Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Flexible wiring

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2010, 07:26 PM
fsciorelli

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Flexible wiring

Fellow tankers,

I was doing some wiring on my Pz III project today and I encountered an interesting question. I was running some wires from the turret to a fixed connection on the hull. I had to add a wire that was not there already, and had previously purchased some 20 awg, stranded with I think PVCinsulation. Inoticed that the wire was a lot stiffer than the other wiring in the tank. I also had some other 20 awg wire that's for RC applications. It says its silicone wire, which I assume means the insulation is silicone. It is very flexible.I also remember it was rather expensive thats why I purchased the other (stiffer) wire. My concern with the stiffer wire is that it will fatigue the solder joints if I use it. What is the best recommendation for wire in our RC tank applications?

Frank

Old 11-28-2010, 09:07 PM
RodgerB

Default RE: Flexible wiring

I would imagine that you have solid conductor wire versus stranded coductor cable? Solid is stiff, stranded has more flex to it. For constant movement stranded is the better choice.
Old 11-28-2010, 09:07 PM
YHR

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

All wire is not created equal. Look for the fine multiwrap wire with a silicone cover. Is is the best, most flexible wire for RC applications.
Old 11-28-2010, 09:16 PM
fsciorelli

In my initial post I accidentally said I was using "multiconductor" wire. What I really mean to say was I'm using "stranded" wire. Thanks YHR. It seems you confirmed my suspicion. Problem is it seems the silicone jacket wire is a bit pricey, like more than a USD/foot. Oh well, shouldn't need much.

Update: I did find the 20 awgsilicone wire for a less than a USD/foot, 130 strand, in red, black,green, blue yellow, white

http://www.testpath.com/Categories/T...FR9NgwodBCr3Ww

Frank
Old 11-28-2010, 10:14 PM
Tanque

Received 95 Likes on 82 Posts

It isn't just the insulation, pay attention to the number of strands in your stranded wire. The finer the strands the better; I'm not sure the standards by each gauge but there is some tolerance with stand/ thickness per stand and overall current rating.

A good example of gauge vs gauge flexibility is the type of wire used for test leads vs normal strand wire of the same gauge and
insulation type.

Jerry
Old 11-30-2010, 01:38 PM
Panther G

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Tangue is very correct. The more strands the better for DC voltages.