Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

KV-1 Leningrad Street Fighter

Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

KV-1 Leningrad Street Fighter

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2010, 12:12 PM
pcomm1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default KV-1 Leningrad Street Fighter

Tamiya KV-1 + TBU runner andrather than re-posting a bunch of photos, visit here for a complete photo brief on the build:

http://www.rctankwarfare.co.uk/forum...hp?f=21&t=6263

John
Old 11-27-2010, 03:50 PM
pcomm1

Default RE: KV-1 Leningrad Street Fighter

And a few more KV photos...
Old 11-27-2010, 04:49 PM
ArmChairGeneral

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice, I like the theme too, where did the driver come from?
Old 11-27-2010, 06:21 PM
Capt.Canuck

Very good looking tank and excellent build. [sm=thumbup.gif] Daryl is great, he's working on a few custom pieces for my Tamiya Panther as we speak.

Any chance you could post a walkthrough of your painting and weathering process?
Old 11-27-2010, 10:16 PM
pcomm1

Thank you. And DT is the best.

• The base color paint on the KV is really simple: Tamiya dark green rattle can paint per the kit instructions, seal it with Testor's Dullcote rattle can then fade the flat surfaces a little with slightly lighter shades of the base coat color, but use XF-61 dark green through your airbrush.

• Read and thencopy & "lift" Mig's new style weathering approach and stop when you like what you got!

• The weathering technique used on this model is found here and then leave out everything that looks to hard or to risky to do!

• Visit:http://migjimenez.blogspot.com/searc...2F16th%20scale

• Then dust the weathering with just a touch of Dullcote through your airbrush, to fix it in place or don't fix it, either way it is a risk. LOL.

• The Soviet tanker is by Andrew Designs and I got it here:http://www.mitosal.com/andrewdesigna.html

• The tracks are just painted Tamiya rattle can red brown and dulllcoted. And maybe I dusted them a little with a rattle can dark metallic gun metal, don't remember.

• And I don't paint anything you can't see. Super lazy.

John

Old 11-28-2010, 10:37 AM
BiggTony

Man, that's an impressive KV and great picture taking as well. Big pat on the back and thanks for the link to your build and sharing.
Old 11-28-2010, 12:12 PM
pcomm1

Thank you BiggTony.I hope your feeling better now and back to your builds.

And I left off these steps:

• Dark brown paint, use any old mix (dirt color) was shot against the dark green hull; medium heavy; against the lower hull sides; and suspension; but let splatter on the road wheels – "LIGHTLY".

• Lighten your dark brown so it is a tan looking brown and now shoot a "dust line" all around the model and call it a day for painting.

• Work quick, let things happen, and don't over control the situation.

•If you don't like a weathering "something", hit it with light dullcote to erase it, let the dullcote dry, and do it again, but with more thought and care before you make your move.

• Layering is OK and helps.

Old 11-28-2010, 04:06 PM
Flyn Chris

That sure is good looking KV, thanks for the painting tips for those of us that are artistically challenged
Old 11-28-2010, 06:10 PM
Capt.Canuck

ORIGINAL: C4ISTAR

• The base color paint on the KV is really simple: Tamiya dark green rattle can paint per the kit instructions, seal it with Testor's Dullcote rattle can then fade the flat surfaces a little with slightly lighter shades of the base coat color, but use XF-61 dark green through your airbrush.

• Read and then copy & ''lift'' Mig's new style weathering approach and stop when you like what you got!

• The weathering technique used on this model is found here and then leave out everything that looks to hard or to risky to do!

• Visit: http://migjimenez.blogspot.com/searc...16th%20scale

• Then dust the weathering with just a touch of Dullcote through your airbrush, to fix it in place or don't fix it, either way it is a risk. LOL.

• The Soviet tanker is by Andrew Designs and I got it here: http://www.mitosal.com/andrewdesigna.html

• The tracks are just painted Tamiya rattle can red brown and dulllcoted. And maybe I dusted them a little with a rattle can dark metallic gun metal, don't remember.

John

Thanks for this and the follow up message. I've got a HL KV-1 that has been itching for some attention and with these guidelines I'm going to make it an Xmas holiday project.

FYI (and this may be public knowledge already, I don't know) but Mig will have a new guide out shortly. I e-mailed Mig at his blog about a month ago inquiring about his F.A.Q. armor modeling book that's now out of print, and this was his reply:

Dear Stephen. Thank you very much for email me!, and thanks for your words too.

The other FAQ book is sold out and hard to find and also very expensive.

But right now, I am working in a updated version of the FAQ book, the second volume, and will be even better, improved, updated and cheaper.

If you can wait 2 or 3 month more, it will be available form AK interactive, the new editor of that book,.

