraded gearbox and uprated battery. It's always worth checking as a lot of vendors have no idea what is in the tanks they sell.

Good choice by the way, if I can't track down a KT by Matorro there is a very good chance that will be my first Tamiya. In the distant future as I really need to finish, ok well start, sorting out my other tanks to my liking!
Old 11-21-2010, 05:19 PM
yellowshaker
My Feedback: (1)

Phil sells the S&S versions at www.rctankwars.com
Old 11-21-2010, 05:25 PM
BIGMIG

For what it's worth..

If you look around here on RC UNIVERSE in any of the many catagorys you will find this thread can be typical when it comes to personel opinions and heated viewpoints.Just the nature of the beast.

We all come from different walks of life and all have different income levels and values that we may put on the allmighty dollar.There are people here who can spend $2000.00 dollars on a toy and think nothing of it and there are other's who will give the idea of buying a $80.00 toy a lot of thought.And then there are those who will try to buy the $2000.00 dollar toy who realy couldn't afford to do so from the start and will find themselves saying "my god that was a stupid thing to do".Use your head and don't let someone pressure you into getting in over your head.You will be the looser,not them.

The topic here is HL or Tamiya..........Well what you will read will speak for itself............

My advice to the new guy is start cheap and and go from there.It is much better to have a $80.00 dollar toy setting on the shelf and not being used that it is a $2000.00 one.

The HL Tank (don't care what model you choose) is not going to bankrupt anyone if they find that it's all of a sudden not their cup of tea or find it's not what they expected.If you find it's the best thing since sliced bread,then the door is open and the sky's the limit from then on.Then if you find your self saying "this is just to low a quality tank for me",I'm going to get me one of those top of the line models (what ever the hell they are ) and I'm going to (send this one to BIGMIG for free just to get rid of it..............).

If you are "new" to (RC in General ) or to (Tanks in general ) It might not be that smart to decide you are going to buy yourself a pretty expensive Tamiya Tank Kit that you have to put togeather in order to even drive it around.This kit is going to be as good as the guy building and puting it togeather.Most all of the kits one buys will show on the outside of the box a fancy painted cool looking tank...........but when you lay all these parts out on the work table they are a bland non discript color that has to be put togeather and "you" will be the one who will make this pile of parts a "cool" looking tank............if you have the skill level to do so.If you are one of those who will have all the qualifications to become the next "GLUE MONKEY FOR HL" you may find yourself the proud owner of glued up mess rather tha a "COOL TANK"..............

If you have the burning desire to build a "KIT TANK" and have never done so before..........Some good "free advice" would be go to tower hobby or who ever you choose and buy yourself one of the cheap 1/35 scale models or "TWO" as they will let you get your feet wet and cost you very little to do so, and they are "FUN TO BUILD".If you screw one up or decide they are not what you think you want to try again......not much lost.

What ever you choose............."HAVE FUN"...........

BIGMIG

Old 11-21-2010, 05:43 PM
tankfanatic

ORIGINAL: BIGMIG

For what it's worth..

If you look around here on RC UNIVERSE in any of the many catagorys you will find this thread can be typical when it comes to personel opinions and heated viewpoints.Just the nature of the beast.

We all come from different walks of life and all have different income levels and values that we may put on the allmighty dollar.There are people here who can spend $2000.00 dollars on a toy and think nothing of it and there are other's who will give the idea of buying a $80.00 toy a lot of thought.And then there are those who will try to buy the $2000.00 dollar toy who realy couldn't afford to do so from the start and will find themselves saying "my god that was a stupid thing to do".Use your head and don't let someone pressure you into getting in over your head.You will be the looser,not them.

The topic here is HL or Tamiya..........Well what you will read will speak for itself............

My advice to the new guy is start cheap and and go from there.It is much better to have a $80.00 dollar toy setting on the shelf and not being used that it is a $2000.00 one.

The HL Tank (don't care what model you choose) is not going to bankrupt anyone if they find that it's all of a sudden not their cup of tea or find it's not what they expected.If you find it's the best thing since sliced bread,then the door is open and the sky's the limit from then on.Then if you find your self saying "this is just to low a quality tank for me",I'm going to get me one of those top of the line models (what ever the hell they are ) and I'm going to (send this one to BIGMIG for free just to get rid of it..............).

If you are "new" to (RC in General ) or to (Tanks in general ) It might not be that smart to decide you are going to buy yourself a pretty expensive Tamiya Tank Kit that you have to put togeather in order to even drive it around.This kit is going to be as good as the guy building and puting it togeather.Most all of the kits one buys will show on the outside of the box a fancy painted cool looking tank...........but when you lay all these parts out on the work table they are a bland non discript color that has to be put togeather and "you" will be the one who will make this pile of parts a "cool" looking tank............if you have the skill level to do so.If you are one of those who will have all the qualifications to become the next "GLUE MONKEY FOR HL" you may find yourself the proud owner of glued up mess rather tha a "COOL TANK"..............