Keep in touch and thank you one more time

MIG

Looking forward to seeing that new book as I really admire his work. Based on that timeline, we should see it early in the new year.
Old 12-04-2010, 10:00 PM
pcomm1

Your welcome Captain and post your KV photos when your ready.

Not being a real fan of WWII Soviet Armor, I put the KV-1 on eBay today to test the waters.

Well, it sold in 1 hour and 13 minutesand won't my wife be so happy with allher new money!

Amazing!

And a BIG thank you to a member of this forum for the "win"!

Up next on the work bench is an old static Tiger II Porsche Turret kit, to be converted to full option, including recoil and using similar after market parts as my now x-Tamiya KV-1.

And maybe after that the Tamiya Leo 1A4 converted to F/O or the T-55?

Or should I wait for the alleged Tamiya Abrams in Spring 2011 or the new Elefant alleged for 2050?

Happy Holidays,

John
Old 12-04-2010, 11:27 PM
yellowshaker
My Feedback: (1)

I saw your KV on ebay. Congrats on the sale, it looks like a great tank! I hope you're right about an Abrams coming too!
Old 12-05-2010, 12:04 AM
pcomm1

Thank you and I picked up on the Tamiya Abrams rumor from two recent concurrent sources, one in Asia and the other on the East Coast.

Though, the rumor is kinda old, dating back to at least TamiyaCon 2006. I believe it started afterMr Tamiya was given the red carpet treatment by the crew of a Marine Corp Abrams tank on display at the event. So, who knows for sure, I don't?

And the Tamiya KV-1 is a really great runner, stock, easy to assemble, and very adaptable for improvement modifications and parts upgrades.

Plus with the gearboxes in the rear and having a BIG hull, the wiring setup is the simplest of all the Tamiya WWII tanks.

Anyway, the improvements Daryl Turner made to my KV-1 hull make it my very best running build to date and the others are pretty pretty good.

Danville should see this KV-1 in 2011 along with my X Panther G and a X Kursk Tiger IE, as the new owner does participate in the battles.

Well, at least my past builds may get there, even if I never do. LOL.

John
Old 12-05-2010, 06:03 AM
swathdiver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Those Commie tanks need an extra link for that true "dead track" look.
Old 12-05-2010, 06:32 AM
HAL_HUSKER

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

why "street fighter"?

Old 12-05-2010, 07:54 AM
Rex Ross

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

[quote]ORIGINAL: C4ISTAR

• The Soviet tanker is by Andrew Designs and I got it here: http://www.mitosal.com/andrewdesigna.html.

John

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Wow! The figures mitosal has available are impressive, and the prices are great! Thanks for the vendor alert..........

And I agree with ya on yer philosophy about painting!

Rex
Old 12-05-2010, 10:29 AM
pcomm1

Comrade Hal,

OK, why don't you refer to this Tamiya KV-1 as the 900 day siege fighter at the front; the guy who just bought it can call it paid for; I will call it the SOLD Leningrad street fighter.

Happy Holidays, John

Old 12-05-2010, 10:33 AM
yellowshaker
My Feedback: (1)

I had the opportunity to run the commander's KV-1 at a battle day recently and I thought it was a great runner too! tamiya did a great job on that tank. It has great sounds and is a very good, durable fighter too!
Old 12-05-2010, 10:36 AM
pcomm1

ORIGINAL: swathdiver

Those Commie tanks need an extra link for that true "dead track" look.
swathdiver,Yes, I agree, just like that "dead on delivery" Mato Sherman VVSS tank you had a hand in designing?

Old 12-05-2010, 10:56 AM
pcomm1

yellowshaker,in my opinion, the KV-1 is clearly the bestNEWTamiyaRC tank kit to date and I have built the Panther G, Jagdpanther and the Pz4J in the last 3+ years (the Pz4J placing a close second).

But now I am going back to building one of them Nasty Nat-Zee Tiger II Normandy panzers and give it the same build tactic as the KV-1 with full option, recoil, spring loaded return idlers etc etc.

Reading about and modeling the good and bad guys armor used in the WWII ETO are the subjects I enjoy best.

John

Old 10-16-2011, 05:33 PM
mfpage

Pcomm1,

Do the Tamiya Colors TS-2 and TX-61, Dark Green, actually match the upper hull KV stock colored plastic?
I'm asking because I want to paint the lower hull and not have to paint the upper hull.

Regards,

Mfpage

ORIGINAL: pcomm1

• Read and thencopy & "lift" Mig's new style weathering approach and stop when you like what you got!

• Visit:http://migjimenez.blogspot.com/searc...2F16th%20scale

• The Soviet tanker is by Andrew Designs and I got it here:http://www.mitosal.com/andrewdesigna.html

John