If you have the burning desire to build a "KIT TANK" and have never done so before..........Some good "free advice" would be go to tower hobby or who ever you choose and buy yourself one of the cheap 1/35 scale models or "TWO" as they will let you get your feet wet and cost you very little to do so, and they are "FUN TO BUILD".If you screw one up or decide they are not what you think you want to try again......not much lost.

What ever you choose............."HAVE FUN"...........

BIGMIG

My goodness, you make it seem like the forum is full of pushers trying to sell crack to kids! Where's the mute button when you need it?! Last I looked, I was in Rcuniverse where we celebrate and discuss hobbies, not the Pinch-A-Penny forums! I mean, you do realize hobbies are for people who have not only the time for it be the extra funds to do so, otherwise those who can't afford it need to be spending better use of their time and money elsewhere. Seems more like you are aninstigatorwith nothing better to do but stir the pot...even after things have been all said and done. You don't even own a Tamiya, so how can you even recommend something that is supposedly similar to it when you don't know squat about it, other than what you read? Just let it go and take your personal assumptions to the flea market, where it belongs. Your no knight in shining armor bringing money saving angles to light, captain obvious.
Old 11-21-2010, 05:54 PM
BIGMIG

Wow Must have struck a nerve on one of our "HIGH ROLLERS HERE"...........Lets all hope you build better than you read........[:-]

BIGMIG
Old 11-21-2010, 05:58 PM
BiggTony

Got my popping corn....going downhill fast again.
Old 11-21-2010, 06:02 PM
BIGMIG

Hey that looks "good"...........Like to have some but can't afford any as all my "funds" are tied up in my "toys" LOL LOL

BIGMIG
Old 11-21-2010, 06:08 PM
DirtyBird69

LOL....I was just gonnasay the same thing lol! As for "tankfanatic" whot made that rediculous comment, I have to say something as a "penny pincher" myself.I choose to save money onmy rc armor(I'm one of those pathetic HL fanatics)not because I can't afford Tamiyas(I have 6 1/10 Tamiya cars for Pete's sake), but because I 'm into several hobbies and don't dedicate every moment of my free time or cashto rc tanks(plus I can't digest putting over a grand into a single 1/16 tank...just my opinion),And that being the case I like to limit my funds inall my hobbies so as to allow me to enjoy all of them,so any cost saving info I find as very useful.....! I would think that would be the case with many of the tankers here.....

ORIGINAL: BIGMIG

Wow Must have struck a nerve on one of our "HIGH ROLLERS HERE"...........Lets all hope you build better than you read........[:-]

BIGMIG
Old 11-21-2010, 06:14 PM
Perry S.

ORIGINAL: BiggTony

Got my popping corn....going downhill fast again.

Biggtony,
That's a big tub of popcorn. You must be some sort of 'HIGH ROLLER' to flaunt such a big tub of popcorn. Can I suggest if you are just getting into popcorn that you start with a smaller one so you wont be left with a half eaten tub of popcorn. If you decide you like it you can get bigger and better tubs of popcorn but for the noob, I suggest you start small.
If you do start off with the generic cheap popcorn you will end up spending pretty much the same as if you had bought the 'elitist' Orville Redenbachers. There's all the upgrades you will have to buy to make it bearable. Napkins, salt, butter. After all that you will end up paying the same but you will still be stuck with a fancy version of off-brand popcorn.

If you have a burning desire to eat popcorn, and I ask that even though this is a popcorn forum where people that like popcorn come, perhaps you can scale that pic down 1/35.

Remember, I speak with authority even though I own no popcorn. I just want to be known as the guy that protects all noobs from making popcorn mistakes because all their situations are exactly the same as mine and I insist to the bitter end that everyone appreciates me for doing this.

For what it's worth,

Perry
Old 11-21-2010, 06:19 PM
BiggTony

OMG!! LOL!!! I think I should have went with Raisinets. lol!

If you can't appreciate Perry's humor...you're not human!
Old 11-21-2010, 06:21 PM
BIGMIG

Hey that was pretty funny Perry......... You are a piece of work,where would this forum be without you.

BIGMIG

You need a hobby.... well i guess being a "troll" is a hobby to some..............Well ya his humor is kind of like watching a blind man in a boxing match...........To some I guess it might be funny....

Well we get a fair amount of snow during the winter-But getting our first snowfall of the winter today and it is snowing like a big dog.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.